How many inches to justify a shoulder mount for you?

tracker12

WKR
I’m all for looks and adventure over inches. I shot a 370 plus bull a few years ago. Can’t envision that big thing in the house. I shot a nice 300ish bull in UT I willow get done first if I was so inclined

Rockchuck

WKR
All Euros for me, they look great, are relatively cheap, don't take up a ton of space, and don't have to worry about how they will hold up over time. I have an audad hunt next winter and started thinking of different mounts for that if I tag out, but will stick with a Euro there too. Whenever I finally draw my mt goat tag, will rug that though if I am lucky enough to tag out.

slim9300

WKR
Is the bull you shot at 330" the one on the far right?

f447a8b664deca68af5f0360c3cfa7e8.jpg

30f164f254e90f030640e2f73ddc103c.jpg

49d08fa9b2da5b3ee915550d9bed5895.jpg

Yes. Pictures are deceiving. 329” gross with 51” main beams. He would have been a lot bigger if he had decent tine length. The other two 6 points are 299” and 293” but the lower is a Cascade Roosevelt. I have a handful of others in the 260-280s all gross inches since I will never submit an animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
f447a8b664deca68af5f0360c3cfa7e8.jpg

30f164f254e90f030640e2f73ddc103c.jpg

49d08fa9b2da5b3ee915550d9bed5895.jpg

Yes. Pictures are deceiving. 329” gross with 51” main beams. He would have been a lot bigger if he had decent tine length. The other two 6 points are 299” and 293” but the lower is a Cascade Roosevelt.

Great bull. The one I shot last year is around 330”, just rough scoring. He’s at the taxidermist, so I’ll measure him when I get him back. looking at yours and looking at mine, makes me think he’s at about 330”. It’s the same bull that’s my avatar pic.

slim9300

WKR
Great bull. The one I shot last year is around 330”, just rough scoring. He’s at the taxidermist, so I’ll measure him when I get him back. looking at yours and looking at mine, makes me think he’s at about 330”. It’s the same bull that’s my avatar pic.

That’s a great one! It’s hard for me to pass up anything that’s a mature 5 point or even the small 6 points. After all these years of killing elk with my bow, I still struggle to keep it together in the heat of the moment. There is nothing like that feeling.

I have a 337 in the house and a 320 both with just a skull cap. I have a 350 in the barn. Both are a big enough headache keeping the cob webs off of them. Having a shoulder mount would even be a bigger mess.

I have piles of muley horns in the barn and no desire to put them on a wall. They are just fun to look at once in a while and remember when.

All that and I have a 16 ft wall for them. I can't tell you how many houses I have been in where it would be dangerous to wander in the dark.

Hntelk

FNG
Just euro for me, I use that extra money to do more hunting, euros are easier to move around and adjust. I did a shoulder mount my first nice bull 320" ( had killed several rag horn-good meat bulls) and was talked into it by taxidermy, should have listened to my gut because I was pretty new to elk hunting and thought I would never get a bull bigger then that...Now only way I will go to shoulder mount is 400" plus...I doubt I will have to worry about that in this lifetime, LOL

wapitibob

WKR
zero
When you die your kids get to haul the shoulder mounts to the dump. They can toss the euros in the back yard for the squirrels.

Been seeing a lot of these 'I don't do shoulder mount' threads latley.... Guess I'll be the odd man out here. I love dead shit on the walls. Just wish I killed more, bigger animals to throw up there.

Fun fact, my buddy and I have a beattle skull cleaning side hustle and I personally wouldn't ever put even the nicest euro in my house. That's a shop piece for me.

I do have my first bull which is also my only nice bull on the wall. God, what a PIA to always have to find a place to put it. House shopping taking that into consideration... My youngest just got her own room and I got kicked out of my office so my bull is now in my in-laws house, next to my father in law's first. As far as the original question, my mother in law would be pissed but if I kill one 1 inch bigger than the one I already have on the wall, she'll have three bulls in her stairwell.