How many years to draw first sheep tag?

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
2 Years - EXTREMELY lucky and I appreciate it as much. Will probably never have the chance to do it again. Very thankful.

These kind of posts make me not even want to buy points in most states, or put in for raffle in others. From the look of things, I may draw something cool before I turn 85 (I'm 42 now).

npm352

WKR
2 years for a Montana ewe tag.

Been working on a ram tag on other states between 14-20 years so far.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Been putting in for about 18 or 19 years for a bunch of States. Already have a Stone and a Dall so seeing if I can draw a Rocky and a Desert. Odds seem to get worse every year.

Eyeman

FNG
Drew my Nevada Res Desert tag in 8-9 years. Was successful on a decent one.
My buddy drew the same area the next year with same points and got a great one.
Not sure if we were lucky or what. I have heard of some residents waiting a lot longer.
Got a few points for the California species so might try that one next.
Good luck to all.

I'm sure this won't be a real popular response but drew my Idaho Rocky tag this year on the first try...

Still can't believe it!
Wow, that's your only post. Congrats.

When is/was your hunt? Let us know how you do/did

TEWONG

FNG
Wow, that's your only post. Congrats.

When is/was your hunt? Let us know how you do/did
Haha!!! Thanks for asking...

Like most hunts there were a lot of "ups and downs" but ultimately able to get it done first week in Oct.

I'm an adult onset hunter - didn't start hunting big game until I was in my forties so filling this tag still seems a bit surreal. This was the first time I ever drew and leading into the hunt, definitely underestimated the pressure of carrying such a rare tag. There were times I had to remind myself to just enjoy the moment and appreciate the opportunity to hunt such an amazing species.

One cool aspect of sheep hunting are the great people you meet along the journey. The hunt was technically DIY but had a couple of great hunting partners and received a lot of helpful intel from previous hunters, locals, outfitters, and one internet dude (whom I never met).

I'll probably start a separate thread to share my experience once life slows down but in the meantime here are a few pictures...

Regards,
Todd

C00E6F29-F597-43EE-ACAA-D81F9EFCE292_1_201_a.jpegScreen Shot 2021-10-14 at 7.18.46 PM.png

Last edited:
@TEWONG yes please give us details. Great ram!

New to the sheep app game here with only a couple of years applying for select rocky and desert states. Unpopular statement: I drew a rocky as a resident in Idaho after 2 years of applying. Drew in 2020.