How many days?

FLman

FNG
So I'm looking to possibly buy a Kifaru 44mag. I love the layout of the bag but unsure about how many days I can expect to pack in it. I started last year backcountry hunting and bought a Kuiu icon pro 5200 which has enough room for packing in for 5 days. my gear wasn't ultralight by any means. I am looking to reducing the weight of my gear and the amount of space it will take up with higher quality gear.

I'm not looking to be one of those guys that can get 14days out of a JanSport bag but I don't want to spend the high dollar price tag on a bag and not be able to get 3-5 days out of it.

anyone on here have the 44mag bag with some experience on what I could expect? I am looking to use this with a seek outside hot tent setup. my plan is one guy carries the tent and my buddy carry the stove.

I don't have a 44 mag but it's worth asking these questions.

What season are you hunting in? If you need to carry plenty of warm clothes, the space in your bag will be greatly reduced.
What sort of food do you carry, and how much space does it take up? How much space does your stove system take up?

OP
FLman

FLman

FNG
I don't have a 44 mag but it's worth asking these questions.

What season are you hunting in? If you need to carry plenty of warm clothes, the space in your bag will be greatly reduced.
What sort of food do you carry, and how much space does it take up? How much space does your stove system take up?
I plan to hunt gun in October. I use the first lite clothes which I feel doesn't take too much room. for food, I eat packets of oatmeal in the morning, jerky, and snack bars throughout the day. Tuna or noodles for lunch and for supper I do a mountain house. I could probably fit all of it in an XL Kifaru pull out. I will know when I get one in.

The stove packs down to roughly 8.25" X 14" X 3" tall.

WVTrooper

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 44 and you can get 3-5 days out of it. If you are concerned about space, but like the layout, why not move to the Ma Duece? Not much heavier but but significantly more space.

Again, for minimal weight difference, and more importantly minimal cost difference, I would encourage guys to go bigger. My Hoodlum I believe is advertised at 6500 but I guarantee you will cinch down every bit as compact as the .44 mag. So will my DT1 which is advertised at 7200 I believe. My buddies Reckoning, same thing. And I’m not limiting myself when I do decide to pack in for 10+. The only difference from 5-10 days is the amount of food and if you are packing water in or not.

Last edited:

WVTrooper

Lil-Rokslider
Again, for minimal weight difference, and more importantly minimal cost difference, I would encourage guys to go bigger. My Hoodlum I believe is advertised at 6500 but I guarantee you will cinch down every bit as compact as the .44 mag. So will my DT1 which is advertised at 7200 I believe. My buddies Reckoning, same thing. And I’m not limiting myself when I do decide to pack in for 10+. The only difference from 5-10 days is the amount of food and if you are packing water in or not.
I couldn't agree more. I have the Hoodlum and and 44mag. I've also had the Reckoning. Sold it to a buddy when the Hoodlum came out because I didn't care for the open side pockets. Thought I'd give the 44 mag a try when it was released as I thought I'd like the organization (I have a Shapecharge that I use everyday). The organization is convenient, but its not a make or break for me. I've found I'd rather have the extra room if needed. I'm with @trophyhill on the compressibility of the Hoodlum. It can be made to be pretty small. Also I can throw on a Guide Lid or OGL for even more CI or I want some organization.

bruno59

WKR
I have been using the 44 mag since it came out 3 to 5 days early or late no problem for me but if you are going with one bag only and wish to do a week or more then just get the bigger bag ma deuce or something like the hoodlum i don't go out more than 5 days so the 44 mag is perfect for me

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
Where will you be hunting? Opening rifle here in MT (end of October) was super cold...I've had a 44 mag and I could not have put the gear needed for me to stay warm in it for 3-5. I run cold though.