How many clothes to pack?

Family Man

Lil-Rokslider
I'm doing a 12 day float out of McGrath. The weight limit is generous at 150 lbs but I don't want to bring more than necessary.

Plan to wear Sims G-3 most of the time with a pair of fleece wading pants everything else will be Merino Wool?

So how many pairs of Wool Socks?

How many Wool base layers Tops and Bottoms?

Underwear?

Mid Layer shirts?

mooster

WKR
I hunted moose last year and lived in my Simm's for 13 days. I had three pairs of wool hiking socks and two pairs of heavier wool socks to layer up for cold mornings. My socks were very tired by the end of the hunt.

For a twelve day hunt, no matter the game, if weight was an issue, I would take,

3-4 pairs of wool socks, plus 1 pair heavyweight wool socks
2 each upper and lower wool base layers (lightweight, medium or heavyweight, depending on weather)
6 pairs of drawers
1-2 mid layer shirts

With the luxury of a generous weight limit, I might bump these numbers up a bit. The drawers would be the first to be increased.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I've done quite a few 10-day pack-raft and light raft floats...they are my favorite...you're going to have a fun adventure! Answering your specific question...at minimum I always have 2 base-layer bottoms and tops (consider adding a third base top...hopefully the sleeves of one are going to get pretty bloody!), 2 mid-layer tops, and 4 pair of heavy socks (and two pair of very light base under-socks).

Going beyond your specific question...

Make sure you have a rain coat that you can trust...and consider taking a back-up. I'm sure you've already planned some kind of synthetic insulation jacket to wear under the rain coat on cold and windy days when rafting. For my hands, I'm always wearing heavy fingerless wool gloves when I'm in the raft (bring some white bandaging tape with you for your fingers!)....I also have a pair of neoprene gloves as a back-up that I can put-on when in the raft if my hands get really cold, but in reality (for me) I seldom use them the whole trip (to me they're a hassle putting on and off). When out of the raft at the end of day I have a different pair of warm gloves with dexterity that I can put on as needed...and often do.

Also, getting out of my waders at the end of the day (if it's not raining!) is a welcomed moment for me...I always bring a light pair of shoes, water-proof Sealskinz socks, and puffy pants and jacket.

Sorry if I went too far beyond your question...have a great adventure!

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Most people over pack clothes. I agree with everyone's statements above...solid.

My goal is one medium drybag (Watershed brand) for all clothes not worn. In that bag for 11 days is usually 1 pair of undies, 5 pair wool socks, two pair of wool gloves, shemagh and wool hat, 1 Tshirt, 1 medium weight wool leggings, 1 pair utility pants, rain top, and a heavy wool/acrylic sweater.

Worn is 1 pair pants, undies and socks, cotton t-shirt, medium layer wool sweater, insulated jacket, 2 bandanas and a ball cap.

waders: SIMMS G3 worn almost exclusively. Rain top and jacket swapped out as weather dictates. All worn when the shit hits the streets.

Can't emphasize wool enough. Easy to dry and warm when wet.

bmrfish

WKR
Most people over pack clothes. I agree with everyone's statements above...solid.

My goal is one medium drybag (Watershed brand) for all clothes not worn. In that bag for 11 days is usually 1 pair of undies, 5 pair wool socks, two pair of wool gloves, shemagh and wool hat, 1 Tshirt, 1 medium weight wool leggings, 1 pair utility pants, rain top, and a heavy wool/acrylic sweater.

Worn is 1 pair pants, undies and socks, cotton t-shirt, medium layer wool sweater, insulated jacket, 2 bandanas and a ball cap.

waders: SIMMS G3 worn almost exclusively. Rain top and jacket swapped out as weather dictates. All worn when the shit hits the streets.

Can't emphasize wool enough. Easy to dry and warm when wet.

One pair of undies Larry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I did not take fleece wader pants and wished I would have. I had 2 pair of aerowool First Lite long underwear I planned to rotate and ended up wearing both together under my G3’s a couple days.

Putting my Kifaru pack rain cover over my legs to block more wind worked while calling and glassing a couple cold windy afternoons.

I got a pair of Terramar fleece wader pants after the hunt I’ve liked since. I wear them predator hunting some cold days too.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I did not take fleece wader pants and wished I would have...I got a pair of Terramar fleece wader pants after the hunt I’ve liked since. I wear them predator hunting some cold days too.
I always brought fleece wader pants and used the heck out of them for twenty years or more...until I bought my KUIU Kenai bottoms.

Those insulated Kenai bottoms are totally awesome for added warmth because I can completely zip them on over my baselayer when needed (and off when not needed) without unlacing my boots and taking my feet out of my waders...I just pull my waders down to the top of my boots, and it's a quick on/off. It is beyond me why KUIU stopped making them, but I'm sure glad I bought one for me and one for my son when I did so several years back...those Kenai bottoms are ALWAYS with me and always being used multiple times during a trip!

Last edited:

mcseal2

WKR
I actually had those along. I have a pair and agree, I don’t know why they quit making them either.

I probably should have used mine more that trip while hunting. It rained so much the first half of the trip I stopped wearing them. Between sweat if I hiked in waders with them on, or rain moisture from taking them on and off in the rain I was always getting them damp. I decided to save them for time spent at camp. While at camp I’d turn my simms g3 waders inside out in the tipi to dry and wear the kenai pants under my yukon rain pants.

Once the near constant rain quit the temperature climbed to where I didn’t need them while hunting.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Most air charters ask guests to stay under 80-lbs of personal gear and food. Some operate with Super Cub and demand a 50-lb max. Your pilot will usually state when asked what that limit is for their operation.

OP
F

Family Man

Lil-Rokslider
150 lbs per person not counting the Raft, which is supplied. We're easily going to be underweight. Just want to get an idea of clothing changes.

WMR

FNG
Mine was a lake hunt so not”apples to apples”. I changed clothes less than I expected. Going back again, I’ll take less. I change liner socks most every day and wool socks about every 3. Merino base layers were great and take up little space. Will still take more than one pair extra shorts😯. I know LB is a legend and probably doesn’t stink like I do.

AKBorn

WKR
Take 3-4 pairs of good wools socks, so you can change them out each day and allow the worn ones to air out. Returning from a caribou hunt in the 40 Mile country back in 2017, my buddy and I talked with 3 float hunters at a common bush strip about 60 miles outside of Tok. They had a good hunt, shot 2 moose I believe. What stuck with me was that one guy ended up sleeping outside by the fire at night because his buddy's wool socks stunk up the tent so bad.