How many lumens?

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking of upgrading my headlamp, lots to choose from obviously,

Whats everyone using, and how many lumens should i be going with minimum?

Lorne

I like 80-90 lumens and Black Diamond has some good models that are in the $50 range. I did just pick up a new Petzl that maxes out at 300 lumens and self adjusts its beam depending on light reflection, good lord, it's bright!

Chuffness

FNG
I also use the Black Diamond Spot with 90. Works great. Sometimes when im in the open I wish i had just a little more power though. But for the price it seems like the best bang for the buck.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The Apex Pro is a great headlamp for sure!!! I really like my Mammut headlamp with the adjustable beam focus. Its right at 80 lumens but can focus the beam down to see further than many other headlamps with 200+ lumens. The model number of my Mammut escapes me right now though.

JNDEER

WKR
Been useing a walmart energizer cheapo that is around 40 lumens, I think. cost $20 and has been used for 5 years with no issues.

JG358

WKR
Ive been using a couple petzl tikka plus 2s. Bright enough for anything I need, I think they're 70 lumens.

mtnkid85

WKR
Ive used lots of the major brands. Between myself and my main partners though we all fell in love with the mammut lamps... That is for about a year.
The build quality of both the TX1 as well as the x-zoom just arent there. We used both extensively and they are now all held together with tape and zipties. My brothers quit on our last trip out, the wire seemed to have pulled from the battery case. With just the right amount of wiggling it would come back on momentarily. He just ordered the H51 disscussed below.
So I would say avoid the Mammuts.
BD, Ptec and Petzl we have all had fair to good results with a few exceptions, though I dont have any experience with many of the newer models.

I have moved to a company called Zebralight. They are very simple, reliable and somewhat unique lights. I believe the company has more of a handheld flashlight background but I own the H600 (18650 powered) as well as the H51 (AA powered). They are both fantastic lights which I highly recommend.
The H600 kicks out a whooping 750lm and the H51 does 200lm (which is plenty). What I find the most useful though is a nice low of around 1lm and a steady med of around 30lm with good battery life.

OP
L

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
I also use the Black Diamond Spot with 90. Works great. Sometimes when im in the open I wish i had just a little more power though. But for the price it seems like the best bang for the buck.

Settled onthe spot. on sale for 38 bucks. Love it!

I have a Black Diamond storm. I like it alot and it seems to get the job done. You have endless ammounts of adjustment you can make to the light settings. It also has a lock feature so it won't turn on in your pack and run your batteries dead. It's a pretty neat lamp.

muleman

WKR
Does any one no any thing about fenix headlamps?

I haven't used their headlamps, but found their flashlights to be worthwhile. Camofire has been running some Fenix deals the last several of weeks.

cmeier117

WKR
Does any one no any thing about fenix headlamps?

I have their HP11 headlamp and really like it. It is more waterproof than my Petzl myo and is in a different league in terms of brightness. That said the Myo has replaced it as my bright blood trailing headlamp. It just doesn't quite have the battery life I was looking forward so I sacrificed a few lumens for weight and battery life. That said it has served me well thus far and I will bring it on some trips I am sure. What model you looking at?

cmeier117

WKR
I run two headlamps at all times. I have a Myo xp and tikka xp 2 from petzl. The Tikka is the only electronic in my pack that uses AAA batteries and runtime is 80 hours on high and 160 hours on low. High lumens is 80 i think. Also has a red light. I don't even bring extra batteries as 80 hours is longer than the amount of dark I will experience on a typical hunt. The Myo xp is nice if I were blood trailing as I think it goes to like 180 lumens but also has a decent runtime on lower settings.

JPD350

WKR
I am also liking my Petzl Tikka xp2, low beam is sufficient for most activities and after your eyes get use to using the light on low the high beam seems to be very bright even though it is only 70 or 80 lumens, battery life has been excellent.