How much are you reasonably willing to spend on hunting each year?

All of us bring different budgets to the game. My question is this - what do you consider a reasonable annual expense on hunting?

I'm talking tags, fuel, food, gear, and anything else.

What's your personal annual "hunting" budget?

Do you want to know the number that I told my wife I spent, or the number that I really spent? Cause they are definitely not the same number?

Generally I try to keep my budget to 5k but I have to travel long distances and buy out of state tags for everywhere I go. A good chunk of this is also spent on new gear that I want to try.

1000-1500 for me all depends on what your willing to spend, how much you can afford or how much the wife will let you spend. Majority of my hunts are close to home and that really cuts back on the cost, when I hunt out of state I try go with a buddy so we can split some of the basic expenses. Already blew through what I normally spend in a year on new gear this year so I might have to pick up some side jobs before season starts 😂

Raghornklr

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly it hurts to think about it I’m guessing average is 3-5k. Some years are double that if I include scouting trips, vehicle upgrades, and a lucky number in the draws.

Poser

WKR
Probably operated on a 3k annual budget for a number of years, but that has dropped since I moved to CO. These days, my snowboarding budget is freakin’ through the roof, however

*zap*

WKR
I do not have as much as I would like to have available to budget for the outdoors experience…...working on trying to change that. It would be nice to win a good chunk of $ via a lottery, thou. Then I could expand my horizons before I go and meet my maker. Kudos to those who can do whatever they care to do!

We made some bigger gear investments last year and took one big trip last fall rather than hunting closer to home. Probably spent close to 12k in 2018 but planning on spending inbetween 5-7k this year on hunting related costs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elk hunting is around $1000 for the trip, gas nonresident tag and around $700 for boots, clothes and broadheads this year.
I maybe reach $500 for in state hunting. Deer, Turkey and yotes. Driving to work cost me more than that. Lol

Scottyboy

WKR
Average is probably 5k. My wife allows for me to do 1 out of state hunt each year without questioning it. Seems no matter if deer, elk or whatever else ends up being around +/- 4-5k.

Been doing more and more archery hunts so that number should be going down

Bryanboss429

Lil-Rokslider
Normally I only spend about $500 a year. Tags, gas, food, etc. I hunt fairly close to where I live. And have been camping near the hunting area. This year I am upgrading a bunch of gear so I can hopefully increase my odds at harvesting an animal. This is my first year wilderness hunting and had to upgrade some of my backpacking stuff. I am going to have to do more scouting this year to help with learning the new unit. So, there's more cost there. Probably around $2000 this year with the new gear, scouting, tags food, etc. Then after this year should drop back down to $500-$750/year. My wife will probably go on one of the scouting/backpacking trips to see the area i will be hunting. That helps because she feels that I am "including' her.

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
I try to get it done on the cheap, most of my gear (clothing, boots, pack, etc.) I get more use out of than just hunting. I try to hunt close to home.

But even with all that by the time I count tags, and fuel I’m north of $500 dollars.

Then when I step back, how many other people can say they only pay 500 bucks for therapy, a gym pass, and their favorite hobby for an entire year. Not to mention the steaks. Life is good.

Last edited: