How much do you spend on tags?

Hello Rokslide,
I will be applying to multiple states this year for preference points. Curious to who here spends the most on applications. How much do you spend on applications each year? How many different species do you pursue preference points for?

YBPS

WKR
When applying for (2) people in multiple states where you have to front the cost of the tags up front its pretty easy to have 25K tied up for a few months.

I used to chase points and tags in 8 states and would spend close to $5k between licenses, application fees, preference points, and a couple of non-resident and resident tags every year. Then I realized I would be happier retiring earlier to enjoy more time-off hunting cheaper tags in my own state, tag along on hunting buddies tags as a helper, and a pick-up few cheap doe tags in neighboring states. I'm down to $500 this year, but to each their own.

bsnedeker

WKR
In state I spent about 300-350 total. That is applying for every draw tag in the state, buying points for everything, and buying every OTC tag available in the state. I have an absurd amount of tags.

I'm also spending $50 per year buying an elk point in WY. Planning on applying there in the next 5-10 years once I get a bit more dialed in on hunting them here in MT.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
Non-refundable Western points I roughly spend- WY- 120$, AZ- 180$'s, CO- 140$'s
Elk tag every year- 6-800$
SD pheasant and ducks every year- 200$'s
WI in-state hunting- 150$'s or so

So in the ballpark of 1500-2000 depending on the year.

1k for Idaho, and a donation for resi tags in Washington. I don't do points games but I think I will buy a point for Montana to prepare for 2022.

S.Clancy

WKR
What if you didn’t draw any tags? How much in application fees, qualifying licenses, etc.
AZ- NR OTC deer tag, license and elk app and point is roughly 500$
MT - Resident elk, deer, antelope, bear, 4 Turkey tags, upland and waterfowl, maybe a cow elk or doe tags is roughly 150$
WY - Deer and elk points, app fees, 110$, if drawn for deer, 500$
NV - App for deer, 15$, if drawn I think it's around 400-450$.

So fixed cost of around 800$, variable up to about 1600-1700$.

S.Clancy

WKR
What if you didn’t draw any tags? How much in application fees, qualifying licenses, etc.
That's also excluding money for when I go to AK to hunt with my buddy who just moved there, either in 21' or 22'. That money is saved and earmarked already tho. I cash flow the rest.

Probably average $1500 a year. 1 western trip, and hunting/fishing in 2-3 states back east...
Wish it was cheaper but it's worth every penny to me

I have small game and fishing licenses in a bunch of states by June. My buddy and I were talking the other day one year we need to go hunt small game and fish in all the states we have license for due to draw...kind surprised somebody hasnt done that for a hunting show yet..lol