How many use a tarp?

WoodsWalker270

Lil-Rokslider
Was considering buying a tarp for glassing and as an emergency backup shelter. Is it worth the extra weight and setup time or do most people just find a tree or overhang to glass from?

jspradley

WKR
I carry a Jimmy Tarps ultralight with me at all times when hunting. It doesn't weigh much and if I need it then I'll be glad.

WKR
Grabbed a Kifaru 10x10 that I'll have with me for bear hunting this year. Get a lot of afternoon storms and then it clears up for some great bear glassing. Will just set it up for shade and/or rain. Very light and handy.

Midwest.Bushlore

Lil-Rokslider
I am more of a tent guy but I do sometimes use a tarp. I always have one along in my field kit. The tarp can be a good ground cloth if it's wet or an excellent shelter component. If you're in an area where bugs are a bit problem then a tarp is every bit as good as a tent and much less weight.

Racer00

FNG
I carry a cheap tarp that I picked up off amazon. Weighs almost nothing and is a life saver (along with a little para cord). Makes a great glassing shelter or place to ride out a mountain rain storm. And comes in handy to lay quarters on when breaking down an animal. Washes up easily, and takes up little space.

muddydogs

WKR
I carry a cheap silnylon tarp I got off Amazon as well. Works great for a shelter or a place to put quarters and it was cheap enough that I don't feel bad about abusing it.

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
I alway have a tarp in my pack. I bought the SJK Tarp. It was $99 and is waterproof, hs guy lines and can be configured in a bunch of different ways. Ive slept under it in lieu of a tent and it worked great. I use it for sitting and glassing in rain OR if the sun is out cooking me. Its pretty light and compresses nicely into a small pouch so its cheap insurance and a cheap luxury. Basically I always have an emergency shelter or if I get stuck 5 miles from camp and its getting pitch black I can always just pitch it and sleep till morning.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
I love using my DST Tarp instead of a tent for backpacking. For day hunts I'll often take it in the pack but tend to just use the shade of a tree or something for glassing just because at 10'x10' I feel like it's a little big to deal with for those situations. I have used it during rain storms though. I'll most most likely pick up a Kifaru sheep tarp or SO's small tarp for glassing cover.

LostArra

WKR
Yes
After the September bow season of 2013 I will not leave camp without a small tarp. It was worse in northern Colorado than what we had in Wyoming but still bad enough. Felt like we were treading water to glass. Literally pouring water out of our packs. A tarp would have been a blessing just to sit out of the rain for a while to glass or eat or wonder if the rain would ever stop (it didn't).

mcseal2

WKR
I usually pack a tarp. I find I like the bigger ones like the Seek DST best. I have a Kifaru Sheep Tarp but it seems just a bit small for some of the pitches I like best. For a multi-purpose tarp I like a square tarp best and at least an 8x8.

If I'm just using it as a shelter and not to glass under I like the Kifaru paratarp or megatarp depending on the hunt. Those set up quick and handle wind really well. I've spent a lot of rainy nights dry in my Megatarp. The DST has been going as my primary shelter in place of the Megatarp a lot lately though, it works well to and lets me save some wear and tear on my discontinued Megatarp.

I hunt a lot with a buddy. The Seek DST or Kifaru Megatarp are a lot nicer to put 2 people under than the smaller ones.

Mike 338

WKR
Yes on small tarp. I use the inexpensive ones and sandwich it somewhere on the outside of the pack. I never use it glassing but could if I needed to wait out a storm. Good for keeping meat clean and makeshift shelter.

dla

WKR
How about a poncho instead? Better for waiting out a storm. Can be used as an emergency over-night shelter. Great for a mid-day nap. The sil-nylon ones don't weigh much. I used to carry a pu-coated nylon one all the time until I picked up one from Golite (before they went out of business).

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a 1lb (8x10 or 10x10, cant remember) silnylon tarp, havent ever used on a western hunt. I do use it in the boundary waters here in MN as a gear shelter to keep packs dry overnight. I have also used it as a cook 'tent' before to stay dry for dinner in the rain.

bullmoose

FNG
I always bring a tarp along. Kifaru sheep tarp when I'm backpacking or a larger 10'x10' silnylon tarp when on an ATV. I like to set them up to get out of the elements when I'm glassing for a long period of time and also its great to know that I've got a decent tarp for shelter if I decide to stay away from the tent for the night.

JohnB

WKR
I throw one in the pack as well. I do a fair amount of backcountry skiing and I like having the capability to easily make a snowhole with a tarp over it if someone were to get hurt.

I alway have a tarp in my pack. I bought the SJK Tarp. It was $99 and is waterproof, hs guy lines and can be configured in a bunch of different ways. Ive slept under it in lieu of a tent and it worked great. I use it for sitting and glassing in rain OR if the sun is out cooking me. Its pretty light and compresses nicely into a small pouch so its cheap insurance and a cheap luxury. Basically I always have an emergency shelter or if I get stuck 5 miles from camp and its getting pitch black I can always just pitch it and sleep till morning.

@muddydogs and @LK2HNT, any links for these tarps?

muddydogs

WKR
I don't have a link anymore, appears that its not sold on Amazon anymore. When I found it I has just searching the net for light weight Silnylon tarp.