How many years to draw first sheep tag?

WKR
7 years for first, 13 years for second. If I didn't live in a state that had sheep draws, I'd resort to buying a sheep hunt. The odds keep getting lower.

Just checked the odds. 25,000 applicants for a total of 320 tags. I'm not too good at math but I do get a chuckle when I hear folks saying they have 20 points and should draw soon. Point total is not related to sheep draw in CO.

Last edited:
As a BC Resident, yes, we do get the three species. Stone Sheep is our true OTC opportunity right now. Dall Sheep are a draw here, albeit astronomically better odds compared to 680 in Montana. As far as RMBHS, I fear we'll be losing this opportunity soon and it will be moving to a draw as well.

Not too bad up here to say the least.

Last edited:

Viper*6

FNG
I hunted Dall Sheep as a resident of Alaska during the late '70s. A Dall Sheep tag was part of your $12 OTC general hunting license. The license also included a moose tag, 2 goat tags, 3 black bear tags, and several caribou tags. OTC Grizzly tags were an extra $25.

As a resident of Colorado in the mid '80s I drew a Big Horn sheep tag with 3 preference points.

Ouzel

FNG
Still waiting to draw.
17 years as Wyoming resident
28 years as Idaho resident, took a one year break in 99 or 2000 and actually drew an Idaho Moose and got a respectable 52” bull.
15 years as Wyoming nonresident
multiple years applied for Oregon, Montana, and Colorado
So somewhere north of 70 application attempts since 1978 and have gotten my money back every time

Iddogguy

FNG
I started putting in for sheep in 1976 in Montana. I'm a lifelong Idaho resident. Drew my first sheep tag in Colorado in the mid 90's. Drew Nevada Califorian sheep & Montana sheep in 2010. Have also drawn Idaho Rocky & Nevada Desert. Filled all my tags.

JKannon

FNG
Just put in for Moose and Mtn. Goat first time in Colorado...we'll see what happens. Hoping for newbies luck!!

It took me about 10 years or so do draw the only sheep tag that I've ever drawn, but the one tag that I've really wanted, I've been putting in for (unsuccessfully), now going on 30 years. Fortunately, we can sheep hunt every year if we want, without drawing a tag.

wyosteve

WKR
3 for the first. 6 more for the second. 22 more for the third! We’ll see what this year brings.