How many game bags for a deboned sheep?

Elite

WKR
I have the Tag BOMB bags and I am wondering how many bags I need to fit a deboned sheep. Also wondering if a hind quarter would fit into one bag not deboned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
5, 4 for meat, 1 for cape.
and yes easily.

That’s more then I thought it would take. Good to know tho. I was thinking of only packing the 2 large ones and the small one for the cape/head

204guy

WKR
It won't take 4. Deboned 2 bomb bags and maybe the little parts bag. Probably won't be able get a bone in 1/4 in a bomb bag.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I haven't tried BOMB bags, but I carry three medium TAG bags. One for each half, and the third for the cape.

I can technically fit a whole boned out sheep in a single medium, but have generally split it up for packing purposes.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I haven't tried BOMB bags, but I carry three medium TAG bags. One for each half, and the third for the cape.

I can technically fit a whole boned out sheep in a single medium, but have generally split it up for packing purposes.

Do you know the size of your bags?

Jimss

WKR
I just boned out a large bodied bighorn and would agree with Yellowknife's estimate above. I don't know how big bomb bags are but should easily get all the boned meat in 2 medium sized bags and a life-sized skin in a 3rd bag.. A pedestal or shoulder mount cape would fint in a smaller bag.. There really isn't that much meat on a mature ram. They are mostly belly. Their hind quarters are a chunk smaller than a mature whitetail buck.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I just boned out a large bodied bighorn and would agree with Yellowknife's estimate above. I don't know how big bomb bags are but should easily get all the boned meat in 2 medium sized bags and a life-sized skin in a 3rd bag.. A pedestal or shoulder mount cape would fint in a smaller bag.. There really isn't that much meat on a mature ram. They are mostly belly. Their hind quarters are a chunk smaller than a mature whitetail buck.

The BOMB bags are made by TAG, just there bones out meat bag pack. Ok that is good to know then. I will pack 3x 14”x34” just to be safe

Last edited:
My partner and I doubled up on two sheep on a backpack hunt last week. I used 4 bags, meat from 4 quarters in 2, neck and misc. in 1 and backstrap/tenderloin in another. I like to bereally organized and have the ability to easily hang the bags to cool them off. My partner only had two bags and it worked fine, but you definitely want to make sure that you clean up the meat well to keep the choice cuts free of blood, hair etc. if you do it this way.

Jimss

WKR
I'd agree with B Reynolds post above that it may be worth bringing a smaller bag to keep the prime meat separate (loins and tenderloins) so they stay free of blood. It may also allow the larger chunks of meat to cool down quicker. Also, if you keep any bloodier chunks of meat it likely is worth keeping it in a small bag separate from the others. I generally try to allow the bags of meat to air dry in brush or hanging from a tree limb so it allows any blood to drip and cool air around the entire chunk of meat. If it's super warm it may be worth placing the meat in garbage bags and setting them in a stream or lake to cool.

If it's late enough in the season after flies are gone and the temps are low enough you can likely get by with no bags (my preference). Usually boned meat gets a crust around it after it dries so if there isn't flies you really don't need bags because the outer layer is generally tossed.

Bambistew

WKR
You only "need" one bag for meat one for cape... You'll get 60-70lbs tops of boned out meat. You can get 100+lbs in the standard TAG bags (I've stuffed boned out moose quarter in them a number of times. That said I usually take 2 meat bags and one for cape. I like to spread out the meat to help cool it down, easier to hang by yourself and it also makes it a bit easier when loading in the pack... and you can split the meat between two guys. It never hurts to have extra bags, but I haven't found needing more than 3 to be necessary.

oenanthe

WKR
I like to use 4-5 smaller game bags. One for each HQ, one for the FQs, one for ribs/neck/etc., and it's nice to have an extra one for tenderloins and backstraps.

If you use smaller bags they tend to carry better in the pack. When I use just one or two bags they always seem to end up in one big blob in the bottom of the pack.

The smallest sheep I ever shot yielded 60 pounds of boned-out meat. The largest yielded 82 pounds boned out - and that was the weight after 5 days of drying out, when I finally got home.