How much Backsrtrap do you get from a decent buck?

work765

WKR
I landed a decent 3x3 in CO this year, and I'm concerned about how much backstrap I received from the butcher. I've had a few deer that were smaller, and feel like those produced more meat than this guy, who was definitely my largest muley to date. I cut those backstraps out and they were huge and long!! and what I have in my freezer is far from those guys I was holding. i've attached a picture of the backstraps I received, this is all of it minus one small package(same size as the smallest package in photo) I gave to a friend. Is this the normal amount for a two long processed back straps?

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_1565.JPG
    IMG_1565.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1566.JPG
    IMG_1566.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 119
Looks about right I guess... but like said above - you already took them out, you were 99% done? Just curious why you took them in?

If you cut the backstraps out yourself, why did you take them to the butcher?

I was thinking the same thing. Backstraps are something I always take out myself before taking it to the processor.

cnelk

WKR
When I get home later, I’ll take a pic of all my backstrap packages I got from this buck - I know it’s a lot more that what you got

4023ECEF-3601-4847-A724-20674E57F09C.jpeg

OP
W

work765

WKR
I quartered and field dressed the deer so I could pack him out. I dropped off the back straps, along with everything else, so I could get them packaged up and cleaned up. I was out of state hunting, and still had some more days to hunt. I didn't see anything wrong with having them process and package them up for me.

JG358

WKR
Meat gets pretty small when you wrap it in plastic wrap. I'm always disappointed in how little backstrap I have and I butcher my own.

I often feel like the butcher is a little light. It could just be my suspicion. I have butchered myself for a few years.

I process my own, so that seams light to me.

But when you send to a processor they are trying to get it done as quick as possible. When you speed things up they are likely to trim off bigger chunks that make it to the grinder.

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk