How many times per week leading up to hunt do you train with weighted pack

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
For those of you who like to dig deep into training, you are not likely to find a more comprehensive book than this: https://www.uphillathlete.com/produ...alpinism-a-manual-for-the-climber-as-athlete/

Steve House is arguably one of the best, if not the best alpinists of this generation. His training approach, while geared towards climbers/expeditions/etc., is a great fit for backcountry hunting. I have been using it for building up endurance as well as strength via his approach, workouts, methodology, etc. and it has really improved my overall fitness, and ability to go all day in the mountains. I also climb, so it has a dual benefit for me.

work765

WKR
For the past couple months. I’ve done 3-4 hikes a week with 30pnds total. Always using my kifaru to get used to my pack. I do 3-7 mile hikes.
My plan is to increase weight when closer to season. But this will be my base weight to get my body used to just hiking long distances with a pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those of you who like to dig deep into training, you are not likely to find a more comprehensive book than this: https://www.uphillathlete.com/produ...alpinism-a-manual-for-the-climber-as-athlete/

Steve House is arguably one of the best, if not the best alpinists of this generation. His training approach, while geared towards climbers/expeditions/etc., is a great fit for backcountry hunting. I have been using it for building up endurance as well as strength via his approach, workouts, methodology, etc. and it has really improved my overall fitness, and ability to go all day in the mountains. I also climb, so it has a dual benefit for me.
I just started reading this book.
Their previous book, Training for the New Alpinism, is an excellent resource as well
One of my athletes, Janelle Smiley, is featured in Uphill Athlete

Attachments

• D79AD6FA-D684-448E-8733-C9D3D444EA0F.jpeg
    D79AD6FA-D684-448E-8733-C9D3D444EA0F.jpeg
    242.1 KB · Views: 46
OP
S

Sleeperls

Lil-Rokslider
Holy crap I'm out of shape. Found the steepest hill around still on the 40 pound bag of salt. It carries so much better than the quick crete. Did a mile up and down, up and down, up and down.

Legs turned into jello. One mile of that feels like 3 on my normal hikes.

Ceo

FNG
Another good resource is mountain tactical institute. They have plans for big game backcountry hunting. Gives you weekly schedule and helps tremendously if you have no elevation around you to train. I've used it the last 3 years and it works great for me. It will push you though. We go to Wyoming in the summer and hunting season. I'm 48 inching up on 49 and live in south Texas, flat as a pancake. Just another option for you to look at.
I throw in riding my mountain bike and cranking up the gears for resistance also. When i get few weeks out from the trip i start using an elevation mask. Hurt now so you can enjoy later.

OP
S

Sleeperls

Lil-Rokslider
Nice. Tip ceo.

Around here it's hilly with steep grades, just short distance. Only gain 20 to 30 feet but in a 100 ft distance. Then flat as the eye can see. Just depends on where your at.

I've been trying to do some of all. Just depends on the time. Like most folks I know 55 60 hour work weeks fit in where I can

Reactions: Ceo
From now until our snowpack is gone I won’t have easy access to gaining altitude.
While I’m waiting for the mountains to dry up I will be pushing a Prowler and dragging a sled in my parking lot.
The weight is based on rate of perceived exertion. I push it for 500yds.
If you don’t have access to a sled or Prowler it’s not hard to make one out of an old car or truck tire

OP
S

Sleeperls

Lil-Rokslider
Did 2.5 miles tonight. Mile last night.

Could barley walk this morning from my Sunday steep incline and decline hill. Monday wasn't bad, but today legs didn't want to work lol. Calfs are not used to that kind of decline. Figured I better start adding that as well.

Did get my boots in. Used them last night for the mile. 200gr boots even with liners to hot for this kid. I'll use them turkey hunting in the next few weeks when it's cold get some miles on them.

OXN939

WKR
Still working up average 2.5 miles daily now. 3 if I feel good. Did manage to weigh pack it's at 47 pounds. Every trip it's feeling lighter

Lots of good advice in this thread so far. One suggestion I would make, though, is to reconsider whether you want to start running. Do you hate it enough that you'd rather have a bad hunt than put some miles in? Not to say that will definitely be the case, but it's a super effective tool to consider.

Guys get real intimidated by starting out in endurance athletics. Doesn't need to be that way. Just start getting a few miles in at whichever pace you're comfortable doing, even if you have to walk sometimes. The first 25 miles you do will suck. Then, it will start to get easier. That is your body changing. There is no other training tool that allows your body's physiology to adapt to a backcountry environment so quickly.

Feel free to PM if you'd care for more detailed advice.

OP
S

Sleeperls

Lil-Rokslider
Just about got a turkey on my hike tonight lol. I've been walking a hilly walk in hunting area past few days. Got some mouth calls for the first time and decided to bring the bow. Mile into hike playing with the call got a response. Dropped my pack and found a spot. Got them to actually come in, but they didn't come where in was hoping. Shot under him. He had me pegged rather well.

All in all fun hunt/hike with weight. Moved it up to a even 50.

Did 2.5 miles tonight. Mile last night.

Could barley walk this morning from my Sunday steep incline and decline hill. Monday wasn't bad, but today legs didn't want to work lol. Calfs are not used to that kind of decline. Figured I better start adding that as well.

Did get my boots in. Used them last night for the mile. 200gr boots even with liners to hot for this kid. I'll use them turkey hunting in the next few weeks when it's cold get some miles on them.
Careful about burning yourself out. Consistency is more important than packing on miles all at once.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

OP
S

Sleeperls

Lil-Rokslider
I'm still doing 3 miles a day and if I feel sluggish I do 2 if I feel good 4. Went on a hunting/camping trip this weekend and loaded the bag like I'll be doing and did 6.5 miles no issue. Was actually really nice, but rolling hill terrain.

I take 2 days off a week. Weather has sucked since Sunday. But itching to get back outside.

I do need to change my diet a little, but still seem to burn a pound to half a pound a week. Should still reach my goal hunting weight rather easy.

*zap*

WKR
Just got back from the first night trail ruck of the year.....really wet/muddy conditions, it was awesome!

:D

A couple years ago I tried using a treadmill on 10%+ incline for 4-5 days a week for 45-60 minutes/session. I generally had it at 2.5 to 3 mph and added 2.5 lb each week until I got to 60 lb. I didn't do much else and while it probably was helpful I was still gassed on most of my hunts. Some things I probably neglected:

1) Not enough rest/recovery. I was able to keep it going without injury but I don't know if I really got the gains I expected.
2) I didn't watch my diet and I was probably 20 lb heavier than I needed going into the hunts. Even if you work out a lot you might still weigh more than optimal if you don't watch the diet, too.
3) I never did any higher intensity stuff, just slow grind. That isn't realistic since you'll need to hustle at times and deal with way steeper slopes at other times.
4) I didn't have enough time for any other strength work. I wish I had spent some time doing squats, lunges, or other strength work.

Last year I did a lot less weighted pack work but did more strength. I might have done too little pack work. I'll try to hit a better balance this year and shoot for 2 days a week a I get closer to the season.

I almost forgot. I tried that Atomic Athlete / Exo plan last year for a couple months. The tire drag looked odd but it was really tough. If anyone lacks hills I would recommend it. It certainly felt a lot like going uphill. It won't help with the downhill conditioning, but I don't think that is where most people complain.

Also, I tried the MTI step-up/down on a block/bench. It it legit if you have the fortitude to stick with it. Compared with the tire drag it also requires some level of coordination. Buy one of those clicker counters so you know how many 'steps' you do. I tried counting in my head but it never worked.

*zap*

WKR
Did another night trail ruck last night, light rain and its been a very wet spring with lot of rain the past few days so it was pretty muddy with running water in about 30% of the trail ruts. One steeper downhill is thru a very overgrown spot so the trail is it for as route....and with the horse and hiker traffic it is a mud rut so it had 2-3" of running water and I was glad to have the trekking poles. One creek that is normally 3-4" deep was mid calf depth...….Those wet conditions sure do make for a better workout thou, it was an awesome hike.

(y)

The woods are real thick already from the wet spring and the deer had a milder winter with not a lot of deep snow so the herd should be on the upswing....hopefully we will not be a hot ad last summer.