How many game bags in your pack.

I like to carry 6 bags for an elk. I've bought 2 sets of the Caribou brand so I have a variety of the large and small bags. I find that I only need large bags for bone in rears. All else fit nicely in the smaller bags. I like to have one bag for backstraps and tenderloins only, and one for all the loose meat from the neck and ribs. I also generally have a deer tag or a bear tag so I have extra game bags in the truck in case I get an opportunity on a smaller critter while I'm out I have more game bags to replenish my supply in the pack.

mbailey25

WKR
I carry two bone in ultralight bags and an extra large game bag that's a bit heavier duty. Reason being is that I hunt alone sometimes and when I get an animal down, I want to be able to spread meat out on my tarp, bag a load or two to pack out and put the rest in the more durable bag until I make it back for another round. I leave my other bags back at base camp, or at the truck with coolers. But this keeps a little weight off during the day while I'm on the move.

Sled

WKR
depends on time of the year and how i plan to get the meat out. i hunt about 1-4 miles from the truck typically. if a lot of snow is on the ground i'll leave the hide on rear quarters and drag those out while i debone the rest ad pack it in one load.

when i started i just had TAG bags BOMB. now i typically run 4 quarter bags and 2 small bags for loins, straps and brisket meat. of course, the size depends on the game i'm after.

ChrisAU

WKR
Make sure you think about how many people will be helping you. I carried 6 TAG bags this past year, 4 large and 2 small. We got my elk all cut up and bagged with 6 bags of meat, and had 4 people (including myself) to do 2 round trips. My buddy who had a tag lent me 2 more bags which weren't expected to be needed, 1 for the cape and 1 to wrap around the skinned skull. Not necessary but nice to be able to keep our packs a little cleaner/less smellier, especially for the guys that are willingly helping. From now on I'll have the # of people in our party that will help pack x2 for # of game bags.

Make sure you think about how many people will be helping you. I carried 6 TAG bags this past year, 4 large and 2 small. We got my elk all cut up and bagged with 6 bags of meat, and had 4 people (including myself) to do 2 round trips. My buddy who had a tag lent me 2 more bags which weren't expected to be needed, 1 for the cape and 1 to wrap around the skinned skull. Not necessary but nice to be able to keep our packs a little cleaner/less smellier, especially for the guys that are willingly helping. From now on I'll have the # of people in our party that will help pack x2 for # of game bags.
you're too nice.... if there is a dead elk and 4 people, we aren't doing a second trip 😉

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
3 TAG bags in my kill kit, 3 in my partner's. We will be heading back to the truck with full loads at that point and can pick up more if we need them. After reading trough this thread I'm quickly realizing that we may be screwed if we happen to get more than one down. Might be worth the weight penalty to bring a few more.

ridgefire

WKR
I have always split my elk elk into 5 game bags. Usually the hind quarters go in a bag by themselves and the front quarters in a bag along with the backs straps and tenderloins. All the rib, neck, scrap meat and heart go in another bag. I have used the same set of Caribou game bags for a few years now and they work awesome.

ionfender

Lil-Rokslider
typically 4 or 5 for elk, but also depends on what size bags your using.

I carry 5 of the Caribou back country bags during elk season. Put them under my water bladder and forget they are there.

Buelrdr29

FNG
Anybody have experience with the HME, Hunting Made Easy, game bags? Got them for xmas and wondering how good they are. On the more affordable side. Question whether they are good enough or should I order some higher quality ones?

I did vacuum seal then down so they are ready to go and compact.