How Many Arrows?

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm new to hunting with a bow. Curious as to how many arrows you experienced guys take on a hunt. I have a 5 arrow quiver. Assuming guys carry a full quiver plus some extras in the pack. ?? Would this number change based on how many days you are out and how far out you are?

If you do carry arrows other than in your quiver, what is your preferred method for carrying arrows in the pack? i.e. Easton tube or something like that?

Thanks

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I take either 5 or 6 depending on what bow I take. That has always been more than enough for me. Taking more is a waste in my opinion and not needed.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
5 in the quiver, if you get 5 shots in one trip it would be a great trip in my opinion. I hunt 99% back pack hunt which generally means one tag in my pocket. If I thought I needed more I wouldn't bring an arrow tube as I would think a couple extra would be fine. Put them in your pack and go.

I use a six arrow quiver, five broadheads and my bird arrow. I think if I took enough shots to run out of arrows and didn't bag any game I would walk home to practice.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's different in Colorado because we are usually hunting with 3 tags each in our pockets (bull, cow and mule deer), so for that reason take several. I also shoot every grouse I see (within the legal limits of the law) and on a 10 day backpack hunt that can be a lot of shooting.

5 in the quiver and 5 in the pack (if it's a multiple tag hunt)

5 total on a short hunt for 1 species

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's different in Colorado because we are usually hunting with 3 tags each in our pockets (bull, cow and mule deer), so for that reason take several. I also shoot every grouse I see (within the legal limits of the law) and on a 10 day backpack hunt that can be a lot of shooting.

5 in the quiver and 5 in the pack (if it's a multiple tag hunt)

5 total on a short hunt for 1 species
Just stuffed in a side pocket? Extra BHs / tips in a case of some sort?

D

david long

On a backpack hunt I have three in the quiver and six extra in the pack for a total of nine.

I normally carry around five arrows for a number of reasons. First, to keep my bowquiver balanced, second to give me some backups because you might need a follow-up shot (game animals tend to move at the most inconsiderate times for some reason), and third, like Aron, I like to carry a mix of arrows with me, normally three broadheads and some flu-flu's or a mix of flu-flu's (for small game) and field points (for stump shooting).

ozyclint

WKR
it depends what type of hunting really. some hunts where you guys only have a tag for one animal only need a few arrows. over here it's generally different. on cape york you can easily go through half a dozen arrows in a day. i've got a NZ trip for 13 nights coming up. i'll be carrying 10 arrows. six in the quiver and four spares. because i'm a trad bowhunter i like to try and keep my feathers dry. i made a small rubber spacer that i slide the arrows through to stop the feathers from being squashed together when they are strapped to the outside of my pack. i made a silnylon cover to keep them dry.
IMG_3416.jpg

IMG_3417.jpg

Pond

FNG
I have a six arrow quiver and normally carry six BH or five BH and a judo. I will have a case with a dozen back at the main camp if needed, plus field pt arrows for practice and playing horse in camp.