How much does muzzleloader affect archery elk in Colorado

CMF

WKR
This will be my first year in CO, we'll be hunting from the 3-12th. I'm wondering if we should expect to see ML hunters heading in early on Friday to set up camp or scouting? I'm hoping we can get it done before then, but we have 2 tags to fill. We picked earlier dates because of vacation time and my buddy's shift work, but we I also tried to avoid the ML season.

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not hunting CO any time soon, but just curious- how many points does it take to get into a unit where the volume of muzzleloader hunters is below the threshold of causing a dick dance like this?
In most units there are far less muzz hunters than archery hunters. Especially OTC archery units.

OXN939

WKR
In most units there are far less muzz hunters than archery hunters. Especially OTC archery units.

That's what I thought I'd seen from the numbers of permits issued. There are also units you have to draw an archery tag for that issue muzzleloader tags at the same time, correct?

This will be my first year in CO, we'll be hunting from the 3-12th. I'm wondering if we should expect to see ML hunters heading in early on Friday to set up camp or scouting? I'm hoping we can get it done before then, but we have 2 tags to fill. We picked earlier dates because of vacation time and my buddy's shift work, but we I also tried to avoid the ML season.
In my experience, people typically set up/scout early vs staying later into their season.

Reactions: CMF

CMF

WKR
That's what I thought I'd seen from the numbers of permits issued. There are also units you have to draw an archery tag for that issue muzzleloader tags at the same time, correct?
Yes, the unit we're in is draw, we picked up tags in the secondary, but there is an overlapping ML season.

The month of September is archery elk and with the muzzleloader being 12 thru the 20th how would that change your elk archery dates. Would u try to go before or after or it don't really affect it that much? Curious what people have noticed and what dates they would go archery elk hunting with that in mind. I also wondered with this droubt if it will push the rut back a bit like last year in new Mexico. Thanks.

IMO, the muzzy doesn't have a significant impact on the elk hunting. Most of the tags issued during this time of the year are archery. Just like most hunting do your e-scouting, boots on the ground if possible, and get away from roads and rec. trails.

TexasCub

WKR
IMO, the muzzy doesn't have a significant impact on the elk hunting. Most of the tags issued during this time of the year are archery. Just like most hunting do your e-scouting, boots on the ground if possible, and get away from roads and rec. trails.

This. I have muzzle loader hunted and only ran into maybe one other muzzleloader hunter, now Archery....well thats just plain crazy, theres no shortage of archery hunters in any unit!

tdhanses

WKR
The real question is, how do all the Archery hunters stomping around blowing their bugles effect the Muzzleloader hunters. Surely you can handle a week, being you already get the whole month
I archery hunt mostly but ML hunt every few years, personally I’d recommend all archery guys take the ML season off this year.

SteveinMN

FNG
Does a archery hunter have to wear orange during this early muzzleloader season?
The regs do not require it. I always wear a blaze hat and a patch on my backpack because it makes me feel safer. I'd rather not shot and honestly don't think these small pieces of gear are going to make a difference in my success.