How much does muzzleloader affect archery elk in Colorado

bignocks

FNG
The month of September is archery elk and with the muzzleloader being 12 thru the 20th how would that change your elk archery dates. Would u try to go before or after or it don't really affect it that much? Curious what people have noticed and what dates they would go archery elk hunting with that in mind. I also wondered with this droubt if it will push the rut back a bit like last year in new Mexico. Thanks.

gelton

WKR
My first-year bow hunting in CO I didn't even think about Muzzleloaders and scheduled my solo trip during the Muzzie season, I thought I would have plenty of room to roam without running into people and the side of the mountain looked like a pumpkin patch.

The good thing is that most of them do not hike in very far and hunt near the roads, the bad thing is that many of them also hire outfitters and/or are on horseback.

An archer running into Muzzleloaders is one thing because you can outwork them, but running into a muzzleloader on horseback or hunting out of an outfitter camp is something entirely different. I never have planned an archery hunt during ML season since then, however this year it would be hard to avoid if you want to be there during peak rut.

OXN939

WKR
Don't bother going in to the woods the last weekend of muzzleloader, last year saturday and sunday was a shit show.

Not hunting CO any time soon, but just curious- how many points does it take to get into a unit where the volume of muzzleloader hunters is below the threshold of causing a dick dance like this?

def90

WKR
Having said I would write off the weekend the area where I hunt is fairly busy every weekend of the season but there were plenty of mid week days that I went out and I was the only car in the parking area. I saw one guy on a wednesday mid morning muzzleloader season, the following saturday I saw so many people that I just went home around noon. If you can pull off week days you will avoid the weekend warriors.

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
Not hunting CO any time soon, but just curious- how many points does it take to get into a unit where the volume of muzzleloader hunters is below the threshold of causing a dick dance like this?
That’s kind of what I was thinking. Most places are 3 plus points for muzzy

You’re asking the wrong Question. The right question is “how much does archery season affect archery hunting?” And the answer is “an infinite amount”

Interesting viewpoint..
I think it’s area dependent.
ML definitely seems more busy than Archery, at least from what I’ve observed.
Plus, guides usually have more ML clients vs archery...I would assume.

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I took muzzle loader off this year to recoup and recharge if I dont fill in the first 10. Then I'll be back the last 10 if needed. Figured not deal with the extra hunters. Not that I was worried about it, just need to pick a week to recoup regardless. Muzzle loader made the most sense mid September for me this year.

OXN939

WKR
That’s kind of what I was thinking. Most places are 3 plus points for muzzy

Yeah. Doesn't seem appealing to burn three points to partake in what all these guys are describing hah

cnelk

WKR
I’ve found that the ML influence can vary from year to year. Even tho the same amount of tags are issued each year, the hunters don’t always hunt the same areas.

But I do tend to avoid opening weekend of ML, by Wednesday of season they are tired and leaving. :)

I recommend looking at the CPW stats for tags/hunters in your unit if interest. Muzzleloader is limited draw, so in a limited draw archery unit you may notice the increase. In an OTC unit where there are huge numbers of hunters already maybe another 90-100 muzzleloaders isn’t as noticeable.

OP
B

bignocks

FNG
Thanks for alls input. IM hunting unit 57/58 and someone mentioned ML season when I said I was going middle of the month and I was like o crap I didnt realize ML was then. So now Im deciding what would be the best dates to go. I am coming from out of state so Its a one and done trip.

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
Last year for me, it very much so effected me. Be cautious of vocal elk in a scenario where the shouldn’t be, and think about any decoy you’d be using. I’d be willing to bet I had a muzzle loader pointed at me last year ready to let some lead fly..

Luckily the muzzle loader hunters in that area didn’t venture to far away from the pickup, and I could hunt accordingly.

Nothing will ever rival old school Wisconsin’s gun deer season, or South Dakota pheasant opener but the Colorado unit I was in last year archery hunting during muzzle loader season is for sure 3rd place when it comes to an Orange zoo.

bz_711

WKR
I've hunted 3 different units in CO during Muzzleloader and they have had zero impact. I've yet to see a single muzzleloader hunter in the woods and MAYBE once or twice have heard a shot (could have been any firearm being shot)...that is over 10 years. I would not let any part of muzzleloader season impact my plans.

Now this year I'm taking my son on his first elk hunt and he'll have a muzzleloader bull tag...so I'm hoping I finally witness some impact from a muzzleloader hunter:)

I avoid it.

Personally, I wish they would move it to the first week of archery and get it away from the rut.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Added pressure is still more pressure regardless where it comes from. But in the last 10 years I've heard exactly 6 ML shots during their season, and 5 of those were on bulls I was working and never knew there was a ML hunter even in the area.