How many people are happy running a single kifaru pack for all situations? Which is your go to?

bsnedeker

WKR
As many I am trying to get a one size fits all, or at least to start with. Looking a 44mag or Reckoning.
I use the Dahl for everything. It's huge so I can pack whatever I need into it, but it compresses down really well for day hunting. Prior to the Dahl I used an Argali...I'm a top-load pack guy.

I bought a stryker from a dude about a year ago thinking I would switch it out and use it for day hunting....it has never been on the frame.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
If you are looking for a one pack which, DOES it all, consider what type of hunt you do the MOST.
Backcountry 3+ days/nights, day hunts from camp/vehicle etc.
Then you can decide which shortcoming about your pack choice you can deal with. Either pack from your list will work, just have to compress/strap pack, deal with bulk, for a day pack.

as far as "one size fits all" with Kifaru, get the correct frame size 22-24-26" for your torso measurement. Too short frame or too long and you'll be uncomfortable packing weight. Then fit your pack-frame to your body, test with weights, and adjust from there.

I like my Reck, 26" Hunter Duplex frame for those 3+ day backcountry hunts. Never used a 44 mag though.

Attachments

• Kifaru All Packs.resz.JPG
    Kifaru All Packs.resz.JPG
    283.7 KB · Views: 138

fishslap

WKR
Reckoning or woodsman. I have both and try to get by with the woodsman but I still use the reckoning when I need to pack a lot of stuff for certain activities.

As many I am trying to get a one size fits all, or at least to start with. Looking a 44mag or Reckoning.

Reckoning is a great “do it all” pack. Can easily cinch down for day hunting, or can expand with a guide lid to fit basically anything. I was able to for 8 days late season backpack hunt with room to spare. I think they have a model that is essentially the same bag but the side pouches zip instead of just cinching closed. I would consider that option for my purposes if I did it over but not worth me switching. Granted, i dont use spotting scopes and tripods either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlee56

WKR
I have the reckoning and the Stryker xl and I've ran both for all situations. I love the Stryker so far because I do mostly short or day trips but the reckoning is hard to beat.

OP
slingnlead
I am 6', 200 pounds. So dead split between the 24 and 26 according to the fitment video. I am going to try to find someone local test fit.

Out of my Kifaru bags, I think I can make any of them work as a do it all. A lot of kifaru is which pockets and where you add them. I think you get to a point where you have bags that work for certain things and you know how to use them. If I had to keep 1, it would be the Stryker XL with camp bag....but flip side, you cant make a smaller bag bigger, but you can have a Hoodlum. Either way, I could make any of em work.

Secondly, youve come to a place where dudes probably have onx location markers on maps where they buried their kifaru bags so their wife doesnt ask too many questions. If the lakes out west keep lowering levels, youll see 50 gallon drums full of kifaru bags pop up - and some nervous dudes on Rokslide.

I dont think you can make a wrong choice, a lot of it is how creative can you get by adding space with pockets and pouches without creating too much bulk.

fatlander

WKR
I’ve had them both, liked the 44 better as it had quite a bit more organization. It’s ready to go as is. The reckoning needed a lid and/or pouches to be fully functional for my needs.

I’ve moved to an SG 5900 with all the hardware replaced to kifaru buckles because it fits me much better. In a perfect world I’d have my SG frame, with an exo bag, thats all built like a kifaru.

Can’t have your cake and eat it too, so I’ve got the pack thats most comfortable under load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ten Bears

WKR
Don't sleep on the Hoodlum. Cinches down to a moderately svelte day use bag and I have made it 11 days without going back to the truck with it also.

Jimbob

WKR
I use a kifaru frame and then a DIY bag I made. I need the bag to be big enough to handle 10+ day long hunts so it must be BIG. To make a big bag work for day use this is what's important to me:

1. Organizer guide lid. This allows me to access small items easily when day hunting
2. Side pockets for the tripod and spotting scope, easy to access when I stop and glass, my pack just has small open pockets at the bottom of the bag
3. Center or side zip. Once the big bag is cinched down and the collar is scrunched down it is a major pain to try and find anything in there. With a center zipper, I just cinch everything down then I can access the main bag easily and find everything in there effortlessly
4. Strap keepers. Having 11 different 18" straps hanging down and flying all over the place is a major pain. I need to have web keepers so once I cinch all the straps down in day mode I can take up all that annoying extra slack.