How many years before you got your first bull?

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
I've been pretty lucky, killed one my first year. And have since killed elk on the other 2 hunts I've been on as well, all archery. As a group we killed 3/4 last year and everyone in camp had multiple shot opportunities. You learn a ton the more you go and I feel pretty confident about filling one tag between me and my buddy.

OP
ckswall

ckswall

FNG
My first year hunting archery, I killed my first elk...a nice 5x5
Then, killed an elk every year for the next 7 years.
The last 10-12 years, it’s been about every other year that I’m successful.
Going into my 20th season next month, I believe I’ll be successful.

Wow! I won't be setting my bar that high. Although I am hoping the fact that I drew a tag this year in Colorado will help improve my odds. Definitely has to be less people than I saw last year in the OTC unit.

I see you're from Colorado. If you have any insight into GMU's 7,8.9,19 or 191? I'm a sponge right now for any information I can find.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Wow! I won't be setting my bar that high. Although I am hoping the fact that I drew a tag this year in Colorado will help improve my odds. Definitely has to be less people than I saw last year in the OTC unit.

I see you're from Colorado. If you have any insight into GMU's 7,8.9,19 or 191? I'm a sponge right now for any information I can find.
I'll be in GMU 8 3rd rifle. Hunted there in 2017. Cold and windy. I'm 0 for 2 so far. Hoping the third is a charm.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Brendan

WKR
Forgot to add my advice earlier. On my first bull, I killed him the morning of day 12. I almost didn't go out that morning as I was by myself and had to head for home. My second bull was again on day 12. Make sure you hunt until the bitter end, you'll be second guessing yourself for the next year if you don't, and that last minute might be when you get it done...

Last edited:

Gerbdog

WKR
My first was on the first outing, it was a muzzleloader cow tag in NM... shot and she fell in place, thought i was a sniper with a MLder but discovered i spined her..... been working to fill that archery bull tag ever since here in Colorado so I'm only.... 25% I believe currently. Last year didn't count cause I was muley deer hunting and just happened to have an elk tag along also ... but I was looking for muleys? Maybe it counts..... better make that 20%. (just noticed this was a first bull thread, my bad, still in the hunt).

Last edited:
So it’s been said by friends me and my family have horseshoes lodged firmly when it comes to hunting. Last year was my first trip for elk and I tagged out on a busted up 6x6 opening evening of 1st rifle in a unit that had leftovers. I do think I lucked running into that herd of elk considering I’d never been there before, especially second time after missing my chance mid-morning on them. But I was hunting the wind correctly and where lots of fresh sign was so I don’t consider it all luck, some woodsmanship played at least a part. But the horseshoe was definitely playing a big role and never hurts to have lol.

To piggyback Brendan's post, my first one came on the 8th day of a nine day hunt. Day nine would've been the last day of the season. I decided I would still hunt some dark benches back to the truck and call it a season. I caught a four point sleeping in his bed and stuck him at 25 yards.

I have had numerous times where I was down and out only to catch a glimpse of elk followed up by a close range encounter. Once, I was sleeping under a tree and woke to a herd running my way. Another, I cut them off only to botch the knock and blow it. Sometimes that one chance happens in the span of seconds.

Forgot to add my advice earlier. On my first bull, I killed him the morning of day 12. I almost didn't go out that morning as I was by myself and had to head for home. My second bull was again on day 12. Make sure you hunt until the bitter end, you'll be second guessing yourself for the next year if you don't, and that last minute might be when you get it done...

I killed my first bull on day twelve, year three. Should have gone to that drainage the first week...

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
Be confident going into year #1. I killed my first elk (6x6) with a bow on day 4 of my first year. Luck? Sure, but I made that luck.

I was Solo and DIY in a National Forest. Before the hunt a mentor gave me general spots to check out, but he couldn’t be there.

I was an experienced MW deer and turkey hunter (I think Turkey helps especially) and I spent countless hours reading and listening to podcasts 18 months before I decided to go. You can learn generations of info from these podcasts, you just have to be paying attention. I literally have a notepad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started in the mid 80’s and it took me 3 years before my first archery bull. Coming from the East Coast without all the information available today, I considered it a success. 35 years later and I think I have it down now.

Year 3. Tried first two years with bow and just couldn’t quite tag out but close. Third year went to rifle and have killed quite a few. We mainly ridge sit and work the tops. Shoot down into the meadows. It’s more shooting skill oriented style than getting in close In deep dark terrain.

My fourth archery season coming up and still looking for my first with a bow. Had a good opportunity in '18 and I missed a layup of a shot but I was relieved to have a clean miss instead of a non mortally wounded elk running around.

Got one with a rifle in my second season then pretty much every year since (12 years or so) except for one missed due to knee surgery.

trevvamos

Lil-Rokslider
3rd year archery hunting for my first bull. AZ and OR. First year saw bulls, but it was the 50-100 yard distance that i could not seem to close the gap. Like a lot of guys have been saying, use your feet and run dont walk. Make your own luck and good things start to happen. Spend as much time as you can in the elk woods, even if you dont tag out you still win. Good luck