How many years to draw first sheep tag?

Two years of applying in Idaho as a resident I pulled a tag for unit 20. That was in 2001. Skunked that year...

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BAKPAKR

WKR
I drew a Rocky tag after 8 years and was skunked. I drew a second tag seven years later and was skunked again. Thirteen years later, I drew my third tag, and I made sure I took advantage of it.

Good luck on your moose hunt.

4 years for my first, arrowed a nice ram, had to sit out for 5 back in drew again 12 years later arrowed a B&C ram. I got lucky, two rocky tags in Colorado in 16 years.

I think I’m out of the penalty box this year, and will start the points building again for Rockys vs putting in for Deserts. So essiemtly out for another 4 years.
Good Luck

Trial153

WKR
I am over 15 years of trying and no luck yet…apply in most every state I can except the three west coasters …pretty much every raffle as well.

I am going to just book a couple hunts in Canada at this point.

Last edited:
0/8 so far in Alaska. Odds are very low for tags I put in for in that amount of time and not mad about it, but it does get old watching the same guys draw year after year. I get over it real quick though. I truly never expect to draw a sheep tag in my lifetime. Just gonna go hunt. Decided about 5 years ago to stop chasing points in L48 and invested the $ to just go hunt, mostly invested into crypto. That is proving to have been a very good choice.

Northpark

WKR
I would rather just pay for a hunt at this point rather than applying in multiple states. Turns out if you save a couple grand per year instead of spending it on licensing and app fees you can just pay to hunt stuff.

EastMT

WKR
I’m not far from the breaks, if he ever gets one and you need an extra packer/helper look me up. I should have enough points for a ewe next year, I’ll be up there wandering around if I’m lucky!

My dad started putting me in for MT in 1976 so about 45 years so far...
Has to be the saddest post I've made.

I put in for a harder to draw CO tag a few times. Then drew a sure thing archery tag 3 years in a row (I think as my second choice). Then an excellent archery tag in a new area twice in a row….so five tags in a row before arrowing my first Bighorn. Then drew again 15 years later and arrowed a second ram. 1977 for first sheep application, 1980 for first bighorn tag and 1999 last ram tag and Bighorn arrowed in CO. Never did draw a Desert in CO….but drew NV the first time Input in as a NR…..1991, and arrowed a ram.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Colorado Bighorn 3+4 years
Utah Beaver Goat 10 years
Arizona Desert 22 years

still working on Nevada, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, New Mexico, and Idaho with 20 plus years of trying.

I’d love to just buy sheep hunts every year but my finances are nowhere near that level. $3000/year gets you a sheep hunt once a decade at most…