HOW MANY OF YOU R 1 STICKING

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
How many of u r doing this? I need a run n gun set. Thought I was gonna go beast sticks n stand but know I'm leaning towards 1 stick n repell down. I'll b 52 this yr in good shape except for my back, wonder if I will b comfortable enough? Stuffs not cheap. What rigs r u running? This started w me going to go to a rock climbing harness instead of traditional harness. Then figured if I'm gonna wear that I should just get a saddle. Lmk, I don't c any of the guys promoting this stuff in heavy winter clothes n big boots doin this shit in all their demonstrations lmao, thnx.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Are you sure that belongs in the archery section, because it's like you're speaking a foreign language or something to me. I'm assuming you're talking about treestand stuff, but I'm not 100% sure about that even.

OP
Paridgerunner

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
Are you sure that belongs in the archery section, because it's like you're speaking a foreign language or something to me. I'm assuming you're talking about treestand stuff, but I'm not 100% sure about that even.
Yes it's saddle hunting lol all the cool kids r doin it. They use 1 stick w climbing aiders on them. Then repel out of the tree. Utube it.

fatlander

WKR
Anything is possible, but unless you have extensive knowledge of rock climbing, and the muscles you develop gaining that knowledge, I think you’re setting yourself up for failure. The longest you’re going to have is one month to prep for this year’s season.

Going from not owning a rock climbing harness to one sticking in a saddle in less than a month is going to be one long and steep uphill row to hoe. For what it’s worth, I hunt out a saddle sometimes but I use 4 climbing sticks and a platform. With all that said, I’ve yet to watch a single video of how the cool kids do their one sticking that doesn’t leave me wondering how in the world that they think that’s quiet enough to kill big whitetails. Judging by their posts of nothing but gear, and never any dead big deer, it seems to further affirm my suspicion.

Most of the one stick guys are gear junkies and they like climbing. I’m sure some of them are stone cold killers, but most are the adult onset hunter type that would fit in better drinking lattes while perusing through rei in a 500 dollar arcteryx puffy that’s never seen the inside of a backpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: WRM
OP
Paridgerunner

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
Anything is possible, but unless you have extensive knowledge of rock climbing, and the muscles you develop gaining that knowledge, I think you’re setting yourself up for failure. The longest you’re going to have is one month to prep for this year’s season.

Going from not owning a rock climbing harness to one sticking in a saddle in less than a month is going to be one long and steep uphill row to hoe. For what it’s worth, I hunt out a saddle sometimes but I use 4 climbing sticks and a platform. With all that said, I’ve yet to watch a single video of how the cool kids do their one sticking that doesn’t leave me wondering how in the world that they think that’s quiet enough to kill big whitetails. Judging by their posts of nothing but gear, and never any dead big deer, it seems to further affirm my suspicion.

Most of the one stick guys are gear junkies and they like climbing. I’m sure some of them are stone cold killers, but most are the adult onset hunter type that would fit in better drinking lattes while perusing through rei in a 500 dollar arcteryx puffy that’s never seen the inside of a backpack.

Lol, challenge accepted. So your saying 4 sticks is quieter way to do it?

pk_

WKR
So I do not at all consider myself a ‘saddle guy’ or a ‘one sticker’. I do have a saddle and have used them off and on for a long time.

I did put together a ‘1 stick’ for going into very remote areas with a saddle. With a movable aider as well, standing on the ground I can get the top of the stick about 6.5’ or so high. I can climb it, easily attach my tether and move the stick up 1 time and be hunting anywhere from 10’-12’ with minimal effort/movement/noise, which is about as high as I normally hunt anyways.
48D4C23E-305B-4C46-AF5F-74F7ED6B24DD.jpeg

But TBH I am not sure I will even use it much since I also have a LW hand climber top and it is less combersome, larger platform, similar weight…

I would absolutely hate for a 1 stick/saddle to be my only whitetail ‘stand’ option. Period.

I got the Beast stand and I know it isn’t cheap but it is a phenomenal piece of equipment. I run two standard (24”?) beast sticks with cable aiders and a movable aider (swaider?? Can’t remember) and I am able to easily get 15+’ platform height and can always ‘1 stick’ up a bit higher if I need (rarely do I hunt that high). I would say this setup may be the most versatile setup I have ever run and it comes in right about 14lbs total (can’t remember exactly but it is light)

OP
Paridgerunner

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
So I do not at all consider myself a ‘saddle guy’ or a ‘one sticker’. I do have a saddle and have used them off and on for a long time.

I did put together a ‘1 stick’ for going into very remote areas with a saddle. With a movable aider as well, standing on the ground I can get the top of the stick about 6.5’ or so high. I can climb it, easily attach my tether and move the stick up 1 time and be hunting anywhere from 10’-12’ with minimal effort/movement/noise, which is about as high as I normally hunt anyways.
View attachment 318724

But TBH I am not sure I will even use it much since I also have a LW hand climber top and it is less combersome, larger platform, similar weight…

I would absolutely hate for a 1 stick/saddle to be my only whitetail ‘stand’ option. Period.

I got the Beast stand and I know it isn’t cheap but it is a phenomenal piece of equipment. I run two standard (24”?) beast sticks with cable aiders and a movable aider (swaider?? Can’t remember) and I am able to easily get 15+’ platform height and can always ‘1 stick’ up a bit higher if I need (rarely do I hunt that high). I would say this setup may be the most versatile setup I have ever run and it comes in right about 14lbs total (can’t remember exactly but it is light)
I'm gonna get the Beast stand n sticks n try the saddle hunting w 1 stick. Got everything narrowed down gear wise. Some stuff like everything else is backorsered n not available.

fatlander

WKR
Lol, challenge accepted. So your saying 4 sticks is quieter way to do it?

Yes. I’m also saying you need to crawl before you walk, and walk before you run.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
I tried the one stick method on some long hike in spots in the mtns with my saddle.

Too much trouble for me to save the weight of 2 addl. sticks.

Now, im a bigger guy and older. If I was a young wiry guy, It might be worth it.

WRM

WKR
One sticking looks like asking for trouble to me, and some of the videos and comments I've seen seem to confirm that. I choose no.

I prefer (whenever possible) to preset climbing rings at height on a strap. 8 mm climbing line gets advanced thru the ring on hunt day and foot and knee ascenders to walk up the rope. Rappel down leaving ring in tree for next sit.

There are guys who also use ropes only to advance up the tree alternating legs, but it's a little too tree huggy for me (I have to climb a lot of pines).

And there are a number of sites selling aider/swaiders now.

Last edited:

Millwood21

Lil-Rokslider
I am using two beast sticks with a 3 step moveable aider. I can get 18-19’ to my platform. I don’t know about the whole single sticking idea so I stick with the 2 stick and aider method. Works nice. Still cuts weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: WRM
OP
Paridgerunner

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
Starting of w the ESS saddle, 3 Beast mini sticks w 2 step amsteel aider and Beast stand. One stick and saddle r backordered. And found the platform I want 4 saddle huntin. Are u guys using sticks goin up w a linesman belt? And u using a traditional safety harness or RCH?

Millwood21

Lil-Rokslider
Starting of w the ESS saddle, 3 Beast mini sticks w 2 step amsteel aider and Beast stand. One stick and saddle r backordered. And found the platform I want 4 saddle huntin. Are u guys using sticks goin up w a linesman belt? And u using a traditional safety harness or RCH?
I always use the lineman’s belt. I used a petzel corax last season. I bought a webbing strap that he two eyes on the end from Amazon for pretty cheap and just ran it around the waist of my RCH and it worked pretty good.