How many VA, NC, TN guys/gals around here?

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
We went last Saturday, there was 3 inches of snow, so it was a little muddy and nasty and cold, but it kept most people away, which I liked, not much of a crowd. lol

I canoed in and camped at Lake Moomaw last weekend and we had probably 6-7" snow in camp. Snow and rain with a floorless tipi with mud everywhere was quite an adventure.

OP
Whitetoptom

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
Picked up a couple walleye for the pan last night. Hoping to get a couple more tonight.
163c6864934f7ab6ed243ebcf7802c98.jpg

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
Did you find any fish on Moomaw?

I only took my fly rod with a floating line. The fish were too deep. Usually, the fishing is pretty good. The trout should be pretty high up as cold as the water is though

Looks like some good VA activity. The Moomaw trip in the snow looks fun and the walleyes are nice.
I'm in the hills north of Roanoke and spring is certainly creeping in.

OXN939

WKR
Picked up a couple walleye for the pan last night. Hoping to get a couple more tonight.
163c6864934f7ab6ed243ebcf7802c98.jpg

That looks awesome! Really feeling the late winter doldrums here- been months since I've had fresh seafood. Light at the end of the tunnel rapidly growing brighter, though... Both of these were ~370ish days ago

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 5.40.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 5.40.14 PM.png
    271.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 5.50.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 5.50.03 PM.png
    413.6 KB · Views: 12

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Did you find any fish on Moomaw?

I fished moomaw from a pontoon boat when i had it and never could figure them out, would love to get a boat or kayak or something to try to figure it out again, so much potential there with trout, large and smallmouth bass, perch etc. even catfish, lots of different species to go after

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
I fished moomaw from a pontoon boat when i had it and never could figure them out, would love to get a boat or kayak or something to try to figure it out again, so much potential there with trout, large and smallmouth bass, perch etc. even catfish, lots of different species to go after

So from everyone I've talked to that has had success with the trout they tell me you have to catch the alwives from the lake and use them as bait. Apparently, the trout fishing is best at night. I'd really like to figure it out too especially being as close to me as it is. There is a lot of nice trout that come out of there. I know some guys that camp and hunt on the other side of the lake and it's pretty good hunting too with not many other people taking the effort to get across to hunt.

I looked into hunting the lake area a while ago. Camping up on USFS across the lake seemed like an option. I planned a spring turkey bow hunt with a canoe and camp. My preseason scouting and research revealed that a gobble up on the hill drew responses from fishermen and their motorboats. I ended up not going for fear of being overrun by opportunistic turkey chasers.

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
I looked into hunting the lake area a while ago. Camping up on USFS across the lake seemed like an option. I planned a spring turkey bow hunt with a canoe and camp. My preseason scouting and research revealed that a gobble up on the hill drew responses from fishermen and their motorboats. I ended up not going for fear of being overrun by opportunistic turkey chasers.

Yeah if you stay close to the shore I'm sure you will draw attention, but if you go up in Hugh's draft and walk up on the mountain a ways I bet there wouldn't be anyone around. The only problem, it's a long canoe trip up High's draft but it's worth it. I did it a few weeks ago.