How many days do you spend scouting a given area to hunt?

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
A co-worker and I are looking to do a deer hunt in his home state of SC. We’re looking at a couple of areas in Sumter National Forest. were going to scout these areas this summer, but don’t know how long/many days we should spend at each spot. I am thinking maybe 1 full day at each site; 2 if a site is particularly busy with deer.

We will “Disperse Camp“ at each location to maximize our time at a given spot.

Does that sound about right?

Btaylor

WKR
I try to study the maps and mark all of the features that get my attention and then go point to point at a pretty fast pace but always watching for food sources and/or features not identifiable on the maps. This strategy, imo, is more beneficial either post season through green up, right before season or during season. In my experience, it is much more difficult to use this type scouting during summer.

Lowg08

WKR
I scout every chance I get. Except during the summer. Some places get 4-6 all day trips. As soon as the last day of hunting hits. I start scouting the next day again. I use cameras 12 months a year on public and some places will have 3-4 cameras in one area

I start with maps and e scouting. I'll then give it a day of scouting and decide from there. If it looks like a good spot after the first time I'll give it more time. I do most of my new spot scouting in the spring before the green up because I can still find old sign from the previous year. I don't really do any scouting now because the woods are snow covered and you can't really see much sign on the ground. Also where you find Deer in the winter is often not where they'll be in the fall as food sources are vastly different.

MKern85

Lil-Rokslider
I do most of my scouting with a map since I have limited time with 3 young kids. Then I check out those areas when I have time. If it looks good I'll throw a couple hunts at it when the conditions are right and if not I just move on.

Jkean949

FNG
I try to get to a new area before Spring, it gives me an open area to see the forest floor a little better and good idea of late season deer trails. If I can't physically be there Huntstand map scouting with topo layer on looking for shelfs, saddles, choke points. I hunt public land and am always looking for an excuse to put miles on boots.

Rmuncey

FNG
Don’t over think it topo is your best friend mark locations to look at at home then go to them once you get there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TnRanger

FNG
Like most, I can figure out where I need to be from aerials and topos. This is mostly for rut and pre rut activity. Game cams and observation from afar are my tactics for early and post rut.