How many times per week leading up to hunt do you train with weighted pack

KHNC

WKR
I have been doing 100 20" box overs 3 days per week with 40lb ruck prior to my workout. The other 2 days i do 60 Bulgarian Split Squats with 70lbs prior. Needed to get my calves in the game.

OP
S

Sleeperls

Lil-Rokslider
I'm still rocking away. Down in weight. Down about 20 pounds since the start of this but still fat lol, but gaining.

Going to switch over to some higher intensity stuff soon and work more on lung capacity, endurance. Besides the weight this is what people talk about the most.

The draw results are only a few weeks away.

Stick with whatever works for you to get your body and mental state ready. I used to do the elliptical as my primary cardio but got so bored even with Clapton/Led Zep/Lynyrd Skynyrd blasting and watching sheep-hunt DVD's umpteen times. Living in MS you've got to be creative.
My routine last three years...and I'm going to be 62 in June.

Today-Saturday: Gym at home-90 min weights/abs/core-One-arm row; shoulder shrugs; hammer curls; abs wide-V flutters & ab roller; squat-hammer curl-shoulder press; rotating upward chop. 30-minute break then 35lb Eberlestock/switch to Kenetreks and do Steps/Hill-about 50' elevation change up/down for 90 minutes. Then catch my breath, get a cold beer, then take my wife out to dinner after she gets back from her spin class. Our home is on one of the few hills in our area...

Sunday-21-25 miles on hybrid hardtail MTN bike on bike trails-usually takes me 1 hr 35-40 minutes and have the STRAVA app to keep up with calories, miles and any elevation changes.

Monday-Rest, as Monday's the craziest/busy day at work.

Tuesday early a.m.-Stretch 15 minutes. Gym at at home-Then low back extensions; skull crushers; shoulder press; dumbbell swing-I don't have a kettle bell; various planks; ab roller.

Wednesday early a.m.-Stretch 15 minutes. Eberlestock 35lbs (Put wheat seed in 2 kitchen trash bags w 2 towels at bottom of backpack) steps/hill for 90 minutes.

Thursday-usually early day finished at work. 20-25 miles on the bike-put it in back of my truck along with small ice chest of water/electrolytes and one "Rx Bar" for energy.

Friday-Go to gym early a.m. in the same building as my office, and run 3-5 miles, shower and head to office- supposed to only work 1/2 day but usually don't finish til 430-5pm.

Start all over on Saturday...eventually, about a month before start of hunt, work up to 50lbs in the Eberlestock. I typically do some type of cycling/cardio with light weights all year, then this routine kicks in about mid-February after waterfowl season is over and we've put everything up end of January in the MS Flyway.

I'll be flying out July 29th headed to visit the Yukon with Dan Reynolds and his crew...hope to find a real old ram in the Ogilvie Mountains! And as my preference points build up in the USA, I hope to get lucky on a non-resident tag sooner than later!
Best,
DWD

brsnow

WKR
I don’t practice or train with weighted pack at all. I stay in shape and keep my core strong. Packing out elk is something I enjoy.

OP
S

Sleeperls

Lil-Rokslider
Had some misshaps with the running. I've got something wrong with me they just havnt figured it out yet. Struggle with serious inflammation issues.

Ran a few miles on Monday. Came home raised my feet etc. Went to sleep and woke up with my feet looking like swollen ticks.

Hit up the Dr in the morning. Doing more bloodwork. All levels appear fine, just off the charts on the inflammation one.

Looks like I might need to start biking to get my heart rate higher. Don't feel like not being able to walk again.

Little set back, but gotta get these lungs bigger. Can still walk with my pack, but besides adding more weight. I'm at a little over 50. With summer on the way

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure where you are at in Kansas. The YMCA where I go got some incline trainers this year, they go up to 30% incline. For interval training I have been doing 2 minutes on and 2 minutes off, 30% at 3 mph. If you can find one you might try that. I love to run, but I avoid it due to a tibial plateau fracture. The incline and speed is low impact but will get your hear rate around 160 to 180 bmp.

OP
S

Sleeperls

Lil-Rokslider
I live in a part of Kansas where the closest towns are in the 100s and the closest McDonald's or wal mart is over a hour away lol. We have a gym well kinda. Town old folk gym with a few treadmills and basic stuff.

They are open when in at work and closed when I'm off. Is what it is so I'm stuck to the outdoors.

So, high exertion burpees would be good for a flatlander to get ready for high exertion mountain backpacking if you were also doing ruck hikes?
No high exertion burpees are good for getting ready for high exertion burpees. Physical therapists, chiropractors and orthopedic surgeons don't hate them either.

work765

WKR
No high exertion burpees are good for getting ready for high exertion burpees. Physical therapists, chiropractors and orthopedic surgeons don't hate them either.

Are Burpees bad for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are Burpees bad for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are no bad exercises. There are ways of implementing exercises that are likely to be injurious.
When implementing exercises something that gets little to no recognition outside of science based or "evidence based" programming is that EVERYTHING has a cost. Not everything has a benefit. If it doesn't have a benefit, it ONLY has a cost.

The question that should be asked is, will burpees benefit my preparation for hunting?
The answer is no.
Just because you're suffering and breathing hard doesn't mean you're getting a training effect.

OP
S

Sleeperls

Lil-Rokslider
Broke down with the heat and joined the gym. Wasn't as bad as i though almost a month off due to harvest and life. One week back in and no pain. Back up 5 pounds as my diet and stress went to heck with harvest.

Will be doing a week long back pack/hike in my hunting units next week.

Months are getting shorter

I agree with TB. I personally like to hike with pack as my favorite workout , but as i age i think it wears on knees and hips. So I do less weight 30-35 pounds for most hikes and save one day for 50-60 lbs. Cardio of some sort or weight training on other days.
Fo what you like most so you keep at it.
Good luck
more than "wear ON your knees and hips" it wears OUT your knees and hips - osteoarthritis exacerbates that exponentially and there's no telling which will go first - I am 68 y/o, was a career firefighter, was a power lifter and did stairs like a madman, my favorite day was Sunday when I'd do stairs (210 stairs did 10-15 top to bottom and either loop around to the bottom or WALK back down, then straight to the gym and do a "heavy leg day", also did heavy bench dumbbell and barbell, heavy EVERYTHING - now I've had 2 rotator cuff repairs, lumbar surgery (another one probably soon), bilateral total knees - I was an elk packing machine and what did it get me ? I still pack elk quarters just differently and I couldn't care less about impressing anyone, "tough" ? don't even WANT to be tough nowadays, just pain free and happy AND hunt as much as possible