How many layers?

trevore

Lil-Rokslider
How many layers do you guys use when the temps start to drop or when you stop and glass? I've read that you should have a base, mid, insulation and then shell. I ask because there were a few times this year I was chilled.

I'm curious: do I add more layers or stay with same number of layers and just up the r value of those layers to maintain breathability?

Thanks

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I had the same problem. I started using a light weight insulated vest for the last few years. Last year I used the Kuiu spindrift. It tips the scales at 13 oz and worth its weight in gold.... It also makes a great pillow.

Ryan

bowinhand

WKR
One wants to get their clothing system as versatile as they can. Look at the KUIU system for a great example, there isn't much that is overlooked or unnecessary. Later season hunts such as November I'm wearing more merino wool and wind resistant layers. Also thick merino wool socks and appropriate gloves and head wear.

aggieland

WKR
I typically freeze every year. "Very cold natured" But after getting the KUIU gear the only extra piece of gear I carry is a base layer type pant. the KUIU worked wonders last season.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I too run cold, and became a big fan of the Integral Designs Pertex windshirt last season. It only weights a few oz (3 I think) and helped me to stay warm in breezy weather with just my base layers and a wind block vest underneath. Doesn't add any insulation, but also doesn't weigh much at all and packs up to the size of my fist. I particularly used it when I was hiking, as I usually bust out a puffy jacket if I stop for any length of time.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
When the temps drop, I will run one medium/heavy weight base layer, then the kelvin jacket by sitka or my lucky wool cut off shirt and then either the Kuiu Guide Jacket or a wool sweater. I will mix and match items depending on what the weather is projected to be. Wool tends to be heavier, but its warming properties are tough to beat at times.

This season ran all KUIU. I am naturally chilly as well. I just add a light weight base (Merino Wool) with the Attack Pant and on top the 185 with the Guide Vest. When I glass I just all the Spindrift and if I need a little more then the guide jacket. I also found the 185 Merino Beanie and the Guide Beanie to be incredible!! The best pieces (most over-looked/under utilized) from KUIU: Spindrift and the 185 Merino Beanie!!