How many lumens?

ktowncamo

WKR
"How many lumens?" is directly related to "How much do you want to spend?" For most mountain and camping uses, I've found that around 50 lumens is good, but if you're in the 70-90 lumen range with a multi-setting headlamp that will give you a 20, 50 and 80 lumen output by toggling through the settings that you'll be set. That said, I carry a handheld 214 lumen SOG Dark Energy flashlight (I also have the Fenix PD20 that I carry once in a while as it's lighter and runs on AAA vs. the more costly CR123) so that I have a dependable back up light and can push 200 lumens if I really need it.

I've loved the BD(Black Diamond) lights and own the SPOT, although it's not been my go to light this year. The Princeton Tec Remix Pro I picked up on Camofire for $28 or so gives me 70 lumens on the max bright LED and has been great this season. More importantly is the 2 mode red 3-LED on one side of the Remix that I surprisingly have used more than I thought I would. The only drawback is the CR123 battery cost.

I don't really live or die by the made in the USA, but it is nice that Princeton Tec lights are made here and for the dollar deliver a great light. If it were me and the choice narrowed down between BD or Mammut I'd choose BD as they are at least US (and Utah) based.

Last edited: