How much can I expect to pay for a AK moose hunt?

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all,

My brother and I are thinking about an Alaska hunt in the next 5 years and are wanting to start saving up. We are thinking Moose and/or Caribou. Love the idea of Sheep and/or Elk as well, but we can hunt Elk in the western states in which we live.

I'm wondering what cost expectation we are looking at for a moose hunt, a caribou hunt, or a combo of both while we are there? I'd just like to know what type of ballpark we are looking at, and I know that it can vary widely depending on what type of experience we want. I don't want to skimp on it, as it would be once in a life-time type thing, but we also don't need all the bells and whistles or anything too over the top.

Any insights are appreciated. Thanks!

I'm assuming you are referring to guided moose hunts because you talked about sheep as well which require guiding but moose don't.

Of all the game animals in Alaska if hiring a guide, moose have the LARGEST swing in prices. I've seen some under $10K all the way up to $25K. It will all depend on the quality of moose in the area, how remote it is and the amount of time you plan on being in there.

If I were you I would nail down a few things you are looking to do:
Trophy quality! Will just a legal moose be ok for you...……50 inch 4 brow tine or 3 brow tine are the majority of "just legal" for non residents in our state on the over the counter hunts. There are many exceptions to that but that is a good place to start. Outfitters consistently killing 60" plus bulls will cost you a premium.
Remoteness......Moose hunting in Alaska is the "eastern whitetail hunt" as far as resident Alaska hunters. Lots of locals in the easier accessed areas. The more remote using airplane access the more expensive your hunt will be. One outfitter I work for his costs to get just one moose back to civilization is $5K. But they kill some big bulls with zero people to contend with.
Length of hunt......the longer it is the more expensive it is. I would for sure want to be hunting in zones that have seasons lasting till 25 Sept! You will get into the rut with those dates. 10 day minimum is what I would want to do.

Short answer... I'd say anywhere from $2,500 to $30,000. You can learn a lot just with the ol' Google. I'd suggest starting there. Lots of transporters advertise their price, as do guides.

- Where are you coming from?
- Where do you want to hunt, what do you want to harvest, and how will you get to that location?
- Guided, outfitted, or just a transporter?
- What gear to you already have? What will you need to buy?
- Taxidermy?
- Meat transport costs?

Those are the big variables. There is a lot to consider.

jmez

WKR
Minimum of 10k. I'd budget 15, especially if going guided.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I’m looking at hunts now myself. In Southern to mid BC you can go for around 10k on the lower side. Northern BC you are pushing 20k with charter flights. That’s not including getting to Canada. I think in AK and the Yukon they probably start at 20k and go up.

My 2019 Alaska Moose Costs

Round trip airfare from Ohio: $800
Baggage upcharge: $120
Super Cub 100 miles in & out: $2200
License & Tag: $1000
Hotel (front & back, split): $325
Car rental (front & back, split): $110

Options:
Sat phone rental 12 days split: $110
InReach plan/use
Fly out meat & antlers from camp: $1000
Meat processing in-town or at home
Caribou or black bear tags

Widely variable costs:
Taxidermy
Trophy prep to ship (diy vs professional)
Ship meat and/or antlers to home.

I don't include food costs because I'm gonna eat whether I'm at home or on a hunt. Obviously I'll spend extra money on restaurants while in town, plus freeze dried meals which don't come cheap. Camp fuel is incidental and minor in cost. You can save a chunk of money if you eat selectively and avoid alcohol in town.

My 2019 Alaska Moose Costs

Round trip airfare from Ohio: $800
Baggage upcharge: $120
Super Cub 100 miles in & out: $2200
License & Tag: $1000
Hotel (front & back, split): $325
Car rental (front & back, split): $110

Options:
Sat phone rental 12 days split: $110
InReach plan/use
Fly out meat & antlers from camp: $1000
Meat processing in-town or at home
Caribou or black bear tags

Widely variable costs:
Taxidermy
Trophy prep to ship (diy vs professional)
Ship meat and/or antlers to home.

I don't include food costs because I'm gonna eat whether I'm at home or on a hunt. Obviously I'll spend extra money on restaurants while in town, plus freeze dried meals which don't come cheap. Camp fuel is incidental and minor in cost. You can save a chunk of money if you eat selectively and avoid alcohol in town.

Kevin, when do we get to see your 2019 Moose write up? I’m chomping at the bit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JT113

FNG
Booked with a well known and productive DIY outfit for 2021, assuming I harvest a moose, I'm planning on 11,500 start to finish (including getting all my meat to my freezer at home).

Went in 2018 using the assistance of a hunt planner, didn't harvest a moose. If I was successful, the total cost would have been around 7,500 start to finish.

Before the 2018 hunt, I did also spend a considerable amount of money on needed gear. Don't forget that hidden cost if going DIY.

You need to specify guided, oitfitted meaning they fly you in and provide the camp but no guides, or total diy where your only costs are air charters in and out as well as meat transportation from the field.

Before you make that call you need to tell us what your goals are. Representative 50 incher or a bonafide 60 inch bull.

For a guided hunt worth going on I’d say 20 grand. For an outfitted drop camp half that so 10k.

Transporter costs are all over the place. I try to stay away from ones who price it as a hunt. In other words “moose hunting 5 grand per man. If you want a transporter you need to pick your area and then do your homework and find one the goes by charter rates. In other words they charge by the hour. That’ll be your best deal on a total diy hunt.

Lot of experience represented here. I was skimming through and saw little reason to be redundant. Didn’t see it mentioned but those outfitters that have been in business for a long time, have repeat clients at the going rate, awaiting list measured in years and offer a hunt that meets your expectations are probably worth a long hard look.
get signed up with those guys. I’ve a very good friend on the peninsula been doing this a long time. Every year he has a hunt or two that go for half price because the deposit was paid two years prior and in some circumstances not refundable. He goes down the list until he gets a taker. Two years ago he had two bear hunts, guys canceled Last minute. I was talking to him on the phone, he posted it on face book. Took seven minutes to sell the first hunt.

It's interesting... I didn't have this kind of hunting money until I was 50 years old. Now that I'm 50+, I have the money, but not the physical conditioning to do a wilderness hunt. I need to use a guide for the pack out.

It's interesting... I didn't have this kind of hunting money until I was 50 years old. Now that I'm 50+, I have the money, but not the physical conditioning to do a wilderness hunt. I need to use a guide for the pack out.

The last season of Meateater they just put on Netflix has a sheep hunt episode. In it Steve says something about how the days of hunting sheep are in a race against time. That really resonated with me. As I get older I feel I am in a battle against my body to get out there and eventually my body will beat my will.

I finally can start saving for bucket list hunts but I am definitely racing time now.

Trial153

WKR
From the lower 48, budget 10k and hope it comes in a couple bucks cheaper.. .

HTN4a6pt

FNG
After researching for awhile, there are lots of other costs that start adding up. Taxes, non-resident preservation funds, extra flights, rentals, gratuities etc. Give yourself enough time to plan it out and go do it. Its not getting any cheaper.

Here is the price breakdown on my 2019 Alaskan Moose hunt. Keep in mind this was with an Outfitter similar to what “Double Broomed” described above. Trophy moose, 65-80”+, air transportation was the only transportation, secluded unit so virtually zero public/resident hunting, extended season into mid-October due to excellent population density.

Alaksan Moose + Black Bear combo hunt $24,000. Included food, field prep of any trophy for shipment & all air transportation during the hunt (which super cubs were the only transportation given the terrain and location). Everything in and out of camp was on a plane.

Non-residential hunting preservation fund $150.00

Sales Tax $1,225

Bed Tax $12.00

Bush flight to and from camp $750.00

Non-resident hunting and 1 day fishing license $185.00

Non-resident moose take $800.00

Non-resident black bear tag $450.00

Might have been a few more fees but I don’t recall what they were or how much.

Total above: $27,572.00

Not mentioned or not included above:

Taxidermy prep and shipment to my taxi
Airfare to and from Alaska
Baggages fees to and from Alaska
Hotel and food fees while traveling to and from Alaska
Tips of guides, super cub pilot, camp staff/cook

I would guess out the door was around $32-35k

Here is the price breakdown on my 2019 Alaskan Moose hunt. Keep in mind this was with an Outfitter similar to what “Double Broomed” described above. Trophy moose, 65-80”+, air transportation was the only transportation, secluded unit so virtually zero public/resident hunting, extended season into mid-October due to excellent population density.

Alaksan Moose + Black Bear combo hunt $24,000. Included food, field prep of any trophy for shipment & all air transportation during the hunt (which super cubs were the only transportation given the terrain and location). Everything in and out of camp was on a plane.

Sales Tax $1,225

Bed Tax $12.00

I don't know if I will ever have the means to do a hunt that is this expensive. I'd love to but just don't ever think that I could allow myself to spend that kind of money for a hunt - mainly I'm just jealous of those who can! A friend of mine is researching a caribou hunt in Canada and is planning on spending 10-12k...

NUGGET

WKR

Sales Tax $1,225

Bed Tax $12.00

Woah! Thanks for the breakdown!