How Many Grinds

I grind once through the large plate for buger. I tried doing the same for sausage (bratwurst, summer sausage, and snack sticks) and couldn't ever get the right texture with a single grind, so now I add a second grind through the small plate for sausage.

When you say “large plate” and “small plate” what size or plate numbers are you talking?

Mine always gets mushy when grinding the 2nd time through a 7mm plate after coarse grinding through a 10mm plate first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

for basic burger... 3/16" or 4.5mm.

Most bratwurst sausage you should go for a 1/8" plate or 3mm plate and a single grind. If you were making a chilli or soup then use a 3/8" plate or a 10mm plate

2 or more grinds are only needed for things like texture. Hot dogs generally get like 5 grinds, Your plate getting clogged sounds like a blade sharpness and plate issue. I have a #32 that I got for the same price as a #22 but even still its ever taken more than 10 minutes for a 2nd or 3rd grind so I can't see why it should take more than 20 minutes for a 2nd grind

OP
GreenNDark Timber

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Just circling back on this post. I killed a deer in November and tried several different grind types. I single ground some with the small (3/16") plate, single ground some with the medium (1/4") plate and double ground some with the large and small plate.

After cooking all three I've decided if you blindfolded me and sat them all in front of me cooked I could never tell you which was which. For what I use the meat for, which is just ground meat (no sausage, brauts, etc) I've realized I'm just wasting my time with 2 grinds and will be using the med plate and a single grind from now on.

Single Grind using 3/16 plate for burger. Make sure you've greased and chilled the grinder head and the meat is ice cold, possibly even slightly frozen still

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
Two grinds for me. Second grind is a little more difficult but we run 25 pound batches so it isn’t to difficult to get it really chilled down for the second grind. I think the most important reason to grind twice is fat distribution and insure for getting rid of any potential bone chips.