How much clothes for a 5 day hunt?

Sgrog

Lil-Rokslider
If you're doing a 5 day backpack hunt do you carry any extra clothing besides underwear and socks? I'm thinking about a second base layer and two facemasks. Two pairs of sock liners and four pairs of socks. What do you recommend? Thanks.

One extra pair of underwear and socks, rain gear, which sometimes is worn the entire hunt, and puffy pants/jacket. Also a warm hat/beanie that I usually wear to bed and when needed during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vegeman

FNG
I take one set of clothes for hunting in, and one set for camp. I'll normally get dirty and wet while hunting anyway, so there's not much point in changing into fresh clothes all the time.

5 days should only require the essentials.
If it were 5 months, then perhaps a second set of hunting clothes would be good insurance in the event of damage. Etc.

Good luck on your trip!

The only extra I would take is one pair of socks, maybe one underwear and a set of jammies to sleep in.

amp713

WKR
If you are back packing a few miles into a base camp and just hunting from there take what you want.

If going in deep or hunting all from what's on your back.... cut it down a lot more.

OP
S

Sgrog

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. Yeah, we're backpacking in 3.5 miles and setting up a base camp. Expect temps from 25-45 deg F.

Jbehredt

WKR
I carry a change of socks for every day. Used to get athletes foot all the time. That led to a toenail fungus scare so foot care is always a high priority. Everything else on body can go 5 days.

I wore gaiters, pants, merino boxers, long sleeve merino top, liners and socks this year the vast majority of the time. I carried one extra pair of boxers, liners, and socks and swapped them out every night.

The additional layers/accessories I carried were a light fleece pullover, puffy, rain gear, gloves, and beanie. I wore everything but not a lot as temps were warmer than expected. I also carried a short sleeve merino top that I switched out with but didn’t wear much.

I always bring n+1 pairs of boxers. Exofficios are light. And I sweat a lot. But I can run 2 pairs of socks for 5 days no problem.

rbljack

WKR
One extra pair of underwear and socks, rain gear, which sometimes is worn the entire hunt, and puffy pants/jacket. Also a warm hat/beanie that I usually wear to bed and when needed during the day.

I got back from a 5 day elk hunt last week. This is very close to what I had as well. Our weather started out in the 20's and snowing...and gradually increased as the days went by. The only additional items I had was an extra base layer top (chama hoody) and I carry a total of 3 pairs of socks. One stays at camp in the sleeping bag. That way I always have a dry pair to sleep in. They stay at camp, and dry during the day (hopefully) and are ready for bed the next night. I debated a set of long underwear or the puffy pant. I ended up going with the puffy pant because I didn't want to be hot in the long johns during the day while hiking around. Worked pretty good. I even wore them in my sleeping bag one nihgt because temps dropped way down there. The extra base layer wasn't necessary though. OH....i also brought the FL Labrador which is a heavy wool layer. I hiked in with it, but then it sat at camp the whole time and I never needed it, so maybe that will help u dial in your gear.

Not sure if this would count as extra, but I brought my gaiters with me too, and ended up wearing them every day. We were in the snow for the first 3 days....so they were worth it for sure! Id say you could drop at least one pair of socks for sure.
And if we are getting right to it, I could have dropped the xtra pair of underwear for the 5 day trip. I tried the FL red desert boxers this year and I was impressed. I switched mine out on day 4, but they weren't really that bad. Had at least another day of wear in them....LOL.

boom

WKR
i damn near go feral on backpack hunts. it gets pretty gross.

put clean clothing in the truck.

Just take with you extra socks, believe me, you will need them. And of course another t-shirt. You know when I go fishing I just prepare myself very well 'cause I know that I will need there something that will make me feel better. So I always search this site lilylulufashion.com and find something new for my next journey. I like buying clothes from there 'cause the quality is at the highest level and I can find everything that I need. But socks and some t-shirts are the base of my bag hehe.

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
3 pairs of socks and maybe an extra t-shirt. Otherwise, what I wear in is what I wear out.

If I am near water, one pair of socks is hanging to dry after rinsing, one is on my feet and one is in the pack. People ask about those little things that you take or do on a backcountry hunt (or just hiking for that matter), and, to me, clean socks are awesome in the morning. One other is chocolate covered coffee beans.

Jeremy

mlgc20

WKR
This is pretty much what I do. With the exception of the puffy pants. I usually replace puffy pants with zip off base layer bottoms.

Check out the Exo "What's in my pack" videos on YouTube. There you'll see exactly what avid hunters are carrying. Between that and what you read here you should get a good reference, then decide what works for you.

Personally I always have three pairs of socks.