How much does your pack weigh?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think if you want this thread to be the most helpful to new backpack hunters, you should post up your gear list and what each item weighs. Then people can get a much better idea based on what they do or don’t take. Random numbers are moot to me; some of these numbers are so low, I truly don’t believe them or people have never truly weighed their items. That’s just me.

That is mainly because the number doesn’t correspond to what you are taking. Many people don’t carry spotters and tripods, binoculars for that matter. That is important to know in your overall number.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
And the five pounds at heavier weight is not noticeable. How many people by day two have ate and drank five pounds worth of food and water and their pack feels exactly the same?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
These threads are pointless in reality. I don’t care what other people’s pack weighs. If you can do 8 days and have it weigh 40 pounds great, if it weighs 60 that is great to.

Not everyone carries the same gear. If you carry a tripod, spotter, binoculars, range finder, weapon, food, shelter, etc and compare it to someone carrying the same equipment then you could potentially learn something.

But people listing their pack weight except this or that or no tripod or spotter, why worry about what they pack.

If you want to cut weight, write down every little thing you take on your trip. When you use it, check it off your list. When you get home look at what you didn’t use and determine if it’s needed. The only item I bring I don’t want to use is a first aid kit, everything else is getting used. After a few trips of paying attention to what you pack verse what you use, you will stop taking extra items you never need.

Pack your bag and go.

yet here you are....

tdot

WKR
And the five pounds at heavier weight is not noticeable. How many people by day two have ate and drank five pounds worth of food and water and their pack feels exactly the same?

If someone tossed a 2.5 liter bladder of water in your pack, you wouldn't notice? I know that when I stop for water, I definitely notice the increase.

I agree with your other point though. Too many people leave off items and then lie to themselves about how much weight they are carrying. What's the point of bragging about a 25lb pack, if they have a 15lb bino harness and 12lb rifle?

Personally I feel that Skin-Out is the only way to track weight. If it's in your hand, on your chest or on your shoulders, it still has to be moved up the mountain.

Brk007

FNG
For a 5 day hunt, my pack weight is usually 46 before a little water for the hike in and the bow. Will be a little heavier this year with addition of spotting scope.

Poser

WKR
I agree with the above that these threads can be misleading if not useless unless we’re talking itemized gear lists. I just did 6 days with a spotting scope and tripod at 36 lbs. that weight felt “light” starting out most days, but felt “heavy” during the hardest parts of the hardest, longest days. 50-60 lbs packs, typical of backcountry hunting weights, can be reasonable when you hiking segments are broken up into chunks of about 4 hours or less. On long efforts with big elevation gains, any weight is “heavy”

cc98e599dc9a11fb6a28b328fb152b10.jpg

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I agree with the above that these threads can be misleading if not useless unless we’re talking itemized gear lists. I just did 6 days with a spotting scope and tripod at 36 lbs. that weight felt “light” starting out most days, but felt “heavy” during the hardest parts of the hardest, longest days. 50-60 lbs packs, typical of backcountry hunting weights, can be reasonable when you hiking segments are broken up into chunks of about 4 hours or less. On long efforts with big elevation gains, any weight is “heavy”

cc98e599dc9a11fb6a28b328fb152b10.jpg

nobody is forcing you to read anything you don’t want to. I swear you liberals are just pieces of trash, I mean imagine not caring about something so much that you just have to post to complain. Unreal.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Settle down on the name calling and political reference nonsense. The thread will get locked if that stuff continues.

You can agree to disagree on the content of the thread, but without the posts that have no place on Rokslide.

TravisIN

WKR
Settle down on the name calling and political reference nonsense. The thread will get locked if that stuff continues.

You can agree to disagree on the content of the thread, but without the posts that have no place on Rokslide.

Name calling and bickering over what people’s packs weigh!!2020 won’t quit geez

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It weights what it weights and not a pound more.

Last time I weighted it it was around 50 pounds with food for 3 days and 2 litres of water. That also includes my weapon and bino harness

These threads pop up and honestly don't worry about what other people's packs weigh. I take what I need and no more. I have never weighed my pack and don't plan to. You will learn what you need. And that will be your pack weight.
While I agree with the part about not worrying about what others packs weigh, I do weigh my individual items solely to look where I can trim weight by upgrading to lighter weight items.

While I agree with the part about not worrying about what others packs weigh, I do weigh my individual items solely to look where I can trim weight by upgrading to lighter weight items.

I too try to trim weight where I can. I just dont add it all up at the end of the day. I know what gear I need and that is what will be in my pack, no matter what. From there I strive to upgrade those items based off weight vs performance. Ultra light is not always the best option.

ncavi8tor

WKR
Being a very green backpack hunter from the East this thread is extremely informative and interesting to me. It has allowed me to see that I am not too far off from the average pack weight for my 7-9 day hunt. My gear selection evidently has been pretty solid and my confidence has been boosted a tiny bit knowing that I am well prepared. I'm still looking to shave a couple of pounds from my total weight, but I won't fret over it too much.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: WKR

bsnedeker

WKR
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but one of the things I do when comparing my current gear to any possible upgrades for the sake of weight I always calculate the cost/ounce I'm saving. For example, I was looking at getting a Dyneema tent. The cost/ounce to buy that tent was something like 100 dollars per ounce of savings. I ended up getting the Dan Durston 1-person tent which was under 13 dollars per ounce saved. The Dyneema tent would have been about 4 ounces lighter in total, but the juice wasn't even remotely worth the squeeze for me.

prm

WKR
With 6 days of food, gear for mid-Oct temps, not counting water, about 50 lbs. Does include rifle, ammo, bino harness, etc.

It takes a lot of hubris to suggest that merely observing how others do this, or any endeavor, is a waste of time.

Last edited:

Ohearchai

FNG
I always find these interesting to read. 50lbs+ pack in my 20 or 30's was doable, but past 50 now and that weight for me is a no go. Always looking to shed ounces, make it manageable for me.