How much do you worry about black bears in the backcountry?

JSonn

FNG
I don't worry, but they always end up surprising me when I least expect it. I turn around and one is looking right at me- it's kind of a shock followed by familiarity.

Don't Worry, Just be aware. Keep a tidy camp and its unlikely you will have any trouble. My first encounter was a little unnerving but now I look forward to seeing black bear in the wild.

C

I believe Curtis hit it on the money, keep the camp tidy and what we do and tell people here is " Don't keep your tooth brush / tooth paste where your sleeping " because bears can sniff that stuff out pretty quick, believe me !!!! Be aware and be safe :)

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Not at all. I have been charged before with shanevg. Definatly was scary, but can is a rare occurance. They are generally much more scared of you than than most think, just keep a clean camp as said.

dotman

WKR
Last year was the first time I heard a bear popping her jaws, that snapping sound as the teeth come together can put you on edge.
Didn't have one charge yet though, that is a good thing.

I don't care what anyone says i always have bear spray with me. Why take a chance even if it is very slim that you would need it?

I've only had them run towards me once; and that was two cubs that I didn't realize were there when I went after their mom, which was a large sow. They must have been confused...maybe couldn't see me well. I had to hit one with a stick from 15 yards before they put the breaks on! I wish I would have had video of it! The rest of my black bear encounters; they have always high tailed at top speed.

BuckSnort

WKR
Fred ain't scared!...lol

[video=youtube;-XM-Gbj2dPw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XM-Gbj2dPw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Lawnboi

WKR
Anyone else notice all the toliets in that video?

Black bears are just big raccoons in my eyes. And theres not much im too scared of with my glock loaded with 13 230g jacketed hollow points strapped to my side.

Do you guys still carry spray, even if you have a side arm?

dotman

WKR
Anyone else notice all the toliets in that video?

Black bears are just big raccoons in my eyes. And theres not much im too scared of with my glock loaded with 13 230g jacketed hollow points strapped to my side.

Do you guys still carry spray, even if you have a side arm?

I do but that isn't for animal protection. I carry a 10oz 380.

B

bearguide

the big bears can be trouble sometimes / i have a friend from evanston who got munched on pretty good , on a bow hunt here in wyo / grizzly moms do not like to share space