How much do you all actually hunt?

zacattack

WKR
Most years around 20 days or so, during college that number was probably closer to 60-90 This year was 0, first kid being born in mid April killed Turkey season and then some family issues killed fall for me. Have high hopes for 2021.

I did a 4 day turkey hunt in the spring
and 19 full days for mule deer along with a couple half days in there.

Western_hunter87

Lil-Rokslider
Chasing pigs all year, deer, bear, ducks, geese, usually loggin in about 90-120 days hunting a year. 60-80 nights in my tipi

Shaw

FNG
Just about all of my hunting is done for whitetails in Alabama. Our season begins on October 15 and lasts until February 10. I hunt just about every weekend. I normally use two weeks of vacation the first two weeks of November to bow hunt and another week the first week of December to hunt our rut. I’m also off from Christmas Eve until January 2 every year because they are paid holidays at my job. By mid January I’m normally limited out, have the freezer full or pretty much burnt out.

I’ve been going to Wyoming every other year for a week to hunt mule deer or elk since 2017 and that has just about ruined hunting for me in Alabama. 😆

I did a bunch of hunting and no killing in 2020 but wasn’t from lack of effort.

January 2020 12 days for NM rutting mule deer.

September elk 23 days otc CO

December 2 days NM cow rifle UW LO tag.

a weekend of calling for a friend for his October muzzy hunt

a weekend for his muzzy deer hunt

and many weekend scouting trips so I probably have at least 60-70 total days afield counting scouting

Definitely not enough. This year was probably the least amount of time I have hunted in a while. I think I had about 12-14 days. Most years I'd say its about 25-30.

DanimalW

WKR
As much as I can. I have a 4.5 YO and 1.5 YO so long trips away aggravate my wife, which is understandable. Did two trips away (5 day rifle deer and 7 days black bear) this year. With covid restrictions this fall I found myself working from home a lot. So I got to whitetail archery hunt a lot behind my house and pheasant hunt a mile down the road quite a bit. I’ll take that with my current situation.

Stewy

FNG
It really depends on the year. But usually not more than 2 weeks. Have a hard time with getting time off

Deadfall

WKR
About 90 days guiding. Over the winter 2 to 3 weeks chasing dogs. Couple weeks in spring chasing turkey's. Summer time is camping scouting plotting time.

Be curious to see how it all shakes out from here since this was my last year in the guiding game.

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting is hard to gauge for me. I know I spend 30-40 solid days hunting a year. But if I go for a hike around the pond, that's 2 miles. Half the time I bring a gun. So I might be hunting there too? I do that 1-2 times per week throughout the year. But then again... I dont leave the property, so maybe you are one of those city people, so you gauge it differently.

Fishing on the the other hand. I probably am away from the house for 30-50 days a year. Hopfully I can double this in 2 years. A life spent indoors is a wasted life imo.

BuzzH

WKR
Average year 40-60 days actually hunting, depending on tags. Some years have been only 30 or so days, some up to 90 when I have good tags. Year before last, for example, bighorn sheep, 26 days on just that tag.

I'm out in the woods at work 100-120 days a year.

Maybe 10-12 days scouting each year too.

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
Every Saturday from early October to end of January.
1 full week of rifle deer.
Any day off of work.
A couple of long weekend’s thrown in.
Wife is starting to get crabby now.
Saturday is the last day

rhsmith3

FNG
Cat season is around 90 days long (December 1- February 28) and I can hunt in all directions close to home. Depending on conditions I would say I hunt at least 30 and as many as 50. March 1 - May 15 I’m generally she’s hunting if that count.. 15-20 days. I work 4 10’s. May 23 to the end of July I try to make it to Idaho as many times as I can to Bear hunt with the dogs and that varies of course if I don’t draw the statewide hound hunter permit. I have been fairly fortunate drawing it though. That tacks on another 15-20 days. Then it’s hanging cameras and looking for Mule deer in the High country. 10-15 times mostly a morning or an evening. Then archery season which I get at least 20 days unless I tag out.

Rifle hunting is always weird I may go to Idaho, Washington or help people here in Oregon. Never the same but between those and special permits or late draw tags that keeps me busy until pursuit season with the hounds start again. I’d guess conservatively 100 and some years up to 150. Some of those are cat hunting all day and night. And some are just a morning glass session.

MiPublic

FNG
15-20 weekend or day off during the week in whitetail archery season within 15 miles of home.
8 straight days for the first week of whitetail rifle season, usually at camp in the UP 300+ miles away.
4-8 extra days during rifle/muzzleloading season if tags aren't filled 15-40 miles away.
20-ish days squirrel hunting with the dog 10 miles away.
10-day fishing trip in the spring to the UP 300+ miles away.
5-7 other random days fishing throughout the year.

So long story short the answer is not enough!

grademan1

FNG
This year I archery hunted 9 days in Colorado for elk, archery hunted 12 days in Ohio and a handful of times in NC. Heading out next week for a Snow goose hunt in Missouri.

DV4LF3

FNG
I spend about 80-100 days a year from October to February in the woods... wife spends about 60 of those with me. She’s a trooper.

Hunt_UP

FNG
Good question! For me it varies yearly on tags but I’m usually out from Sept-Jan averaging 70 days. I also turned my passion of being in the woods into a career as a forester so I can rack up another 150 days or more per year where I’m also keying in on new areas.

Being a career Firefighter, I work 120 days each year roughly. I am fortunate to spend a lot of time in the woods and it’s just gotten even better now that my Wife is hooked on hunting.
As my username suggests, Id say I get to hunt at least 3-4 days each week between deer and turkey season, a lot of which is spent hunting with my Wife and 3 kids.
I guess you can say that I’m more of a guide than an actual hunter nowadays.

Last edited: