How much are you reasonably willing to spend on hunting each year?

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
How much are you reasonably willing to spend on hunting each year?

I could NEVER answer a question worded in such a manner...I am "unreasonably willing" to spend a boat load of money each and every year...and I never look back!

Hunting, fishing and enjoying the remoteness of Alaska and the YT is second only to enjoying life with my wonderful wife and two children...and they are often with me!

Your looking at $5000 minimum. Because there’s that time where you think “ok I’m done, I got it” then you partner calls and says oh man you gotta have this or that and it’s areal game changer!, then your screwed.
It’s more money,
But that’s half fun isn’t it!!
I so ready to go hunting.
Mark

Russp17

WKR
I usually do two big hunts a year and with buying points etc in states and gear, it is probably between 4 grand and 8 grand depending on what hunts I do. Plane rides aren’t cheap....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I try not to think about it. Not just the gear, gas and apps-points-tags but the time off work while I'm away doing what I love adds up to big numbers.

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
Dang, this thread is going to expose me as the selfish a-hole I am..... $5k a year (max) as I try to do at least 2 out of state hunts per year, plus my home state. Gear upgrades/replacement, fuel, food, apps/ points, etc is also part of that number as well. This is a lot, as it's over 10% of my annual income (all while supporting a wife and 2 kids). I'm incredibly fortunate though, as my wife is a saint and supports my hunting, but the deal is that I HAVE to bring home meat. We make a lot of sacrifices as a family in order to make this happen. Bottom line: if there is a will, there is always a way.

While gear has to be counted as an expense for that year if it is bought out of the hunting fund, I don’t really consider it to be part of the cost of the hunt as long as it’s something I’ll keep using.

I probably spent $4k last year if you count gear, about $2,000 if not.

In the past it’s been under $500 with a license, gas, and small gear upgrades. I’m fortunate to have public land with mature white tails 45 minutes away and process my own meat.

The new plan is to try to allocate around $5k a year to a hunting fund, taking a few cheaper diy trips should allow it to build up and afford stuff like a fly in caribou hunt eventually without having to drop a ton of coin at once.

There's no way I'm gonna try and total that up! I don't wanna know!

Heck I have a new truck on order that's directly related to hunting.

Thess87

WKR
Just depends on the year and the hunts. Whether it’s lower 48 or a big trip to Ak. But I work two side jobs to cover hunting and gear expenses. Plus my wife hunts just as much as I do so x2 on everything. I would say on a slow year probably 3000

Last edited:

eamyrick

WKR
I think this is really state dependent. I grew up in Mississippi and maybe did one paid duck hunt a year in Arkansas. Everything else was invite, permission, family, or public. Since I’ve moved to Texas 10 years ago the amount I’ve spent has gone up every year. Almost everything is pay to play, ducks, dove, deer and I take 3-4 trips out of state to hunt each year and even on public those trips get expensive. I’m at 5-10k a year.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on the year. Two years ago, I spent around $10,000. Last year I renovated my duck camp and went on several trips, ended up spending north of $90,000. 2019 I have several trips planned, will probably end up around $25,000. Hopefully when I'm done with trips I have planned out until 2020, I'll level off some and will stay under $10,000 a year. I'm tired of spending money.

I call it an investment, my wife calls it hunting land. If I include that, about $10,000/year. If not, $2,000.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Idaho two elk tags$1000 maybe deer another $350
Montana combo $1000
Gear and gas at this stage in mid 50s $1500 ish

I spend about $1000 in tags.
$300 in fuel
Usually at least 1 $200-300 piece of clothing
Maybe $200 on bow accessories/wear items.

So I would guess that any given year I am 2k +/- 500

sasquatch

WKR
If I want to do it and can physically afford to I’m doing it. That’s my limit. As much as it takes if I have it, and I’m fortunate enough to make decent money and live note free so it can be up there. When it comes to turkeys and deer I’ll run myself ragged to hunt them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming I don't use a large chunk of our hunting budget on new expensive gadgets I am able to keep hunting expenses fairly low.
We allocate money to our hunting budget each year and if I am wise with spending, the money I saved this year will rollover to the following year. This allows me to do extra outings or plan for an expensive hunt the upcoming year and yes we keep a spreadsheet lol.

This works for my wife and I but I am sure others have better methods.