How many of you have a coach?

I just set up my first lesson with my archery coach. She's a well regarded coach (3x USA archery coach of the year) and only a couple hours away, so I'm pumped!

All this me wondering how many of you guys have a coach? How did you find your coach? Do you actively get lessons just to stay on top of things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stonewall

WKR
I tried to last year. But with all my kids activities...who am I kidding. Would like to one day. Edit. I don’t mean that negatively. Just that there’s not time for it

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a few lessons to correct form issue, but nothing on a regular basis. My local Pro Shop has a coach that does lessons so that's how I found mine.

Zac

WKR
I drastically need one, never sure if I have the right draw length. I'll probably try some sessions at No Limits.

2rocky

WKR
Closest I came was shooting a night Indoor league at a Senior Pro Archer's shop. We traveled together to shoots, and I found just shooting with him elevated my game. He taught me a lot about shooting up and downhill and the mental aspect of archery.

OP
westonadkins
Closest I came was shooting a night Indoor league at a Senior Pro Archer's shop. We traveled together to shoots, and I found just shooting with him elevated my game. He taught me a lot about shooting up and downhill and the mental aspect of archery.

Yeah those seasoned archers know a lot just from having done it so long. I haven't joined a club yet as I've been shooting in my back yard, but I hope to find some people to shoot with and learn from like that.

OP
westonadkins
Time is definitely tough to come by to simply shoot let alone get coached.

I found my coach from personal reference, sounds like a lot of you too. You guys know if there's an organization other than USA Archery that trains and certifies coaches? Or is USA Archery the place to go?

2rocky

WKR
Most "certified coaches" are dealing with kid's JOAD programs.

I read Bernie Pellerite's Book Idiot Proof Archery and got a lot out of it.

Shooting archery is more like shooing freethrows than running up and down the court playing the game.

It's about learning a stance and repeating a shot sequence over and over. Once you know what a good shot feels like it is just training your body to do it over and over.

Where a coach comes in is the mental part of it. Giving you the confidence to clear your mind and overcome target panic, for example.

if you are going to pay a coach, have a goal in mind . What do you want help with? Shooting form? Bow setup, reading wind at long distance? You have to have a clear and measurable goal.

For most hunters, a good shop does a good job and does it for free. At every club shoot there is always a guy who knows it all and will coach you for free without you even asking. (we usually try to avoid those guys)

If you want to shoot FITA or go to the Olympics, USA Archery would be the best place to look.

If you want to be a better hunting archer, time spent on the range with other good shooters is your best bet.

If you want some feedback on your form and bow setup ask the shop for help.

OP
westonadkins

Shooting archery is more like shooing freethrows than running up and down the court playing the game.

It's about learning a stance and repeating a shot sequence over and over. Once you know what a good shot feels like it is just training your body to do it over and over.

Where a coach comes in is the mental part of it. Giving you the confidence to clear your mind and overcome target panic, for example.

if you are going to pay a coach, have a goal in mind . What do you want help with? Shooting form? Bow setup, reading wind at long distance? You have to have a clear and measurable goal.

For most hunters, a good shop does a good job and does it for free. At every club shoot there is always a guy who knows it all and will coach you for free without you even asking. (we usually try to avoid those guys)

If you want to shoot FITA or go to the Olympics, USA Archery would be the best place to look.

If you want to be a better hunting archer, time spent on the range with other good shooters is your best bet.

Great advice to establish defined goals. My background is coming from shooting a lot as a kid, target and all. Did well shooting spots until target panic set in so bad I hung it up. I switched to a resistance release when I picked it back up this past year, which has been a game changer for my mental game. I have asked for a few tips and critiques at the archery shop with a lot of "looks good." I guess I was used to a lot more coaching from my target days, so it didn't really satisfy. I'm sure things are in the ball park but I am hoping for a little more.

I'd imagine I'll have a few sessions with her and maybe check in now and again, maybe a few times a year. I agree it doesn't seem like something that would need constant maintenance -- that's kinda why I wondered if people actively used coaches. Thanks for your reply!

406unltd

WKR
Nope and I guarantee it would help almost anyone. However I shoot a lot, have decent form and can shoot pretty damn good for being just some guy. More than accurate enough for hunting. Therefore I will not be purchasing lessons and I will keep videoing myself and critique what i see. I’m pretty hard on myself with just about everything I do.

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never had a in person coach, but when I started out I followed John Dudley’s School of Nock. I pretty much tried to mirror everything he did in his videos(which are free on YouTube). I can pretty much credit him to me being able to shoot with correct form. I had target panic at the beginning, and his videos really helped with this. This will be third year of having a bow and I even find myself going back and watching those videos to keep up with my form. Might be something to look into to add with your coach. As mentioned above, video yourself, and study your shot process this will highlight a lot of your problems.

ZDR

WKR
I just went back to a compound and a release in January after ~21 years of shooting trad bows (& I still do). Last time I shot a compound was 1998. Bows have changed radically since then.
The Dudley SoN videos have been immensely helpful to me.

brentr9

FNG

I wish we had a decent shop near me. It always seemed the work was half assed and the knowledge sub par. That lead me to learning to do all of my bow work on my own and self critiquing my form etc from video. I’m jealous of y’all with quality help near

OP
westonadkins
Dudley's stuff got me on the right track too. Listening to him and Snyder talk on all the tiny details that have big impacts makes me think some individualized coaching can't be a bad thing

Flycasual

FNG
Anyone try Joel turners shot IQ course? I’d love to hear your thoughts. I’m considering getting his online course.