How many easterners headed west solo this year?

3 to 5 trips a year typically if you include scouting trips.

Last year did two bulls and a muley solo plus a couple scouting trips. I did rent llamas for one elk hunt and inreached a packer for horse assistance on the other though..

Last edited:

jspradley

WKR
I'm headed to NM from TX in December for archery elk solo.

And yeah everyone thinks I'm nuts too, the biggest secret is not letting them know it's not really that big of a deal, let them have the mystery. Lol

If the Sandhills of Nebraska count as west, then yep I'll be out there but not solo as I'm taking some guys from work for rifle season. I am however going to try and pick up a leftover 1st season rifle elk tag in Colorado since I got the ok from the wife for us to head out there for our anniversary if I can grab one. I'll be going solo most of the time on that one if I'm lucky, though she would join me out there some. Arizona OTC archery deer in late December might happen as well, especially if attempt at getting a leftover falls through. That would again be solo hunting with the wife joining some just to help out. So not really solo, but not really teamed up with anyone either when it comes to hunting.

Last edited:

Backyard

WKR
My wife and I are going from Iowa to Idaho this year for a first time Mule deer hunt. Solo as well. At the very least we'll see some beautiful country.

Is that new math? Where I come from, solo means 1. JS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heading to CO solo from NJ so will pass right by all you PA guys. Originally planned on Idaho but I just couldn’t wrap my head around making that drive alone without taking the better part of three days each way... which is more than I’m willing to commit to the travel.

I flew to MT the last two years but as others have said, it’s nice to have your own truck and all the gear you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLS

WKR
Going west from SC, for two weeks in Oct. WY for antelope and Mule deer then CO for first rifle elk. Back to Iowa in Nov for archery deer.

Last edited:
I hear ya man. Everyone thought i was nuts going to Montana solo last year. Planning to go back next year

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JtAnvil

FNG
Heading to ID otc mule deer for the first time this year, living in central Nc I’ve been to Montana couple of times. I’m always looking forward to the adventure hopefully bring home a nice respectful buck

I’m 48 years old and my mother still thinks I’m 8 and continuously warns me that a bear will get me. :LOL:
Sounds familiar. Our parent's generation grew up being scared of anything outdoors with teeth. My 81 year old father still sends me newspaper clippings every time there is a bear or cougar spotted in their state. I have no idea why he's still so shocked by it.

As for your hunting buds, lots of folks are technically hunters but there are a lot of ways to hunt. Some more "hunting" than others. We have folks 'round here that sit in heated box blinds and watch timed feeders to shoot 90 lb. deer with .300 Win Mags at a measured 100 yards and they call it "hunting" and don't you dare tell them otherwise. LOL

I'm headed out to CO solo for muleys this fall - at least for part of my hunt. I NEED the alone time. My wife understands that, and so do most of my close friends. I may have one or two good friends join me for part of the hunting days, but for the scouting days ahead of the season, I want that time alone. There is nothing more annoying to me than having to account for someone else, or listen to someone else's opinion when I'm on a time crunch trying to scout during the week ahead of the opener. That just stresses me out and I don't go out west to get more stress.

If folks want to show up once the season starts, then I don't really care because by then I have my game plan and I'm going to follow it, regardless of what they do.

I do enjoy having a friend at camp for a few days (depending on who it is) but not for more than a few days.

The weeks that I've spent solo in the mountains have been some of the best weeks of my life. Gives me time to clear my head and think about the things that really matter in life. Gives me time to talk to God, and more importantly, listen to God. The only thing that brought me off the mountain the last time was my wife was at home. If she had been able to come up and join me, I probably would have just stayed right where I was. LOL