How much ammo?

JustBen

FNG
My buddy and I were discussing how much ammo to bring on a hike when we're hunting.

I usually bring a half box and have never needed more than 1 or 2. One time I did go through a couple more when I took a good fall and wanted to make sure my rifle was still hitting where it was supposed to. I figure if I need more than that, I should give up the hunting.

And then a couple weeks ago, I was out looking for elk, and my buddy wanted to tag along. He decided to bring a shotgun and see if he could get a couple grouse during the day. After he shot the 3rd grouse, he admitted that he had not expected to be very successful that day and hadn't brought any extra shells.

How much do you bring on your hunt and why?

I have a mag full, so 4 or 5, plus 5 more in my buttstock shell holder. If I can’t get it done with that I just need to go home and sell all my guns and hunting shit and play more golf.

MTtrout

WKR
I’m usually around 10 plus magazine full. I often have some extra reloads in the truck for the “just in case”. Now for bear hunting, that’s the time to shoot rocks so I bring more

Four in the rifle and 20 in the pack, only takes one and like menhaden-man said back to the hotel or the camp.

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
Mag full + another mag full, anymore than that, I deserve to go home empty handed

For hunting, Five round mag in the rifle, five round mag in my pants pocket. Full box of shells at camp just in case I bump something and need to re sight. For self defense, Loaded Sig P365XL in my bino case.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When I rifle hunted I just loaded up the magazine and one in the chamber. So 4 or 5 depending on the rifle I was using. Probably had the rest of the box in the truck. The most I've ever used on a hunt was 4, and that was all on the same bull.......all at under 30 yards. Sometimes those bulls can absorb a lot of lead before going down. And if they're still standing, I'm still shooting.

Last edited:

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
13 mag plus 10 in a bullet holder. The most I’ve gone through is 7 after a rodeo shooting a bull off hand in the timber. Most of the time it takes 1, but every once in awhile it’s good to have extra

2 mags of 4 plus 2 loose and at least 6 - box in truck ... like to have in mag ready to go in case drop one in snow or bush

drra

FNG
3 in the magazine and a box in the day pack. I've never needed to open the box.

FLATHEAD

WKR
5 in the gun, xtra 4 round mag, 4 in the pack, the rest of the 20 back
in the truck/tent.

Unckebob

WKR
I carry a mag full, plus six more. I usually keep the rest of the box at camp in case I have to sight it in again.

drra

FNG
There is a nice youtube video of a guy Moose hunting in Alaska that needs an air drop of ammo after shooting at a moose. Would never want to be in that situation especially in Bear country.

I've read a few stories where people used weapons to signal for help. In each scenario, they had to shoot a few times till they were found. Considering that each signal equals 3 shots, having a decent amount of spares makes sense.
Then again I never hunted in my life (yet) so I might be reading too much into this.