How many points do I need for a decent hunt in WY?

Print the Antelope Hunt Area map from the Wy G&F website. Go to the non-res odds page and identify all the areas that drew with 2 pts last year. Highlight them on the map. Do the same for the non-res Special draw and highlight in a different color. Then investigate each area. The website has info on herd health and trends, trophy potential, public vs private land, etc. There is also info on public land access with map showing Walk-in Areas, BLM, parcels, State Trust parcels, other federal lands, etc. Note that Walk-in Areas can change year to year and info on parcels in the program in any particular year is not published until after the application due date.. When preparing to apply, wait until after the quotas for that year are available (usually in March I think) and reevaluate your odds for any specific area.
This year the quotas will be finalized April 19-20, 2022 at the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission meeting.

ClearCreek

Reactions: EdP

Mudslinger

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with the other guys. The 90/10 is eventually coming so my guess would be if its like this year and gets passed next year. It will start in 2024. I'm going to be burning points, that's for sure.

I've had a couple good hunts with one point. I've killed two bucks and two does with 3 days of hunting.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Elkhntr08

WKR
Glad I burned my 3 points last year and had a good hunt. Would still like to go back and archery hunt, maybe someday.

JDMotown

FNG
I've had a hell of a lot of fun for the past 3 years doing 0pt hunts. Opportunity is a given in WY.

2-3 points is plenty for a unit with decent public access. 0 point units with decent public are almost a thing of the past. 8,000 tag reduction, this year.

mod7rem

FNG
Starting in 2012, myself and family members have hunted NR antelope in Wyoming 5 times. Our last trip was 2019 and was the only year we used pref points. I think we averaged just under 6 for the group. We’ve always gotten an area we are familiar with as a second choice. In 2013 we actually each bought a second full price tag in this area because there were leftovers. How times have changed. We are going to try for the same area as a 2nd choice this year and try to build up some pref points, but I’m not optimistic.

Munkish

FNG
I'm planning on going with some friends (first western hunt for all of us) in 2023. We'll have 2 points which basically puts us in the "very limited public land" units.

But even with that, most units I've looked at have at least one or 2 areas with large chunks of public land that can be accessed if you are willing to walk several miles. You just have to map a route through the narrow strips of public until it opens up.

We're looking at it as a weird antelope hunt. We'll likely backpack in rather than cruising the roads. But that's part of the adventure, and will hopefully prepare us for future hunts for mule deer, bear, and elk.

crewcsc

FNG
Depends on the point creep when you decide to put in. Id guess 5-6ish points before you start getting close. Ive put in with 6, 7 and 8 points the last 3 years and finally drew a tag this year. The tag I wanted was 14 points and has crept up every year ive tried. I didnt want to wait an other 6-8 years and possibly never draw that tag so I put in on a less sought after unit and got lucky.

NEWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Your goals could be accomplished next year with three points in the special if you’re willing so put in some work. Good luck

If you aren't concerned about trophy quality, just access and decent antelope numbers, you should be able to have a good hunt with 2 points in the special.

As others have mentioned, I would definitely hunt at 2 points next year rather than try to build more points after the 90/10 split.

j_volt

WKR
I’m sure hoping 2 will be enough next year in the special because that’s all I’ll have.
It just depends on what you want. With two points, you’ll be forced to deal with broken pieces of public. If you aren’t picky, you will likely be able to fill the tag, but that type of hunt isn’t something I’m personally interested in. Things have changed so much. The unit I hunted in 2019 took 2.5 points and now takes 5.5 points. I can’t imagine having an enjoyable DIY hunt in a unit materially worse that that unit.

Matthew57

FNG
It just depends on what you want. With two points, you’ll be forced to deal with broken pieces of public. If you aren’t picky, you will likely be able to fill the tag, but that type of hunt isn’t something I’m personally interested in. Things have changed so much. The unit I hunted in 2019 took 2.5 points and now takes 5.5 points. I can’t imagine having an enjoyable DIY hunt in a unit materially worse that that unit.
Yeah, I don’t think I’d be picky on the size of the animal too much but I’d rather not live on OnX the whole time. Thanks for the advice.

frogman43

FNG
Unfortunately, I believe the trend to move license allocations to the 90/10 split will happen for Antelope, Deer and Elk eventually. Getting close to retirement so have come up with a plan that works for me.....
Next Fall 2023, I have a Father/Son hunt planned with my brother, nephew and my boy. They will try to draw deer and we'll all apply for Cow Elk. The following year, 2024, I'll have 14 points to burn on an Antelope tag as a NR but will be buying a house in Wyoming during the year. The following year, I'll try to score a trophy tag for Deer with my Max Deer points before becoming a resident.

In the future, becoming a resident is about the only way I can figure to reliably be able to hunt in Wyoming going forward.......and it's worth it to me!