How many guys spend time on lower back

shaun

WKR
Screwing around reading through the Nutrition and Fitness I noticed lower back work diddnt recieve much attention with any back workouts. I am curious if anyone else puts time in on there lower back I have always looked at lower back being one of the most important part of your body along with legs and core for hauling around heavy loads on your back. So I am curious who does amy lower back work and what do you do. Strait leg dead lifts back extensions etc. Personally I stick with strait leg dead lifts but also throw in back extensions on days I dont have much time.

Slim Jim

WKR
I do seated rows for my lower back. They work well for me using good form. They're great for lower and upper back without to much strain like deadlifts can be

Any form of deadlift works the lower back the best. Any compound move with a barbell like a squat/clean/deadlift/snatch works your lower back. Back extensions won't build stability, just a little bit of size down there in the lumbar. If you truly want to strengthen the back in general do this: deadlifts, deadlifts, deadlifts, and some cleans.

BigSurArcher

Banned
Overhead squats! Lower back keeps you from toppling over forward, abs keep you from falling backward... and you work the legs and hips all at the same time. Overhead squats have been a favorite of mine lately and they are really making a difference when it comes to other lifts as well.

+1 on the deadlifts for lower back as well.

Overhead squats! Lower back keeps you from toppling over forward, abs keep you from falling backward... and you work the legs and hips all at the same time. Overhead squats have been a favorite of mine lately and they are really making a difference when it comes to other lifts as well.

+1 on the deadlifts for lower back as well.

Yes, and front squats as well. I'm scared suggesting overhead squats to people if they've never done them before. I don't want them to log back on here and bitch about how they dropped a barbell on their head! LOL!

I prefer the overhead squat for leg workouts over everything else. For the reasons you stated above.

OP
shaun

shaun

WKR
I also use overhead squats on leg days! ohhiitznik I was just asking if anyone else worked out lower back I wasnt sure if you read it right and thought I was looking for recomendations

G Posik

WKR
I consider the lower back in the core group. I do core 5 days a week and have a few different exercises I do. I keep the exercises mixed up and never the same thing two days in a row. I do what call core(abs, obliques and lower back) all 5 days a week. I try and do 2 exercises per group everyday with high reps.

Glenn

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
always called them reverse sit ups only problem is it takes 2 or some way to lock your feet down. we use a flat table face down and hang your torso off to the ground my brother lays across my legs and hold legs down to the table and you raise up parallel to the table or higher if you can if your own weight is too light we get about a 35lbs and hold it behind your head and that usually works it pretty good for me it seems works abs on way down aand back on comming up

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Twice weekly.
Working in a health club, I see this group of muscles largely ignored until there's a problem, then that's all the person thinks about.

Every night I spend at least 20 minutes Working on my Low back and my core. I have had a spinal fusion and more disks going bad So if I want to keep back packing I have to work on it.

Sameir

FNG
Any form of lift performs the returning the best. Any substance move with a weights like a squat/clean/deadlift/snatch performs your returning. Back additions won't develop balance, just a little bit of size down there in the back. If you truly want to enhance the returning in common do this: deadlifts, deadlifts, deadlifts, and some clears.

Any form of lift performs the returning the best. Any substance move with a weights like a squat/clean/deadlift/snatch performs your returning. Back additions won't develop balance, just a little bit of size down there in the back. If you truly want to enhance the returning in common do this: deadlifts, deadlifts, deadlifts, and some clears.

I don't follow you

Eagle

WKR
Ohhitznnik, I think that's a spam bot.

Reverse Hypers are the single best thing you can do for your lower back. Louis Simmons of West Side Barbell created a machine for doing them weighted, we have a couple at our gym and they are amazingly effective. Here's a link for those that don't know what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0zjMFNjC4M

You can do them weighted or unweighted, the key is doing them correctly, and not actually hyper extending your back. They're a classic case of a miss named lift.