How much do you value boot weight and height?

ChrisAU

WKR
So last year I wore some 9" Irish Setters that weighed around 60 oz for the pair that performed great but I slipped all over the places. So, I got some Scarpa Grand Drus that were the same height with a much more aggressive tread (looking back, the Irish Setters pretty much had slick tread on them. Crazily inadequate for going up and down terrain), but they weigh 83 oz for the pair. I just found a used pair of Scarpa Kailash that have a VERY aggressive tread for cheap and snagged them to try because they should come in around 52 oz, but they are only 6". For early October in CO (1st rifle), should I prioritize the weight or the height when picking a pair assuming all other things are equal? I will have gaiters with me to help with water in wet grass btw.

I prefer as light a boot that I can get away with. An oz saved on the foot is like a pound saved in the pack because we have to lift and set them down constantly. It’s the nature of swing weight. All more reason to build foot strength in our daily lives and train on uneven terrain to strengthen the feet and ankles so we don’t have to compensate with heavier boots.

Brendan

WKR
Really depends on the individual. I have a weak ankle, so I need enough support and stiffness to protect that. Managed to turn my ankle and give it a mild sprain while wearing a fully-laced set of Crispi's last year with about a 70# load on my back. Have since decided something that light and flexible doesn't work for me carrying any sort of load or on any serious off-piste terrain.

ElkNut1

WKR
Personally, because of a weak left ankle due to breaking it 15 years back I need Height, 9" - 10" minimum. But I also want semi waterproof & light weight as I can find. The U/A Infil Ops Gortex 10" boots I picked a few months back have been a real godsend. They are fantastic so far. My Kennetreks, Crispis, Lowas, Asolos & others take a back seat to these 19-oz boots. I'm shocked how good these turned out to be!

ElkNut/Paul

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Personally, because of a weak left ankle due to breaking it 15 years back I need Height, 9" - 10" minimum. But I also want semi waterproof & light weight as I can find. The U/A Infil Ops Gortex 10" boots I picked a few months back have been a real godsend. They are fantastic so far. My Kennetreks, Crispis, Lowas, Asolos & others take a back seat to these 19-oz boots. I'm shocked how good these turned out to be!

ElkNut/Paul

Wow, those do have me intrigued. Love my UA sneakers.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
All personal preference. I find myself putting most emphasis on weight since I believe my ankles are made of rubber. They can twist and bend in weird contortions and never have an issue. I swap between trail runners and Solomon Quest 4D boots.

muddydogs

WKR
Boot weight is never a concern of mine, I worry about fit, durability and waterproofness. 6" height is plenty for everything except deep snow but then again this is a different boot all together.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
I've read on here a few times that an ounce on the foot is like a pound in the pack. Just wondering how much I can reduce my fatigue with a lighter boot.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR

ElkNut/Paul

So before I order some to try, you are saying these are a ~38 oz/pair 10" waterproof boot that gives good ankle support?

ElkNut1

WKR
Chris, I haven't had them in enough rains to comment on 100% waterproof. I'll be honest, I could care less how waterproof they are, these are the best boot I've had in near 40 years of elk hunting; with hunting every terrain imaginable. I primarily hunt the steep rugged benchy stuff with lots of timber & downfall. These boots have close to Kennetrek rigidness with plenty of ankle support & super light weight! If you've worn Salomon 3D or 4d boots in the past you'll find these blow them away in every aspect including comfort received from the memory foam walls.

I own that tanish speckled color set of them not the solid black ones!

ElkNut/Paul

FlyGuy

WKR
I hunt primarily in early season (September) and I’ve migrated to light weight over the past 4 years. Started with kenetrek ME (still have them) and have worked all the way down to Salomon SpeedCross GTX trail running shoes.

I struggle with blisters in a bad way during elk hunts . I get in lots a training miles, but it’s all flat country or stairmaster. None of the side-hilling or incline/decline angles that cause your foot to rub. Plus, I sweat like a goat. Socks are always soaked which makes me most susceptible to the blisters, and tall heavy boots just make that situation worse. I found after giving my trail runners a try that my feet stayed dryer and I had way less problems. and the significant difference in weight made a tremendous difference in effort. I also found the softer, more flexible soles were way more quiet for stalking.

I’ve never had ankle issues so I’m comfortable with the low tops. Gaiters are pretty much a requirement with low top shoes though. Debris will constantly find its way into the shoe without them and you will be stopping every 20 min to shake them out. If you think you’re going to power through the discomfort of the debris b/c you’re too tired to deal with it, you will just end up with more blisters from being stupid. Ask me how I know.

The only downside I’ve found to hunting in running shoes is that my feet feel more “vulnerable”. When covering ground, especially in open grassy areas where I’m not paying close attention to my steps, if there is a rock hiding in that meadow you can bet I will find it with a swift toe-kick! The heavy boots tend to absorb the impact into the frame of the boot, but running shoes channel it directly into one unlucky toe. Lots of hoping around and cursing.

Having said all that, I did just order a couple things to try. After hearing all the great reviews I ordered a pair of Salomon 4D 3 GTX to try. Wore them around the house last night and They are very nice. Still heavier and hotter than I want to wear everyday, but I like to have a good hiking boot around for certain occasions so I’m keeping these. they won’t be my #1, But I will keep them at the truck for 2nd loads during pack-out or colder weather/light snow.

Secondly, I ordered these crazy ass looking Salomon trail runners called Alpine 2. They are essentially a trail runner with a built in gaiter. Only wore these for a few minutes in the house. I’m interested but not sure yet if I’m keeping them. There is some potential to be able to eliminate my Sitka gaiters as these will prevent the debris issue I mentioned above, but I’m Afraid they are going to be super hot.

e7cc34972a1ea12b3d157436f6ef2619.jpg

Good luck with your decision!

You can’t cheat the mountain

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Chris, I haven't had them in enough rains to comment on 100% waterproof. I'll be honest, I could care less how waterproof they are, these are the best boot I've had in near 40 years of elk hunting; with hunting every terrain imaginable. I primarily hunt the steep rugged benchy stuff with lots of timber & downfall. These boots have close to Kennetrek rigidness with plenty of ankle support & super light weight! If you've worn Salomon 3D or 4d boots in the past you'll find these blow them away in every aspect including comfort received from the memory foam walls.

I own that tanish speckled color set of them not the solid black ones!

ElkNut/Paul

How stiff are the soles? I couldn’t bend my scarpas if I tried (I have tried, and I’m talking with my arms, not just walking), but my Irish Setters are as floppy as hospital slippers.

ElkNut1

WKR
They are plenty stiff when you try to bend the toe box back, they will not bend at all. These are not like Salomon's, I call them an exonerated tennis shoe! (grin) These are serious light weight boots not a running shoe. I've owned everything worthwhile there is in a boot in the 10" plus height & these are crazy awesome! The comfort level is off the charts with weight on or off your back. U/A hit a home run with these! They're not cheap at 250.00 but you get what you pay for!

ElkNut/Paul

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
These UA boots sounds great Paul. Looks like they also come in the shorter 6" version. I have my next boot picked out!

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
They are plenty stiff when you try to bend the toe box back, they will not bend at all. These are not like Salomon's, I call them an exonerated tennis shoe! (grin) These are serious light weight boots not a running shoe. I've owned everything worthwhile there is in a boot in the 10" plus height & these are crazy awesome! The comfort level is off the charts with weight on or off your back. U/A hit a home run with these! They're not cheap at 250.00 but you get what you pay for!

ElkNut/Paul

Alright Paul, trusting ya here. Just put a pair on backorder with HDO Sports, shouldn't take too long UA and Midway show them in stock so we'll see. Tried to beat Midway up for a birthday coupon to no avail...got em from HDO for $212.49 shipped with SUMMER15 code. Sized up 1/2 a size, my Irish Setters were 11EE, ordered 11.5D on these. I'm on day 12 of 28 with a cast on my left leg for PF so if it takes a couple weeks that will be fine haha.

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes, hope you guys likem, they're a solid boot! Heck, I hate taking them off! (grin)

If you have any heel slip at all let me know, I have a slick & easy cure for that! It's something I do to every boot I own! Good luck!

ElkNut/Paul

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
Alright Paul, trusting ya here. Just put a pair on backorder with HDO Sports, shouldn't take too long UA and Midway show them in stock so we'll see. Tried to beat Midway up for a birthday coupon to no avail...got em from HDO for $212.49 shipped with SUMMER15 code. Sized up 1/2 a size, my Irish Setters were 11EE, ordered 11.5D on these. I'm on day 12 of 28 with a cast on my left leg for PF so if it takes a couple weeks that will be fine haha.

Would love to hear some follow up from ya. I've read several of Paul's posts on them, but it doesn't seem like a lot of folks have tried them out. They sound like a really great option. Wondering if they work for a wide range of feet.

So last year I wore some 9" Irish Setters that weighed around 60 oz for the pair that performed great but I slipped all over the places. So, I got some Scarpa Grand Drus that were the same height with a much more aggressive tread (looking back, the Irish Setters pretty much had slick tread on them. Crazily inadequate for going up and down terrain), but they weigh 83 oz for the pair. I just found a used pair of Scarpa Kailash that have a VERY aggressive tread for cheap and snagged them to try because they should come in around 52 oz, but they are only 6". For early October in CO (1st rifle), should I prioritize the weight or the height when picking a pair assuming all other things are equal? I will have gaiters with me to help with water in wet grass btw.
Take a look at the Hanwag Tatra Top GTX. You will not find a better fitting, ultra-light, Crispi/Kennetrek-style boot. 30oz total weight for the pair. Virtually zero break-in, ball-bearing lacing system, excellent traction up and down, soft enough to wear all day and stiff enough to get you everywhere.
I pair mine with Superfeet Guides and Sitka Stormfront gaiters. Probably 500 miles on them. Never had a failure in 3 years, still look new, no threads coming apart, no soles separated. No issues.