How much does your gear cost for your hunts?

How much does your hunting gear cost for a hunt?

• <$1,000

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • $1,000-$5,000

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • $5,000-$10,000

Votes: 27 38.6%
  • $10,000+

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • I can't count that high!

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

cmeier117

WKR
I just saw someone post this question on facebook and thought it was a cool thing to ask. Everything you take in with you including your weapon, optics and what you are wearing? I forgot to say Retail cost... As a lot of have pro deals and get things on sale and such...

Last edited:

swat8888

WKR
Wow, I had never actually guesstimated that up before...my 10 day sheep hunt packing list comes out to $4500. That is excluding food, first aid and toiletry stuff. And consider I paid full price for almost nothing as I mostly pick up stuff on pro deals or sales. And I don't have very good glass, only about $500 between my binos and spotter so you guys with Swaro's are going to be alot higher than I.

dotman

WKR
I don't like to think about this. Probably over 7k when you add in bad purchases or items not liked plus old gear.

Last edited:
OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
I am pushing 6K and that is only 1800 in optics but I may be missing a few things.

Last edited:
OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
Just some rough numers I am at

$700 for pack
$1,200 for sleep system
$500 for gps
$200 for stove/water filters
$1,800 for optics
$400 for boots
$400 for clothing (need to upgrade this the most for next year.)
Plus all the other little things.

7mag.

WKR
I'm between 6500-7000, and that's not all high end gear. About half of my gear is "good enough, until I can afford to upgrade". I can't imagine some of you guys with all high end gear. My old boss added it up one time, and between all his Swaro glass, and custom rifle, plus Sitka clothes, he was over 12000 on one hunt.

tstowater

WKR
I was hoping to be closer to $5,000 than $10,000, but optics are a killer. By the time I figure EL binos and Swaro scope and tripod, Leica rangefinder and a gun with Leupold scope, I am at close to $5000 already and I have owned all of this at a minimum of 6 years and some more. KUIU has been a killer this year as I had to buy all new clothes due to a body size reduction. None of my old clothes were usuable. Also, new pack, sleeping bag and pad, etc., etc. I do expect to use all of this gear for years to come.

I don't know the total, nor do I want to know. I would hate to have a custom rifle or a bunch tied up in a tents, etc.

Rifle/Scope: $2500 (what its worth, not what we built it for)
Binos/Spotter: $1000
Pack: $700
Boots: $300
Clothing: $500
Sleep System: $500
Camera: $200

There are also a lot of items that'll nickel and dime you to death... knives, filters, cooking utensils, headlamp, batteries, gps...etc
Crazy to think I have that much money on my person at a single time! And how did I ever afford to buy that gear? lol

Mike

G Posik

WKR
Oh I would have to say in the 4-5k range. Man I really need yo start shoo lifting since this thread popped up. Never really thought about it. Just joking about the really thinking about it part:D

Glenn

ckleeves

WKR
Wow never thought about it and I don't really wanna know. Over 7k in optics. Hmm now I know why I'm so broke it all makes sense now thanks!

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
I did not mean to make you all depressed by asking the question... Just curious that is all, I also will not be held responsible for you deaths if anyone's wife finds out! :)

Matt,

PM your figure I am curious!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Let's hope our spouses don't find this thread

Only thing worse is when your spouse is your hunting partner! Take those scary numbers you are getting and multiply by TWO!

Guessing between optics for both of us, two BigRig packrafts, high quality pack each, and all our other gear we are starting to approach "I cant count that high, or if i can i really don't want to think about it...." :)

Least it's for a good cause!