How many arrows?

pronghorn

FNG
I am not what you would call a back country bow hunter. I am considering a back country hunt this year though. So my question is, how many arrows do you take on your pack in trips? Assuming a full quiver of 4-6 arrows, do you take extras in your pack? Or just extra broadheads? It should be noted, I'm a well above average shot...;)

bowinhand

WKR
Only the four in my Qwikee. Should only need one and hopefully not two, right? BUT there's always the distraction of grouse and marmots...

H.F.!!!!! I was seeing looking at your pics earlier..you know where to find me :) lets talk!! On the subject of # of arrows. The last few years I have used the Tight Spot quiver ( 5 arrows ) and thats all I have taken in with spares back at the truck and spare heads in my pack. This year ... I am looking at running a 4 arrow standard hoyt or the fuse. I am not breaking arrows in the field but I am carrying a few extra heads since I have multiple tags at once.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I pack 5 in my Tight Spot and additional arrows in my pack. The total # depends on the amount of days I'm going, but the additional arrows are for grouse and marmots. I normally have 2 elk tags and a deer tag in my pocket, so that makes a difference as well.

MJ from Oregon

Lil-Rokslider
I'll carry 4 besides the 6 I usually carry in my quiver. Never needed them but i remember one of my partners taking a fall and bending his FMJ's in his quiver.

MJ from Oregon

Lil-Rokslider
This might be the tube Rick is talking about. It weighs just shy of a pound but I have one I have cut down and drilled the shit out of it and saved not quite half. I use to just put them in my pack (which you can) but the fletching will become distorted. To fix your fletchings in the field just boil some water and put the fletching in the water for 20 to 40 seconds. They will return to original shape.
The reason I carry them in a case is that I can tune them at home before my trip rather than dicking with them when i should be hunting.

2012-03-04_08-25-53_279-4.jpg

Last edited:
OP
P

pronghorn

FNG
The biggest reason I ask is because I really like to shoot my bow and carry a judo in my quiver. I take a shot or two every time I'm out in the field. Since I have started doing that my confidence in the field has risen dramatically.

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
I have never carried extras ,but after a fall I took this late season blacktail hunt it has opened my eyes to the reasoning. Being I broke all but one arrow in my quiver and bent my quiver mount... So the thought of it has crossed my mind for this coming first season what ifs can be a hunt wrecker and although you cant prevent all some you can put up a fight against!

D

david long

Nine arrows total....what doesn't fit in my quiver, I simply strap onto the side of my pack.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use a Mathews 5 arrow quiver. Then on the pack in I electrical tape 2 more to ther arrows that are in the quiver, then put a strip of electrical tape across the tops of the arrows/quiver. After getting camp set I take the 2 extras plus the 5th arrow out of my quiver, and leave at camp. 4 arrows in the quiver is fine, and leaves me 3 at camp in case I were to bend or break some in a fall.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I take either 5 or 6 arrows with me on my bow, depending on which bow I am packing. usually a couple extra broadheads or a judo tip for fun.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Compound, 4 plus one judo for grouse. Stick bow, I pack a few more:p