How many years before you got your first bull?

ckswall

FNG
I went on my 1st elk hunt last year with an OTC tag in Colorado during the 2nd rifle season. Glassed up my first elk and learned a ton. I was fortunate enough to draw an archery tag this year that is good for Units 7,8,9,19, and 191. Been pouring over maps, listening to every podcast I can find and generally just trying to take in as much knowledge as I can to prep for my first hunt during the rut.

My question is how long did it take you all to get your first bull? Going into my 2nd season I definitely feel like my chances are better but in the back of my head feel like I am still so far away from knowing enough to actually make it happen.

Also, what was one piece of advice you received or tactic you changed that you feel finally put your over the top in being successful for the first time?

It took me about two weeks for the first one. I shot and lost one the following year. Then struck out three of the last four years, but not for a lack of opportunities...

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
My second season of serious hunting was when I got my first bull. That was 6 years ago and haven’t gotten another yet (have killed a few cows)

OP
ckswall

ckswall

FNG
I have heard numbers as low as 1 out of every 10 years so you guys are making me feel like there is a slim chance I could get one down in the next decade.

BBob

WKR
Killed on 2nd tag. I was surrounded by many good experienced mentors so I had lots of info in my head and people around me for support. I killed that bull solo. I generally hunt solo, I may camp with someone but I'm always mobile and ready to move. I've killed consistently since that first bull. I know I'm going to kill I just don't know how, when or where but I'm gonna.

I'll give you two. Prime advice given back then that's still valid today:

1) Get on their nose and not on their tail.
2) Run don't walk.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Took me 3 trips. One archery(Colorado) and 2 rifle(Wyoming). I killed my bull last year in Wyoming.

OP
ckswall

ckswall

FNG
Killed on 2nd tag. I was surrounded by many good experienced mentors so I had lots of info in my head and people around me for support. I killed that bull solo. I generally hunt solo, I may camp with someone but I'm always mobile and ready to move. I've killed consistently since that first bull. I know I'm going to kill I just don't know how, when or where but I'm gonna.

I'll give you two. Prime advice given back then that's still valid today:

1) Get on their nose and not on their tail.
2) Run don't walk.

Could you elaborate on #1 there? Do you mean always make a move to cut an elk off not follow behind them?

I am 0-10 but my own fault passing up a couple small bulls with my bow an then a decent six opener of rifle. I am an idiot for that one. Getting only 7 days every two years or so to chase them doesnt help Dam i hate living here.

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
It took me 5 years of "serious" archery hunting to get my first elk, 2017. I caveat this though in the fact I had my son with me every season. At 10, he couldn't carry a bow (12 years of age in Colorado for big game). At 12 he couldn't put in miles and miles, and we stopped for snacks about every 30 minutes. It was mostly about having fun together.

We hunted OTC for five years, accumulated some points and waited until he was old enough to backpack in a few miles to put in for a specific tag in a draw unit. Killed a bull the same evening we packed in. The bull came in in a way that if I hadn't shot and the bull had turned the other way my son would have had the shot. We packed that thing out all night and left the next day.

I'm excited to hunt the same spot this year and we have 6 nights set aside opening week. I hope we actually get to "hunt" and not walk in, kill, and leave. I need some days in the woods after dealing with this Covid BS.

One piece of advice you'll see is, hunt where the elk are, not where they should be. That makes a big difference. We spent too much time in "elky" looking areas over the years, but the elk were long gone.

My piece of advice, have fun out there. Elk don't live in ugly places, enjoy it.

OP
ckswall

ckswall

FNG
It took me 5 years of "serious" archery hunting to get my first elk, 2017. I caveat this though in the fact I had my son with me every season. At 10, he couldn't carry a bow (12 years of age in Colorado for big game). At 12 he couldn't put in miles and miles, and we stopped for snacks about every 30 minutes. It was mostly about having fun together.

We hunted OTC for five years, accumulated some points and waited until he was old enough to backpack in a few miles to put in for a specific tag in a draw unit. Killed a bull the same evening we packed in. The bull came in in a way that if I hadn't shot and the bull had turned the other way my son would have had the shot. We packed that thing out all night and left the next day.

I'm excited to hunt the same spot this year and we have 6 nights set aside opening week. I hope we actually get to "hunt" and not walk in, kill, and leave. I need some days in the woods after dealing with this Covid BS.

One piece of advice you'll see is, hunt where the elk are, not where they should be. That makes a big difference. We spent too much time in "elky" looking areas over the years, but the elk were long gone.

My piece of advice, have fun out there. Elk don't live in ugly places, enjoy it.

Love that advice. I have a 4 year old and am already dreaming about our future elk hunts. Great job getting your son involved!

BBob

WKR
I have heard numbers as low as 1 out of every 10 years so you guys are making me feel like there is a slim chance I could get one down in the next decade.

When you get down and frustrated just get moving and do something, anything. If you keep after it you'll get it. Elk are not that hard, they are but they are not. Make those feet move, get after them, if you blow it there will be another chance. If I could change one thing in the beginning I would have been more aggressive. Yes you'll need to learn to put the brakes on but more often then not people are afraid to get in there especially with archery gear. I missed many opportunities because once in close I seized and couldn't make my feet move when my brain said go. You'll blow it now and then for sure but I guaranty there will be another one around the corner if you just keep after it.

Could you elaborate on #1 there? Do you mean always make a move to cut an elk off not follow behind them?

YES!

Second ckswall question. What do you mean get ON their nose?

Stay up with them and never follow trailing behind (hence "run don't walk"). It will be a very very rare day you'll sneak up behind them and not get busted as they are moving along. You may have to flank them wide depending on cover or wind running off to the side to get ahead at distance only to close as they near an ambush point. When running and gunning you may have to flank and run many times before a position of opportunity arises. There will be times you'll let them pass so you can switch and flank from the other side. There's a good reason you see all of those good pros working on fitness for elk.

Last edited:
OP
ckswall

ckswall

FNG
When you get down and frustrated just get moving and do something, anything. If you keep after it you'll get it. Elk are not that hard, they are but they are not. Make those feet move, get after them, if you blow it there will be another chance. If I could change one thing in the beginning I would have been more aggressive. Yes you'll need to learn to put the brakes on but more often then not people are afraid to get in there especially with archery gear. I missed many opportunities because once in close I seized and couldn't make my feet move. You'll blow it for sure but I guaranty there will be another one around the corner if you just keep after it.

YES!

Stay up with them and never follow trailing behind (hence "run don't walk"). It will be a very very rare day you'll sneak up behind them and not get busted as they are moving along. You may have to flank them wide depending on cover or wind running off to the side to get ahead at distance only to close as they near an ambush point. When running and gunning you may have to flank and run many times before a position of opportunity arises. There's a good reason you see all of those good pros working on fitness for elk.

Thank you sir! Appreciate you taking the time to share some wisdom and experience!

Brendan

WKR
Got my first on my first trip (Bow), got my second on my third trip (Rifle after a lot of Bow Opportunities). Next two trips were rough, with only a couple opportunities but did manage a whitetail on one (Bow only those two trips). Trip #6 is this year with a pocket full of tags (Elk and Antelope - Rifle).

I've had trips that were just outright TOUGH where things just didn't go my way, and I've had others where I just got into them consistently...

Advice - you have to hunt until the last minute. My first bull was killed right before I had to drive home. I almost didn't go out that morning.

Last edited:
My first year hunting archery, I killed my first elk...a nice 5x5
Then, killed an elk every year for the next 7 years.
The last 10-12 years, it’s been about every other year that I’m successful.
All archery except for one ML cow at 5 yards...
Going into my 20th season next month, I believe I’ll be successful.

OP
ckswall

ckswall

FNG
Got my first on my first trip (Bow), got my second on my third trip (Rifle after a lot of Bow Opportunities). Next two trips were rough, with only a couple opportunities but did manage a whitetail on one (Bow only those two trips). Trip #6 is this year with a pocket full of tags (Elk and Antelope - Rifle).

I've had trips that were just outright TOUGH where things just didn't go my way, and I've had others where I just got into them consistently...

If I could put together some missed opportunities on this trip I would consider that progress and a win for my 2nd elk hunt

Laramie

WKR
One piece of advice, don't accept failure.

I shot my first elk on my first day when I was 14. Public land OTC national forest. I knew little and it was complete luck. Many years later and I have never left a tag unfilled. Majority of those years I harvested the first legal elk I could and many of them were with a rifle. Many of those hunts took extreme effort. I go into each hunt completely expecting to harvest and just flat won't accept failure. That refusal to fail has really driven me to go to some extremes to harvest but I haven't regretted any of it. I love to hunt elk and my entire family loves to eat elk.

My first year which was over 30 years ago I booked a guided bow hunt. Saw one cow. That same year I booked a guided gun hunt... because I was hooked, and never saw an elk. My next hunt was a diy rifle hunt and I killed a bull the first morning. A friend who lived in the area but didn’t hunt asked some old timers at a bar if they knew anywhere worth hunting. I ended ip with a little map on a bar napkin and killed that bull right where the X was. To this day I believe that word of mouth is worth a thousand times what you can hope to figure out on the internet.

I’ve come a long way since then. Became an outfitter in Montana, guided in Wyoming and Washington.... punched my last 21 tags in a row and have helped as many people as I can. Elk hunting is a year round passion for me these days.

Last edited: