How much camo is needed?

Looking for help. I am still relatively new to hunting as it is only my 3rd season. I have learned a ton and I know I still know very little :). As I now know that hunting will be in my blood for the rest of my days, I am looking to now upgrade certain things. My clothing being one of them. (Already got the boots handled) I have been wearing cheaper camo and it is wearing out as to be expected with anything low cost but I am starting to see the value of being a bit more comfortable when hiking miles in various temps for mule deer. While I know camo brands/patterns are a personal preference, my question is how much do I need? Can I wear the same pants/shirt/jacket multiple days on a hunt or do I need to have a change for each day. This is given the hat I am wearing a quality set - Sitka, first lite, etc. thank you in advance for any tips and help

Lowg08

WKR
Not a mule deer hunter but a backcountry mountain whitetail guy. The only change of clothes I take is an extra pair of underwear and socks. Pretty much wear the same thing day after day. I am kinda in the sold pants, camo top camp or what ever piece fits the bill the best despite color.

Depends on how, where, and what you are hunting. I will wear the same cloths for a week or more hunting in the mountains. I also dont wear much camo and dont own any camo pants other than some cheap puffy pants. Whitetail hunting I would wear camo and I would wash them if I thought they may be exposed to too much human scent or foreign scents.

Blacktailaddiction

Lil-Rokslider
I find watching my wind is way more important than camo, second making small slow easy movements, nothing jerky or fast while hunting. That being said I love wearing camo and wash it about every 3 days when hunting from home. Camo has a place but you can’t control how much you stink to animals impossible to cover it all so it’s just better to be aware of the wind.

Lowg08

WKR
I guess I should have asked the question. Are you hunting from home or packing in/camp in. If I’m day hunting I keep my clothes in a tote and don’t put on until I get where I’m going. Wash if I kill

OP
A
I guess I should have asked the question. Are you hunting from home or packing in/camp in. If I’m day hunting I keep my clothes in a tote and don’t put on until I get where I’m going. Wash if I kill
Thank you for the info. I am hunting either out of my truck for a couple of days or a camp if hunting for a week +. Mostly mule deer in the western states. I live in Southern California so hunting from home really isn’t a thing around me.

Lowg08

WKR
If your having to stay out for a couple to several days at a time. You can get away with one set up of clothes. Just bring extra undies and socks. I sleep in my long Johns and then just put my clothes back in the next morning. I’ll admit though I’m a horrible person to give clothing advice. I am always changing up to get better

OP
A
If your having to stay out for a couple to several days at a time. You can get away with one set up of clothes. Just bring extra undies and socks. I sleep in my long Johns and then just put my clothes back in the next morning. I’ll admit though I’m a horrible person to give clothing advice. I am always changing up to get better
I am usually the type to change things up as well. Born and raised a trout fisherman. And always willing to try the new thing ( although I always have the tried and true ready to go). But so new at hunting and have never felt at such a disadvantage at anything than I do going after these critters. But after wearing cheaper cotton camo/hunting attire and dealing with the sweating and being so uncomfortable after hiking miles I figure it’s time to change.

OP
A
I guess I should state that I am using archery equipment. Not sure if that changes things.

Geewhiz

WKR
When I hit the hills I’ve been known to not take my pants off for 5 or more days. Live in them and sleep in them. For some reason I’m proud of that lol

As others said, wind and movement is key. Clothes wise, just upgrade as you need. I have a mix match of camo. Sitka timberlines I bought here used, Eddie Bauer hide pants bought on sale. Merino wool bought on sale. Camo merino tops of various camos. Sitka 90% tops bought on sale, heavier tops bought used or on sale. You get the picture. For me, quality pants and rain gear are the key areas to find / search quality. You can pick up the merino wool tops/bottoms pretty easy. For a week long hunt, I’ll bring one pair of pants, the layers for tops and rain gear. Later season you can bring merino wool for bottom layer and a heavier top layer. No need to switch up camo day to day. Bring and extra pair of socks and liners to keep your feet fresh as that is key. But, don’t get hung up on matching set of camo, unless you want to and it helps your confidence. I’m this way for camo and I hunt archery. But, I have a gun for every day of the week :) who knows! The key is to have fun and have the clothes you need to stay out there and keep your head in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're in similar circumstances. I live in CA but hunt outta state a lot. My preferred camo is Sitka Gear Subalpine layering as needed for each location, season and physicality of hunt. I often hunt 5-15 days only changing my socks and base layer. In hot weather the Aerowool briefs and short sleeved tee with a lightweight Core hoody is my go to. https://www.sitkagear.com/products/core-light-weight-hoody/optifade-subalpine
Ascent pants for ultralite weight and hot hunts: https://www.sitkagear.com/products/ascent-pant/optifade-subalpine
Timberlines for all other hunts: https://www.sitkagear.com/products/mens/timberline-pant/optifade-subalpine (I have solid & camo timberlines).
Dewpoint rain gear in the pack when needed. Insulation like a Kelvin vest or hoody with pants as needed. I also like the Shacket for some hunts. This covers me for a majority of my hunts, I can add heavier base layers as needed for temp drops. When glassing in wind I add a Timberline jacket.

screen.jpg

Last edited:

Covee

FNG
I will wear the same clothes for a week or more, depends on how long im hunting. Most of the time i just bring change of underwears.

Plus its not complusory to use camo.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I wear solids. So I would say you don't need any camo unless you like the look of it.

No need to stick with hunting clothing brands either. The Kuiu and First Lite stuff I have is decent, but will all be replaced with something else once it wears out. Well, maybe not the zip off long underwear, those are really convenient.

I bring one set of clothes, but one extra set of socks, and a spare set of boxers just incase I run into sasquatch and deficate my britches.