How many states do you guys apply in for mule deer?

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I used to apply to quite a few states for mule deer, but quite honestly I'm ashamed to say I forgot the last couple of years during vet school. I'm not sure on the rules if you lose your points if you fail to apply for X years, and I plan on checking into it.

My question now is, what states and how many are you guys applying to? I'm afraid if I apply to all the states I want it could prove to be one hell of a scheduling conflict if for some reason I drew multiples in the same year. I know the possibility is low, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Right now, I've applied to Wyoming and I'm obviously going to apply to Colorado. I usually apply to New Mexico, but I'm considering trying again for Utah and Arizona. Does this seem like too much?

brn2hnt

WKR
If you manage your points and hunt choices wisely, that's not too much at all. It all depends on your goals though. Are you looking for 180 or bust? Just want to hunt every year? Rifle only, archery or muzzleloader too?

I'm fairly new to the points game as well, having recently started trying to hunt more than my usual otc units. The number of states I apply to varies. I usually look for 2 deer tags per year, at least one is usually otc or nearly so. New Mexico is an easy choice for me as they look at all three choices, there's no points and I'm really putting in for elk. So I swing for the fence there. Have yet to hunt Montana but if my elk schedule has me looking at MT it's a no brainer to pick the elk/deer combo and hunt their otc units. Utah just doesn't make sense to me starting from 0 points right now, too many tags are skimmed off, and there is a serious log jam of high point holders. Colorado is an easy choice, it's the mule deer factory. I'm still looking for a unit to put in for year after year as I will be looking for a 2-4 pt 3rd season unit. Arizona is a tough one for me, as the drop off in quality and available dates south of the river makes it tough. Might end up being a coues state, or just elk. Nevada is a must apply as they have good dates for archery and several 2-5 pt archery hunts in conducive terrain. Wyoming is also tough to justify, it doesn't have the opportunity of Idaho or MT, but doesn't have the dates or quality of CO. But points are fairly cheap and don't require buying a license. Idaho is a opportunity state, the draw is well after the rest of the states minus AZ, but not a big conflict there. No preference points so once I'm out of the waiting period I'll be back to putting in for a unit with a general tag and a later controlled hunt.

Coming from TX though ID, WY, and MT might not be on the radar as much.

OP
D

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you manage your points and hunt choices wisely, that's not too much at all. It all depends on your goals though. Are you looking for 180 or bust? Just want to hunt every year? Rifle only, archery or muzzleloader too?

I'm fairly new to the points game as well, having recently started trying to hunt more than my usual otc units. The number of states I apply to varies. I usually look for 2 deer tags per year, at least one is usually otc or nearly so. New Mexico is an easy choice for me as they look at all three choices, there's no points and I'm really putting in for elk. So I swing for the fence there. Have yet to hunt Montana but if my elk schedule has me looking at MT it's a no brainer to pick the elk/deer combo and hunt their otc units. Utah just doesn't make sense to me starting from 0 points right now, too many tags are skimmed off, and there is a serious log jam of high point holders. Colorado is an easy choice, it's the mule deer factory. I'm still looking for a unit to put in for year after year as I will be looking for a 2-4 pt 3rd season unit. Arizona is a tough one for me, as the drop off in quality and available dates south of the river makes it tough. Might end up being a coues state, or just elk. Nevada is a must apply as they have good dates for archery and several 2-5 pt archery hunts in conducive terrain. Wyoming is also tough to justify, it doesn't have the opportunity of Idaho or MT, but doesn't have the dates or quality of CO. But points are fairly cheap and don't require buying a license. Idaho is a opportunity state, the draw is well after the rest of the states minus AZ, but not a big conflict there. No preference points so once I'm out of the waiting period I'll be back to putting in for a unit with a general tag and a later controlled hunt.

Coming from TX though ID, WY, and MT might not be on the radar as much.

my home is actually outside Golden, CO. I've stayed back in Texas to help take care of my father and he is not doing very well at all. I visit my wife and kid as much as I can or they fly here to see me.

I'm not much on "trophy hunting", but like to take the biggest I have the chance to. That being said I don't hold out often unless I'm hunting our place here in Texas and that's just because I have enough trail cam pics to know what's out there. My goal is to be able to hunt a decent state each year and possibly twice a year. Colorado is a given as I put in for a high point unit and then for the same unit I elk hunt in that historically takes 0-1 point to draw. I've never really considered MT for mule deer, not to say they don't put out some great deer, just never looked at it. I don't put in for elk there either just because where I'd want to hunt is big time grizzly country and that doesn't seem like a great idea with a wife and 2 kids.

I apply for my home state of Montana then also apply for Utah, Wyoming, and will add Nevada this spring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider
This seems like a perfect thread to get a little bit of clarification on a few things related to out of state mule deer applications and points...
I'm branching out this year, with mostly starting the points game in a few states. I did apply in Utah for the first time, and my home state of Nevada is an every year thing. However, I'm a little confused on the Wyoming and Colorado systems. For this year, I'm looking to just buy a preference point in both of those states for Mule Deer(and Elk in Wyoming as well).
As far as I understand;
-Wyoming, I'll need to front the entire cost of the license, and the tags, and then I receive a refund a few weeks later for the cost of the license, and tags, just minus the application/point fee. Is that correct?

-Colorado, I'm not as clear on... I see the $40 preference point mentioned. I'm assuming I need to purchase a hunting license to then buy this preference point? Are there then other fees?

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
WA (tag amount due if draw, only apply because am a resident), OR (tag amount due if draw, only apply because used to be a resident), WY (tag amount due as apply or just buy a point July-Sept), NV (tag amount due if draw), CO (tag amount due as apply), UT (tag about due if draw), NM (tag amount due as apply), AZ (tag amount due as apply), TX (tag amount due if draw), KS (tag amount due if draw). Hunt MO OTC once in a while.

BrentH

WKR
Washington (only because I am a resident with 16 points), and I'm building points in Oregon, Colorado and Wyoming.

This seems like a perfect thread to get a little bit of clarification on a few things related to out of state mule deer applications and points...
I'm branching out this year, with mostly starting the points game in a few states. I did apply in Utah for the first time, and my home state of Nevada is an every year thing. However, I'm a little confused on the Wyoming and Colorado systems. For this year, I'm looking to just buy a preference point in both of those states for Mule Deer(and Elk in Wyoming as well).
As far as I understand;
-Wyoming, I'll need to front the entire cost of the license, and the tags, and then I receive a refund a few weeks later for the cost of the license, and tags, just minus the application/point fee. Is that correct?

-Colorado, I'm not as clear on... I see the $40 preference point mentioned. I'm assuming I need to purchase a hunting license to then buy this preference point? Are there then other fees?

For Wyoming you've got two options:
1. Put in for the draw before the May 31 deadline and select the option to get a point if you're unsuccessful. You'll be refunded everything minus the point fee, and I think there's a $13-$14 habitat stamp fee that's non-refundable as well.
2. Wait till after the draw for when wyomings points only period rolls around. Then you can buy points only and won't lose out on any of the other non-refundable stuff that comes with putting in for the draw. During the points only period a deer point is $40, elk are $50 and bighorn sheep are $100 (for non-residents obviously).

For Colorado you don't have any choice besides fronting the full price of the tag, selecting the option for a preference point in their online system when you apply, and then you wait for your refund which can be as late as June or July. You'll also lose out on some small non-refundable fees here as well, with no way to get around them. I'll probably get this part wrong so someone please correct me, but I know you can buy a non-res license of some type, like fishing, up until a certain date and have that license on the books for buying points, and if you do then you don't get charged the money for the points. It's really only cost effective if you are planning to buy points for more than one species though, otherwise if you only buy a deer point for example it's pretty much a wash.