How many easterners headed west solo this year?

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
Another no?? What’s the hold up???

Paralysis by analysis. Get overwhelmed by the tag applications, planning, etc. There's always an excuse, never a good one but always one none the less. As odd as it may sound the idea of taking it on solo is another reason

OP
F

freshta

WKR
Paralysis by analysis. Get overwhelmed by the tag applications, planning, etc. There's always an excuse, never a good one but always one none the less. As odd as it may sound the idea of taking it on solo is another reason
I get that. I was kinda the same. But once you go, you will see that it’s not that big a deal.

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider

Hey what part of VA are you in? May be able to help with the whole not going solo thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DBARDSLEY

FNG
I don't think your crazy, it all depends what your hunting, I came from out east to live out west this year but have hunted the last 6 years with a buddy every fall in Idaho. I haven't done a solo deal myself out here but can certainly be done on a deer...elk is possible depending how far or how much effort you wanna pack.

Scottyboy

WKR
Not sure what you consider east...or west, but I am traveling west to Nebraska from Minnesota. Hope to do this exact trip every year for the foreseeable future

netman

WKR
I made three separate solo trips out West last year. I had a great time. Me, myself and I are going west two trips this fall starting in September.
I have a lot of shit in my memory I’m trying to purge after nearly thirty years in LE. These trips do me wonders.
Once you go you will wish you had started solo hunting a long time ago.

Heading to Montana archery elk hunting in September. This will be my first solo trip, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little nervous about going solo.

I'm in the same boat. Done a lot of solo trips, but that was when I lived in CO and hunted a few hrs away. Edit: where are you coming from? Obviously out of state, at least, but is Montana a good ways from you?

Now that I moved back to MD, I'll likely be doing a few western hunts solo in new areas (MT and ID) - not really sure why the longer trips make me a little nervous, but I understand where you're coming from!

Was planning on starting next year, but have been thinking of sneaking out there for a week or so this fall...we'll see!

The suggestion to get an Inreach is a good one. Consumer products in that market have come a long way recently...will likely pick one of those up.

Brianr

FNG
I'm in the same boat. Done a lot of solo trips, but that was when I lived in CO and hunted a few hrs away. Edit: where are you coming from? Obviously out of state, at least, but is Montana a good ways from you?

Now that I moved back to MD, I'll likely be doing a few western hunts solo in new areas (MT and ID) - not really sure why the longer trips make me a little nervous, but I understand where you're coming from!

Was planning on starting next year, but have been thinking of sneaking out there for a week or so this fall...we'll see!

The suggestion to get an Inreach is a good one. Consumer products in that market have come a long way recently...will likely pick one of those up.
I’m coming from central Missouri, it’s about 19 hours to where I’m going in Montana.

OP
F

freshta

WKR
I think the most daunting thing about the whole trip is the 30+ hr drive there and back. There’s no way I could ever be a long haul trucker.

Heading to Bethel, Alaska in less than 60 days for an Alaska-Yukon moose hunt. Not solo but with a buddy because the transporter requires 2 hunters minimum per group for safety reasons.

Trial153

WKR
I do it every year. Four trips planned this year , three west and one east.

Last edited:

Pramo

WKR
I head West every year and solo most of the time. I fly so I can have more time hunting , the downside is it does limit some trailhead options due to rental cars.

I lived Maryland my whole life and now I'm in Mount Pleasant, SC I haven't even met a western hunter down here. I get some strange looks doing training hikes in my neighborhood.

manitou1

WKR
My first solo trip was by accident. Guy had another commitment come up.
After the first one, I realized how liberating it is to finally get away from EVERYTHING and wake when I want, pee when I want, eat when I want, and hunt when and how I want.
It is one rare time when a person can be totally selfish and not worry about other's opinions, thoughts or needs. Almost a spiritual experience IMO.

OP
F

freshta

WKR
Same here.
Where u be headed?
My first solo trip was by accident. Guy had another commitment come up.
After the first one, I realized how liberating it is to finally get away from EVERYTHING and wake when I want, pee when I want, eat when I want, and hunt when and how I want.
It is one rare time when a person can be totally selfish and not worry about other's opinions, thoughts or needs. Almost a spiritual experience IMO.
Same here brother!