How much does your pack weigh?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
These threads are pointless in reality. I don’t care what other people’s pack weighs. If you can do 8 days and have it weigh 40 pounds great, if it weighs 60 that is great to.

Not everyone carries the same gear. If you carry a tripod, spotter, binoculars, range finder, weapon, food, shelter, etc and compare it to someone carrying the same equipment then you could potentially learn something.

But people listing their pack weight except this or that or no tripod or spotter, why worry about what they pack.

If you want to cut weight, write down every little thing you take on your trip. When you use it, check it off your list. When you get home look at what you didn’t use and determine if it’s needed. The only item I bring I don’t want to use is a first aid kit, everything else is getting used. After a few trips of paying attention to what you pack verse what you use, you will stop taking extra items you never need.

Pack your bag and go.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
These threads are pointless in reality. I don’t care what other people’s pack weighs. If you can do 8 days and have it weigh 40 pounds great, if it weighs 60 that is great to.

Not everyone carries the same gear. If you carry a tripod, spotter, binoculars, range finder, weapon, food, shelter, etc and compare it to someone carrying the same equipment then you could potentially learn something.

But people listing their pack weight except this or that or no tripod or spotter, why worry about what they pack.

If you want to cut weight, write down every little thing you take on your trip. When you use it, check it off your list. When you get home look at what you didn’t use and determine if it’s needed. The only item I bring I don’t want to use is a first aid kit, everything else is getting used. After a few trips of paying attention to what you pack verse what you use, you will stop taking extra items you never need.

Pack your bag and go.
My point is I am thinking of buying some lighter weight items. Like a 3 lb tent vs 5 or a 2.5 lb sleeping bag vs 4 etc... And trying to justify the sometimes $200 price increase on an item for a few pounds.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I understand your point, but this thread is comparing an Apple, to an orange to a pineapple.

The weight of specific gear is relevant, but that hasn’t been discussed. You can figure roughly a $100 a pound to reduce most parts of your sleep system. But lighter isn’t always better. If you need a four season tent you may never find a 3 pound option. It all depends on your specific needs and your specific financial investment.

Depends on where I'm going, for how long, what kind of hunting I'm doing and which shelter/sleep system I need based on weather. Also how much snivel gear I want. Anywhere from 35-80lbs.

j33

WKR
My point is I am thinking of buying some lighter weight items. Like a 3 lb tent vs 5 or a 2.5 lb sleeping bag vs 4 etc... And trying to justify the sometimes $200 price increase on an item for a few pounds.

I made a list of upgrades and calculated on $/oz and worked up from there. Was pretty surprising, don’t forget resale value of what your replacing.

Hogyotedeer

Banned
It all depends on what you are doing are you hiking 5 to 10 miles setting camp and staying in one spot a base camp. or are you moving 15 miles each day. When I backpack I try to feep my weight low since it may be a 7 day 70 mile or more hike. If i am base camping sometimes It his 60 to 70 lbs especially winter camping.

30 pounds for 5 days, give or take, with a bow and everything to include water for the first 2 days. 3 more pounds for a rifle and 3 to 5 more for clothes if it gets below 30. I dont pack luxury items or super heavy optics as I think they have proven pointless for me.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
30 pounds for 5 days, give or take, with a bow and everything to include water for the first 2 days. 3 more pounds for a rifle and 3 to 5 more for clothes if it gets below 30. I dont pack luxury items or super heavy optics as I think they have proven pointless for me.

I would love to see the pack list?

I would love to see the pack list?
I am in the process of putting it together again for the year as we speak. I will post it up on here. Be forewarned...I rough it. People have tried to duplicate it and called me names afterwards.

dmess

FNG
It all depends on what you are doing are you hiking 5 to 10 miles setting camp and staying in one spot a base camp. or are you moving 15 miles each day. When I backpack I try to feep my weight low since it may be a 7 day 70 mile or more hike. If i am base camping sometimes It his 60 to 70 lbs especially winter camping.

Pretty much same for me. If I’m hunting out of a base camp for a week I’ll go a bit heavier but if I’m on the move I’ll get down below 50 lbs including water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wassid82

WKR
I mostly rifle hunt and do so OCT and NOV. My pack for a spike camp setup is 45-60. I wish it were 40-45. And I wish there were more creeks at my elevation so I didn't ever have receded elevation gain for additional days of water!

These threads are pointless in reality...

You're wrong...

These threads are extremely helpful for new people.

It lets you know what sort of weight to train for.

It gives you a sanity check. If you're at 90lbs, you need to rethink things. If you're at 30 lbs, you probably forgot stuff.

If you're at 70 pounds, you might want to look at what you can do to reduce weight.

If you're between 45 and 60, you're probably pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're wrong...

These threads are extremely helpful for new people.

It lets you know what sort of weight to train for.

It gives you a sanity check. If you're at 90lbs, you need to rethink things. If you're at 30 lbs, you probably forgot stuff.

If you're at 70 pounds, you might want to look at what you can do to reduce weight.

If you're between 45 and 60, you're probably pretty good.

I think that is your opinion. This same type of thread has been done a dozen times. And it is always my pack weighs this except for these other items. And in reality it doesn’t matter what someone else’s pack weighs. There are to many variable from each persons hunt, style of hunting, optic choices, solo or sharing weight and on and on. Pack what you need on your hunt to make you comfortable enough to stay and hunt.

I also doubt most people could tell the difference between a 50 pound pack and a 55 pound pack.

I think that is your opinion. This same type of thread has been done a dozen times. And it is always my pack weighs this except for these other items. And in reality it doesn’t matter what someone else’s pack weighs. There are to many variable from each persons hunt, style of hunting, optic choices, solo or sharing weight and on and on. Pack what you need on your hunt to make you comfortable enough to stay and hunt.

I also doubt most people could tell the difference between a 50 pound pack and a 55 pound pack.
But I'm new to this. It gives me a rough starting point.

For an experienced guy, I agree that it probably doesn't mean much

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I don't know about that, 5 pounds does make a difference on longer hunts and when you're packing everything out.
It would be almost like the difference between a full or empty 2l water bladder and I know I can feel that.

4 days/3 nights for archery season is like 39 pounds with everything besides the clothes on my body and boots. That includes 2L of water.

Just weighed mine at 41# with 5 days of food but no water. Bow in hand and not on pack. Water would add another 5-6# depending on known water sources In the area