How much can you fudge draw lenght ?

Shrek

WKR
I have measured my draw at 31.6" ( 79/2.5). My question is how much can I fudge my draw ? All the speed bows seem to stop at 30" draw and I'm wondering how I can shoot one. Nock loop , release , anchor point , or what ? Is there a way to drop 1 1/2" off my draw? I'm just looking at getting back into archery and the new speed bows look good to me. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing ! Thanks.

Last edited:

weaver

WKR
With a little string twisting you can get a bow to run 1/2"-3/4" long. They also make bows with longer draw lengths. Id think you would get more speed with a slower bow set at your long draw length vs a speed bow at 30" jmho.

Craig4791

WKR
Take a look at the PSE Freak Max. Goes up to 33" draw lengths and shoots in the 355 ata range.

There are a few long draw options out there.

vcb

WKR
Agreed. With that long of a power stroke you should be able to get some extra speed out of a bow even if it is not a "speed" bow. The cpxl is a long draw at 340

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I was checking out the freak max. Looks good.the cpxl is by bowtech and I have heard all sorts of terrible things about them. Blowtech , bowreck , ect. Does Hoyt make a fast long draw bow. I want to know what I want to see before I go to a shop and get the in stock is what you need pitch.

OR Archer

WKR
I really don't agree with the accuracy of the wingspan method. You honestly need to fit a bow to you. I have lost count of how many guys come in to the shop that have used this method to figure their draw length and not be any where close to that once a bow is fitted to them properly. Find a competent pro shop and have them fit you, because one bow at 31" might fit and the next at the same draw may not.

wapitibob

WKR
No way on earth I would touch one of the "speed bows" with your draw.
I used to be 6'4 and my draw is 29.5 AMO or 27.75 to the grip throat. I have .625" inside the loop to the string. Bows much shorter than 38" will create some problems with head position.

ckleeves

WKR
I really don't agree with the accuracy of the wingspan method. You honestly need to fit a bow to you. I have lost count of how many guys come in to the shop that have used this method to figure their draw length and not be any where close to that once a bow is fitted to them properly. Find a competent pro shop and have them fit you, because one bow at 31" might fit and the next at the same draw may not.

X2! If I went with this method I would shoot a 30.5" draw and I'm much more comfortable with 29"-29.5" depending on what release I'm using. Up until about 6 years ago I always had bows that I was drawing to long and my form and accuracy suffered.

J-Daddy

WKR
I'm not a fan of the "wingspan" method either...There are other ways to measure it that are a little more accurate.
One thing to remember is not all draw lengths are created equal...Just because a bow is set to say 30" doesn't mean that's really what it's drawing...Most run a little long, some are close, 1/8" or so, but some companies are notorious "Mathews I'm looking at you" for running anywhere from 1/2" to 3/4" longer than what they are set to...My string builder is a tall dude with a long draw length, he shoots short AtoA bows all the time..He's a wiz on the PSE bows, he knows how to get a little more length out of them and still make them tune right and be screaming fast to boot.

Danielboone

Lil-Rokslider
I easily draw 33". All my longbows were made for a 32" DL. Stay away from the CPXL at the 32" DL, there is a issue with it at that DL. Haven't shot the Freak yet. I have an Edlipse set for 32.5" and really like that bow. Also have a new Pure on the way that Elite built for my DL. The MR7 and 8 go to that length and show nice, they also tent to run long. Twisting cables becomes a fact with us LD guys.

J-Daddy

WKR
I easily draw 33". All my longbows were made for a 32" DL. Stay away from the CPXL at the 32" DL, there is a issue with it at that DL. Haven't shot the Freak yet. I have an Edlipse set for 32.5" and really like that bow. Also have a new Pure on the way that Elite built for my DL. The MR7 and 8 go to that length and show nice, they also tent to run long. Twisting cables becomes a fact with us LD guys.

And I thought Andre the Giant was dead.....33", damn!!!!