How many here own hunting property?

Mturney

Lil-Rokslider
My granddad owned 640 acres in central Oklahoma that I was blessed to grow up on. My mom inherited it and my daughter got to shoot her first buck this last year on that place. Its nice to be able to go home and know every tree and show my daughter where I was when I shot my first deer. Mom is selling it off to move closer to my family now but Im going to try and get her to reinvest in some more acreage closer to me.

George

Lil-Rokslider
After owning 80 acres in Iowa for ten years I sold and tried the Colorado thing. I did well in Colorado but it was more of a two year vacation. Now I'm back in the woods in northern Kentucky on 164 acres. My 1 nearest neighbor is a mile away and we get along great. If habitat and whitetails are your thing then you kind of need your own property. G

StoneBranchTopo_39ef (1200 x 605).jpg

DSC01687 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC01451 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC00559 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC00908 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC01206 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC01609 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC01676 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC01484 (1200 x 900).jpg

IMG_0065 (1200 x 675).jpg

Land is one of the best investments you can make if you’re sensable about it. I’ve been buying and selling since I was 18 as part of my retirement strategy as well as for hunting purposes. The best advice I ever got was to buy as big of a parcel as you can, as close to a growth potential town as you can and it’s better to live in a modest house and own acreage then to have a showplace home on an acre or two. Plus they quit making new land a long time ago so it’s constantly in higher demand.

My current farm is 110 acres. I’ve managed it well enough that it has produced 3 B&C bucks for us. D549A1EB-B408-428D-BA49-4E8C6CF03ACC.jpegD549A1EB-B408-428D-BA49-4E8C6CF03ACC.jpeg9F2FC02F-3249-4BA8-BD54-8BA0CB732B9A.jpeg

SoDaky

WKR
I own small farms in SoDak and Ks.(480 acres and 140 acres respectively)
Fantastic deer,turkeys,waterfowl and upland in SoDak.Have worked hard to 'create' a hunting heaven in SoDak the last 16 yrs after retiring and moving here.Sadly may have to sell based on health issues.
Deer and turkeys in Ks.

"Land is one of the best investments you can make if you’re sensable about it. I’ve been buying and selling since I was 18 as part of my retirement strategy as well as for hunting purposes."

About 10 yrs ago bought a 40, put 2 food plots in and a timber harvest, and sold it for double the money in about 6 years. That gave me the green light from my wife to do it as much as I can, so bought another 40, made some improvements, and I have a standing offer on that one for about $45,000 more than I have into it.

I have shot 140"+ bucks on both pieces. Dad also has Buffalo Co, WI land for sale now that he will retire on that he got in on a good deal. There are opportunities out there, and I like the "fixer-up-ers"

OP
F
Do most of you who own land find a way to gain some income from it? Around where I would be looking most properties would have at least some acreage I could lease to a farmer. Anyone doing timber or natural gas? Airbnb?

I will be several hours from where I would buy which would make Airbnb difficult unless I hired someone to manage it.

Bisley45

Lil-Rokslider
My wife's Grandfather had about 400 acres before I married into the family. He quit ranching and sold all but the 120 the house is on and a 35 acre plot about 1 mile a way. He found out I was interested in property and said "hell I wised I hadn't sold all the other land, none of his kids could care less about having land". Supposedly he is going to leave the land to my wife. He actually said that in front of the family two weeks ago. the 120 is some of the best looking cattle pasture you could ask for....well I couldn't care less about cattle but it does have about 9 acres of forest.

The 35 is mostly pine plantation that has had one thinning. I offered to buy it but he went back to I'm leaving it you you and your wife". Not that I'm in any hurry for that to happen, he's by far one of the most interesting folks in our family.

Jcannon06

FNG
I own a small 6 acre parcel, close to a large amount of public land (national forest). If you go small acreage, and your neighboring property owners aren't exactly courteous or don't care about hunting season you can run into issues at times. Example: My neighbors run their ATV's up and down the shared gravel road during peak rut at least a couple weekends each year...That being said, I can always hunt close-by on public if I need to. If you are locked with private land owners around you, get with them, introduce yourself and try to get permissions on their properties or at least an understanding of courtesy when you will be there hunting. Best of luck.

There is nothing like hunting out your back door. It is totally different and much more enjoyable than even a short drive to somebody else's land. Had family land, lost it, done multiple hunting trips different places. As soon as I'm able I will buy a home property that's huntable and if that's the end of my trips so be it. It's nice to earn some income from a property and might be necessary, but if you start thinking about it as income it will never be what you want it to hunting wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk