How much do you all actually hunt?

Northpark

WKR
Ok so I won’t say I got into an argument with the wife but discussion was had about how much hunting I do. So I’m the last year I hunted Aoudad and javelina in west Texas for a week, spent 10 days in NV chasing mule deer, then 9 days in Colorado for elk and have been chasing coues deer for the last couple weeks here in AZ. The discussion was spurred by my plan to spend all day Saturday and Sunday in the wilderness chasing deer.

So how much do you all hunt?

bsnedeker

WKR
This was my year:

3 weekends hunting turkeys locally (came home at night)
4 weekend trips hunting bears, 2 were 4 day weekends

2 weekend trips scouting elk
14 day hunting archery elk on opener
2 additional weekend trips hunting archery elk

3 day trip hunting antelope and deer

2 weekend trips hunting elk with a rifle
7 day trip hunting elk and deer with a rifle

So a little over 50 days in the field. I'm not counting fishing or day trips looking for small game with my kids... that's family time after all!

Skipped out on shoulder season this year, but I'm expecting a call next month from fwp for an elk damage hunt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
It helps my wife if I can hunt locally as much as possible. Last year was something like:

6 half days javelina hunting locally
6 days gone oryx hunting
3 half days scouting for sheep locally
6 days gone elk hunting colorado
15 half days + 3 days backpack bear hunting
5 days gone deer hunting Kansas
10 half days scouting + 3 days gone elk hunting locally

So about 34 day hunts locally and 23 overnights.

add in a dozen or so days small game hunting with my kid

Last edited:

elkguide

WKR
Being able to hunt right out my back door, (in 10 minutes I can walk to the shop, get in my SXS, drive to a box blind and be settled in) I hunt a lot. In a non C-19 year, I usually head to Idaho to hunt for 2 or 3 weeks, hunt in New York for a week and hunt here in Vermont for 3 or 4 weeks. If you added in scouting, planting food plots and enjoying wildlife behind the house, you'd have to add another 3 or 4 weeks of Saturdays and evenings.
Life is good.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have a pretty long rifle season (five weeks) and prior to that some backcountry rifle hunts. I normally hunt 3-4 days/week (I now work part time :D) unless I'm lucky enough to kill an elk earlier; so roughly 15-25 days.

fmyth

WKR
2020= 7 days AZ OTC archery deer. 26 days WY archery elk. 22 days WY rifle elk. Home 1 day and went N to hunt AZ elk rifle season for 7 days. Missed my annual SD pheasant hunt due to covid but would have been gone 10 days.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just depends. This year was t as much as I’d have liked.

My trips were:
-8 days
-7 days
-4 days

But going out bird hunting a bunch of times, and in the summers I’ll fish 3-4 days a week. It all adds up but who cares.

mtnkid85

WKR
I had 45ish days between September-Nov for big game. I don't know what I had for all the other seasons. Ive always meant to keep a record of what I do. Now is a good time to start!

Actual trips, normally only one. 16-18 days. Usually a few weekends also 2-4 days. Hunt a lot around the farm, so I get time in.

I would be single if it was 2 serious trips a year tho.

Probably 60-75 times a year, access out my back door so many of those are 2 hour bow hunts and not overnight trips. Probably 10-20 days overnight away from home.

RCB

WKR
Not much.

Last year I spent 2 half-days on turkey, 3 days on deer, 1 day on pronghorn, 3 days on elk. I probably spent another 5 half-days or so on various small game.

The amount of time I spend thinking about hunting far exceeds my time actually hunting.

Traveler

WKR
Not as much as I’d like.

5 days spring turkey
5-7 days scouting
11 days archery elk
4 days rifle deer
4 days archery deer
Lots a day fishing trips.