How much do you value boot weight and height?

Mosby

WKR
Yes, hope you guys likem, they're a solid boot! Heck, I hate taking them off! (grin)

If you have any heel slip at all let me know, I have a slick & easy cure for that! It's something I do to every boot I own! Good luck!

ElkNut/Paul
I was going to order a pair a few months ago but they don't seem to come in wide. I have to have ankle support and I am happy with my Lowa's and Zamberlain's but would love to shave off some weight on my feet. The search for me continues.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Take a look at the Hanwag Tatra Top GTX. You will not find a better fitting, ultra-light, Crispi/Kennetrek-style boot. 30oz total weight for the pair. Virtually zero break-in, ball-bearing lacing system, excellent traction up and down, soft enough to wear all day and stiff enough to get you everywhere.
I pair mine with Superfeet Guides and Sitka Stormfront gaiters. Probably 500 miles on them. Never had a failure in 3 years, still look new, no threads coming apart, no soles separated. No issues.

They look great but pretty sure that’s 30.7/oz per boot for a US 7.5.

Jimss

WKR
My preference is lighter weight over tall, stiff, heavy boots. Obviously if you are bowhunting and stalking game weight and stiffness are super important. It's pretty much impossible to stalk quietly with heavy, stiff boots. Indians used moccassins!

Obviously if you are hunting steep, rocky terrain it's super nice having stiff soles that have an edge for digging into sidehills without the upper portion of the boot sagging. My preference is mid height/weight hikers. I generally cover lots of country in a day on steep terrain. My feet and legs are pretty much used to that terrain since I work in it just about every day. Obviously if you have weak ankles/knees it may be wise to use taller boots.

It's nice having a selection of boots for different times of year and conditions. I often wear different boots antelope hunting vs elk hunting vs sheep hunting. I also have boots that breath better in summer vs winter hunting in snow. There's nothing worse than sweaty feet.....also wet feet! If you want 1 pair of all-round boots I'd grab a medium height/weight hiker.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Alright @ElkNut1 , got them in today (the UA Infil Ops GTX 10" 11.5)

First impressions aren't complete as the cast on my left leg isn't coming off until Monday (thank GOD!), but I did put the right one on and play with it a bit during my lunch break today.

Pros:

Much more ankle support than I thought they'd have.

Lacing system is perfect for my feet - couple experiments with a surgeons knot at varying heights and by the 2nd time around I had one of the best fits I've ever had (I normally wear an 11 wide, ordered an 11.5, perfect) with zero heel slip and no toe bumping.

Very comfortable out of the box - not tight spots or pressure points. For reference I tried a couple Crispi models last year and they hurt the top of my feet badly out of the box.

Weight - well this is a pro and a con. They are very lightweight, but the advertised weight of 38.2 oz/pair must be for the smallest size, these 11.5's are 45.2 oz for the pair. Still very lightweight, a full 36 oz/pair (or 1 1/8 lb EACH!) lighter than the Scarpas I had! And still 1/4 lb+ lighter each than my Irish Setters I wore last year, so that should help with fatigue.

Cons:

Tread is not as deep as I thought it would be, though it is aggressive. Not placing much priority on this as I will have Kahtoola microspikes with me this year.

Biggest gripe - yeah, its a 10" boot but the liner is only 7" from the floor. Now, I just now realized the 9" Irish Setters I wore last year are the same way with a 7" from the floor liner, so they'll be fine. However I was looking forward to them being waterproof to 10".

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
First off I don't' think you can go wrong with Schnee's boots, Kenetrek, Crispi, or Lowa I would try them all on and see what fits you the best. I have narrow feet so I use uninsulated Schnee's. I used these boots with light socks in september during 85 degree Antelope hunts and heavy socks in -14 Elk hunts.

Second holy socks batman!!! You should never have to wear more than one pair of socks in a well fitting boot. Wearing more than one pair is actually what often causes blisters as the socks rubbing together and cause friction->heat->blister. When I fit a boot the number one thing I look for is that the heel is locked down, also important to make sure the laces are tied tight enough to lock you down.

Third I can't speak to your Cabela's but as long as you are wearing a pair of gaiters (so water doesn't come in over the top) with your well oiled boots you should be able to stand in a stream for minutes without getting wet. I have crossed knee deep creeks with my Schnee's with gaiters and exited with damp pants and 100% dry socks.

Whisky

WKR
Yes, hope you guys likem, they're a solid boot! Heck, I hate taking them off! (grin)

If you have any heel slip at all let me know, I have a slick & easy cure for that! It's something I do to every boot I own! Good luck!

ElkNut/Paul

Paul, I'd be curious to hear your solution to heel slip? I got these boots last week and while they worked very well in the gym for 3 days doing various inclined things, I took them to the hills this weekend and had to cut a hike short because my heels were getting ripped up. My fault for not taping my heels. This is the first 10" boot I have tried in 5-6 years, as taller boots just seem to give my heels trouble.

Thanks

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Paul, I'd be curious to hear your solution to heel slip? I got these boots last week and while they worked very well in the gym for 3 days doing various inclined things, I took them to the hills this weekend and had to cut a hike short because my heels were getting ripped up. My fault for not taping my heels. This is the first 10" boot I have tried in 5-6 years, as taller boots just seem to give my heels trouble.

Thanks

I finally got in a 3 mile hike with sweat soaked socks and a 50 lb pack on yesterday, no issues. Have you tried different lacing techniques? I'm fine with the standard, but I know some Scarpas I had I did a surgeons not below the first open eyelets, ran the laces straight to the top then down the open eyelets so that I tied my knot over the surgeon's knot.

Whisky

WKR
I have not tried alternative lacing techniques with these boots. In the past that did not 100% remedy the problem, but it did help some. I will give it another shot.

I did pick up another pair of boots to start testing as well, Crispi Colorado. I also bought my first pair of Superfeet soles, and I have added a poly liner sock to the arsenal as well. Time will tell!

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider

ElkNut/Paul

Ok... Let's hear it?

Wow, those do have me intrigued. Love my UA sneakers.

agree, If I'm in pleasant conditions I will hunt in my $65 UA Horizon rtt. I am surprised at how comfortable UA is for the price. I have Schnees Granite II for everything else.

ElkNut/Paul

The upper looks soft and not able to hold foot in place and would let foot slide forward in downhill travel. What about sidehill movement?

Marble

WKR

ElkNut/Paul
I really enjoyed my UA boots and would describe them how you did. But I had the same problem with both pairs I got. After I put them in my closet, after elk season in September and october, then turkey, quail and more turkey through april, I put them on in August only to find they shrunk. UA provided a new pair at no cost. That pair lasted just like the other. When I went to go get those replaced they said no, your original warranty has expired.

So it is a different boot. I dont recall which one exactly, but it was UA boot in a size 14.

I'm not sure why they shrunk. UA never had a question or suggestion.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
I'm back on the market for light/waterproof/supportive if anyone can point me in a direction...