How many of you have packed out a CWD deer?

trslabaugh

Lil-Rokslider
How many of you guys have packed out and processed a deer, only to find out it has CWD? I know its always a possibility, but I am curious to who has had to deal with that. Let's hear it!

rayporter

WKR
I have seen sick and almost certainly cwd elk in Arkansas but no deer to fit that description. however the likelihood is rather high around here that any could have it. no, I have not tested any, yet.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
The area I hunt estimates are between 2&3 out of every 4 deer have CWD we kill 4 deer there every year so chances are Iv packed many but we’ve never tested them.

I live and hunt front range too...
Never tested any of the deer until recently, and last year we killed 4 on private and 3 were positive.

They obviously weren’t packed out, but thought our scenario applied.

Paisano

FNG
Never tested any of the deer until recently, and last year we killed 4 on private and 3 were positive.

Wow! It really makes you think twice. I plan to test this year if I’m fortunate enough to harvest...

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider

Did you eat the meat on the positive deer or discard it?

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious, where/how do people get it tested? Through the state wildlife department?

Just curious, where/how do people get it tested? Through the state wildlife department?

In Colorado, you can bring the head to a CWD testing station, or you can actually remove the lymph nodes and give them to the same folks.
It’s not difficult, and I’ll all but guarantee a home test kit in the near future.
The CPW officers we spoke with said the best thing we can do is to keep hunting and testing.
The best, and only way CWD has been able to be kept in check is by herd reduction....be it CO or IL...in my experience.

Last edited:

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I packed out a cwd positive buck in nw colorado. He looked fine and acted fine, but I found very little fat when I field dressed him. I had a feeling he would be positive so I did minimal butchering - basically just froze the deboned meat and waited for test results. I tossed the meat.

ljalberta

WKR
It was a few months for me. And they usually email, however for positive results I believe it was a phone call.